best pocket book for a 4th yr elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markglt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have any sugg. on a good pocket book for a cc elect.?
thanks friends:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Mark -

There are a few I recommend:

1) Tarascon (sp?) has a little lilac colored book that gives great tidbits and dosages; nothing that you can really sit and sink your teeth into, but gives you rapid facts. Cheap and tiny. Worth it in my opinion.

2) Marino's "Little ICU Book" (or some such name; aka: Baby Marino). Condensed version of the Marino ICU Book that I assume you are reading from; small enough to carry, and deep enough to sit and read during downtime. I didn't use it on my med student rotations, but there was an intern that was reading it and he looked like a frickin' rockstar (cannot guarantee you the same results, but he said it was a great book).

3) Critical Care - I have no idea the actual name of the book; it's green and written by a surgical resident. There was a thread on this very subject several months ago, and I think I named it there. It's the one I used - bullet point format, which I loved after an admit - I'd create my differential, look up the big ones in that book, and then I'd have an idea of the pertinent clinical things and labs to get and treatments. Very nice. Narrow enough for the lab coat pocket, but thick.

Good luck with things.

dc

I will echo the Tarascon critical care book. Tarascon makes a bunch of subject-specific books, and the CC one is quite good. Small enough to be unobtrusive, but with enough specific info to be really useful. I'm a fellow and I still carry mine.