Best practice for someone struggling with C/P section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Snow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm currently going through the 10 Altius exams and I'm doing well on B/B and P/S, decent on CARS, but I cannot break 125/126 for C/P.

I'm going to go through TBR Gen chem and Physics books (content and passages) but I don't have any practice materials after I'm done with those.

What do you guys recommend specifically for gen chem and physics practice?
I have the old TPR 2013 Science workbook but I've heard that it is outdated and not representative (is this true?).
Would TBR passages, EK 30min exams, and KA C/P passages suffice?
Are KA C/P passages any good?

Any general tips for success on this section?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to decide what you are struggling with in CP. It's such a vast content area. It includes OChem I/II, Gen Chem I/II, Physics I/II, and some elements of biochemistry. That's 24 credit hours of classes (more than any other section of the MCAT requires). This is why this is such a hard section to improve without putting in so much work. CP is also a section that hasn't changed THAT much - so if you're struggling with Nailing down concepts - use the older material you have. Just be cognizant of questions that test concepts that are no longer tested.

You suggested many passages which are all great for practice and hammering down concepts. But, I would start with MC questions (EK 1001 passages (super cheap book), KA free passages , Question of the Day banks, MC Qbanks from different companies) are always really good. You can really start to refine your content weaknesses this way and figure out what areas you need to work on very easily. You will find that there are some types of questions you aren't able to answer more than others. This will allow you to go revisit your content books for those topic areas (and watch KA when you really aren't getting it). This will be much higher yield than practicing passages (especially since you've made it through the TBR books). The AAMC Question Packs are also really good for identifying your weak areas (although are NOT in the style of the new MCAT)

For additional passages - the TPR Science Workbook you are referring to and own will be great after you get through many MC questions and filled in your content gaps. Many highly recommend this book along with the TBR books you have already used. CP is very conceptual sometimes, and the content review itself is also very important (along with being able to answer MC/passage questions).

If you're struggling with experimental design want passages that emulate the new MCAT - the EK 30 minute passages and the Khan C/P passages will also be good. Just remember that both of these are harder than the real MCAT by a few notches - so don't feel discouraged and just LEARN from your mistakes. Make sure to also do the AAMC section bank (although this doesn't cover all the topic areas sadly) - but still gets you good at interpreting some tables/graphs - skills you need for the new exam.

You will also make significant gains using the FLs you currently have access too. Make sure you REVIEW your incorrect answers and the content surrounding it ALWAYS. Document your wrong answers if required for both FLs and other questions you do. Review this wrong answer document when possible so you get an understanding of what types of questions you miss.

Don't get discouraged by CP and put in the work if you want to move past where you are at. The amount of content in CP can be demonstrated by:
  • Khan spends 67 hours of their 144 hour MCAT playlist on this section.
  • The Berkeley Review spends 6/10 books on this section
  • Kaplan spends 3/7 of their books on CP
  • EK spends 2/6 of their books on CP
  • TPR spends 3/7 of their books on CP
  • I am not as familiar with the NS set.

You should realize that it's a non-proportional amount of work to improve the CP section when it comes to content review.Put in the work and you will see results!

Also: Understand/visualize what is going on. Appreciate units. Get good at dimensional analysis, table/figure interpretation. That is half the CP section.

Also - don't ignore reviewing Ochem (not sure if you are).

Wow thanks for the thorough answer!
I really like ochem and I review my notes for it frequently and have looked at all the ochem passages in TBR so I will probably not dedicate anymore time for ochem specific passages outside of full lengths

My main problem in C/P is calculation questions and physics questions.
Some of the calculations on FLs I've taken are like 5 steps so I usually just ignore those ones because I don't think they will show up on the exam. And if they do I probably wouldn't waste my time trying to figure them out.

Physics I'm just terrible at so I need to do more content review and passages but I don't want to waste my time on bad resources with unrealistic practice questions.

I had to spend a lot of time on physics. I found that the website HyperPhysics was useful. So were YouTube videos that included animations - they helped me visualize concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you use for content review?

I read through TBR books (except for physics) and made really good notes on them. I have about 10 pages of notes per subject (chem/physio/biochem/etc). I review 1 subject everyday so I'm basically going over all my notes once per week. This takes me about an hour or 2. Then I do as many practice problems or anki note cards I can do for the rest of the night unless I have school related home work. I also do 5-6 CARS passages per day.

I have a little less than 3 months to go before my MCAT and I'm dedicating most of that time to C/P and CARS practice

I read through TBR books (except for physics) and made really good notes on them. I have about 10 pages of notes per subject (chem/physio/biochem/etc). I review 1 subject everyday so I'm basically going over all my notes once per week. This takes me about an hour or 2. Then I do as many practice problems or anki note cards I can do for the rest of the night unless I have school related home work. I also do 5-6 CARS passages per day.

I have a little less than 3 months to go before my MCAT and I'm dedicating most of that time to C/P and CARS practice

I recommend that you switch to a new resource for C/P. You need to see information for the new MCAT presented in a different way and while practice would help with a 125 there are some content gaps