Technology Best Portable Media Player or App for watching lecture at double speed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornflakeschkn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a big fan of watching lecture at double speed (usually 1.7x) on Windows Media Player on my PC. Now I want to get a portable media player (i.e cell phone, tabletpc, etc) that will be able to do the same while I am on the go. I tried first with an ipod touch with no luck.

Could someone suggest a a portable device or app which will allow double speed on videos? (A friend recently suggested an HTC Evo4G but I havent been able to test it out. Any apps on the android market for doubling video speed?)

Members don't see this ad.

You can go 2x on an ipod touch -- just double tap the screen while its playing and then an option will pop up near the top right which says 1x or 2x, and tap it until it says 2x. i'm listening to a podcast right now which is double-speed.

You can go 2x on an ipod touch -- just double tap the screen while its playing and then an option will pop up near the top right which says 1x or 2x, and tap it until it says 2x. i'm listening to a podcast right now which is double-speed.

Wow, how could I have missed that. Are you sure one can do this with video? I know one can speed up audio podcasts but I dont remember video having that option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doubt it. Only way you can view WMP streams at higher speed on an actual Mac is installing Flip4Mac on Quicktime. The portable iOS isn't going to do it. You really want to stream a video lecture on your iPod Touch? Are you going to be using a microscope to read the slides?

Doubt it. Only way you can view WMP streams at higher speed on an actual Mac is installing Flip4Mac on Quicktime. The portable iOS isn't going to do it. You really want to stream a video lecture on your iPod Touch? Are you going to be using a microscope to read the slides?

I actually turn the asf into a video file of choice and so I am free to manipulate them. How about software which will allow me to easily double speed video files?

I have an iPad and haven't been able to get the playback to go any faster. Maybe the 2x playback speed works in the iPhone/iPod Touch only? Or I might be doing something wrong?

Does anyone know if there is an app available that will allow for a faster playback speed (ex: 1.5x)? There are many new free podcasts coming out on the iTunes store that are in video format and I want to be able to play them back faster.

By the time you download the asf and convert it you could have already watched the lecture.

True but I watch lecture multiple times so I would accrue a huge time savings in the end. Anyways, thread is dead will just use laptop.

Update: There's a recently released app for iPhone 4 called SpeedUpTV which allows you to 2x speed any MP4 video file. Awesome!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I recently switched to using my iPad for studying/lecture viewing and this program works great. I was looking for an app that would allow me to double speed through lectures, SpeedUpTV does this and more. You can go to the home screen or access other apps with the video audio still running in the background. There is a zoom feature that is easy to use. There are a few videos on YouTube of people going through the features of the app, I would recommend watching them if you are skeptical. Best $2.99 I have ever spent on an app, they could use a better name for the app though...