Best places to live for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DENTFRIO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard from many that some dental schools are not all that great to go to in the winter.... for all of you "outdoors" people, I think we should start a thread on the top ten best places to live as a dental student.... and the 10 not as great places to live.. at least until we get in somewhere! Cheers and thanks for the great posts!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would say speeking strictly from a location point of view and what ive heard from many dental and pre-dental students the schools in great locations would be

California
NYC
Arizona
Florida

Buffalo is a great school but almost every dental student I spoke to at my interview said the weather and location are extremely harsh (up to 3ft of snow and very little sun) and depressing.

Again this is only speaking location wise and coming from someone who loves warm sunny weather.

I live in Houston, TX, and my goodness, IT IS HOT AND HUMID!

As far as having fun outdoors goes, Houston is definitely not so high on my list..

Members don't see this ad :)
Colorado!!

The only downfall is that there is no beach.
Skiing, Snowboarding, Fishing, Hiking, and everything else... Colorado is the place to go it seems like :)

If you like various, unpredictable weather, then Pittsburgh the place to go!

If you like various, unpredictable weather, then Pittsburgh the place to go!
I hear the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada is awesome!

P.S. That was sarcastic...

If you want to go to a school for outdoors activities, there are too many to choose from. You can find pretty much everything in Cali. Seattle (UW) is great all year round for outdoors (if you can handle the 200 days of mistiness). Colorado - ahhh, skiing, rafting, rock climbing, hiking, fishing.... New York is great also, if you can handle the big city life, but great access to mountain activites. I could go on and on about the places you can go to school where there are great activites. As long as you avoid the lower to mid states of the midwest and the south, your choices are almost limitless all year round.

For me, I'd choose UW.

Actually, at UNC you're about 3 hours from both the beach and the mountains. That's the south, and includes limitless possibilities.

Tough to rank this...

There is a lot more than weather to take into consideration when choosing a place to live aside from the fact that different people like different weather. To someone who enjoys winter sports, Buffalo is great, while Florida or Arizona may seem awful...

I hear the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada is awesome!

P.S. That was sarcastic...

Easy now, lol.

I grew up in Saskatoon, SK. Don't live there anymore but my dad attended and taught at the university for years. The U of S campus is very nice and the weather during the summer is awesome. Very California like - lots of sun, dry, minimal humidity. Not gonna lie though, the winter's can be harsh... but you get used to it. Now I'm immune to frostbite :laugh:

Yea, I heard some of the colder states are not all that fun in the winter.., such as driving on ice, parking and walking a mile in sub zero weather... all considerations when having to live in a location for four years!!

well speaking of canada

Vancouver has consistantly been voted as the best city to live in the world (the ranking float between first and 3rd, depending on the year)

But university of british columbia requires extremely high dat/gpa score :(