Best place to work as optician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Optometry schools next year. My top two choices are ICO and UHCO. I work at a private office right now as an optician in illinois. I sell glasses and help with cl lense training. I want to work somewhere else since I am not learning much. Where else do you think I should apply to gain more experience? and even if I could volunteer or shadow a doctor that would be fine.

I applied at vision works and I got the job too but in the interview, they put soo much emphasis on sales that I declined their offer. I applied at lenscrafters and I even did drug test; they said they will call me later because I was taking few days off in december.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to learn, I would suggest being a tech instead of an optician, or asking can you come on your own hours and observe. I wouldn't expect an someone to hire you as an optician and then spend lots of time teaching you in the exam room.

What do you want to learn? IMHO commercial locations attract healthy people who only really want a glasses Rx. You could keep your job part time if you like, then ask the OD or another full scope OD if you can tag along.

Some ODs will love to teach and help, others will think you will just get in the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you want to learn? IMHO commercial locations attract healthy people who only really want a glasses Rx.

I'm greatly bothered when someone with no experience in a certain area speaks as if they were an authority on the subject. It would benefit all on this forum if you would "hold your tongue" on subjects related to commercial optometry or at the very least offer the disclaimer that you are ignorant regarding the subject.

I think that there is benefit in shadowing/working/dropping by a commercial location if only to realize that its not for you and you don't desire to work in such a location upon graduation from optometry school. It is difficult to offer advice when we don't know the whole story. I'm interested to know what you expect to be learning. While I am sure it would be fascinating to learn what happens in the exam room you'll get enough of it in school.

I'm greatly bothered when someone with no experience in a certain area speaks as if they were an authority on the subject. It would benefit all on this forum if you would "hold your tongue" on subjects related to commercial optometry or at the very least offer the disclaimer that you are ignorant regarding the subject.

I think that there is benefit in shadowing/working/dropping by a commercial location if only to realize that its not for you and you don't desire to work in such a location upon graduation from optometry school. It is difficult to offer advice when we don't know the whole story. I'm interested to know what you expect to be learning. While I am sure it would be fascinating to learn what happens in the exam room you'll get enough of it in school.

I'll admit, that line of reasoning is getting somewhat old. You don't have to personally experience it to know its bad. Unless other people are lying to you its not hard to hear what routinely happens. I'll take it from the local OMDs that commercial docs refer A LOT more out.

I want to work somewhere else because from couple of schools, I got a letter saying that I need more experience in the field. I don't know how much more they want. I have been working at private office for more than one and half year and shadowed one doctor for about 40 hours. I also volunteered at gift of sight for about 10 hours, and I also set up vision screenings for unite for sight at my school.

This is the only reason I am asking where I should work to gain better experience I guess...

Thank you for all of your inputs.

I'll admit, that line of reasoning is getting somewhat old. You don't have to personally experience it to know its bad. Unless other people are lying to you its not hard to hear what routinely happens. I'll take it from the local OMDs that commercial docs refer A LOT more out.

How are commercial ODs referring to OMDs more than private docs when you've already claimed that commercial ODs see mostly healthy patients? Could it be that they actually refer more because they see more unhealthy people (see below)?

I shouldn't read SDN when I'm not working. I get involved in asinine conversations when I do.

I would argue that the vast majority of patients that see that vast majority of optometrists (in either mode of practice) are "healthy people who only really want a glasses Rx". This has been my experience (versus your opinion). In addition I would argue that a commercial optometrist may be more likely to see UNhealthy people (who are still probably only seeking a glasses Rx) than a private practitioner simply because commercial practice seems to attract a different demographic than private practice. (i.e. uninsured. See the epidemiological Healthy Worker Effect).

The above is beside the point. The OP should experience as much of optometry as possible prior to entering school to determine whether or not optometry is for them. If this means taking a commercial job - go for it. I would assume, however, that shadowing would be sufficient.

How are commercial ODs referring to OMDs more than private docs when you've already claimed that commercial ODs see mostly healthy patients? Could it be that they actually refer more because they see more unhealthy people (see below)?

I shouldn't read SDN when I'm not working. I get involved in asinine conversations when I do.

I would argue that the vast majority of patients that see that vast majority of optometrists (in either mode of practice) are "healthy people who only really want a glasses Rx". This has been my experience (versus your opinion). In addition I would argue that a commercial optometrist may be more likely to see UNhealthy people (who are still probably only seeking a glasses Rx) than a private practitioner simply because commercial practice seems to attract a different demographic than private practice. (i.e. uninsured. See the epidemiological Healthy Worker Effect).

The above is beside the point. The OP should experience as much of optometry as possible prior to entering school to determine whether or not optometry is for them. If this means taking a commercial job - go for it. I would assume, however, that shadowing would be sufficient.

I hear your points, however....last week I saw a patient with complaints of headaches and temporary vision loss. The mom said: "We usually go to walmart for glasses exams, but I wanted to see you after this happened." Who knows how often this happens.