Best Practice Tests other than AAMC + Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plue00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a couple of old threads on this topic but I wanted some new information.

I'm signed up to take the January 13, 2015 test. I took the August 21, 2014 MCAT and messed up, got stuck on one PS passage and messed up the timing so bad I had to void. :/ I haven't taken a practice test since my actual MCAT, so I'm kind of rusty here.

I still have AAMC 8, 9 and 10 left, which I will definitely take. I know AAMC tests are the best, but I wanted to get more tests in. I will hopefully be done with content review around December 29-30 and take practice tests everyday from Dec 31-Jan 12, in addition to trill to drilling problems.
  • In addition to those, what other tests are good to take? I basically wanted to take a practice tests a day after my second round of content review (this time, much more condensed). I heard that the 10 Gold Standard tests were good, and they're 15 each (150 total) and I've saved up enough to buy them if that's recommended.
  • Also, what's the best for physics review? I ordered wikipremeds flashcards and will try to do as much of the 1001 EK as I can.
  • And last but not least, what are the best for verbal? Other than EK101 and TPRH, which I've unfortunately exhausted.
These were my AAMC practice tests scores I took prior to my August 21, 2014 exam.
AAMC 3: 12/9/12 = 33 (PS/V/BS)
AAMC 4: 11/11/13 = 35 (PS/V/BS)
AAMC 5: 12/9/13 = 34 (PS/V/BS)
AAMC 7: 10/10/13 = 33 (PS/V/BS)
AAMC 11: 11/9/12 = 32 (PS/V/BS)

I would love to get a 31-32 on the real MCAT, something like 10/10/11 or 11/10/11 would make me ecstatic.

Thank you guys for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Plue,

I dislike your avatar, but that's besides the point. FULL LENGTHS -- TPR CBTs are the second best full lengths behind AAMC. After that I would say Kaplan comes in third. (However, only trust AAMC practice test scores. You were apparently wise to save some.)

For PHYSICS, use EK if you want short, or use Nova MCAT Physics if you want the most clear and easy to understand explanations out there. If you haven't read one of these, Amazon might have a preview of them or maybe there's a preview online somewhere. A good MCAT prep tutor can do wonders for physics as well. Some teach crash courses. For tutoring, I've found Wyzant to be very helpful since they will let you pick your own tutor, read profiles, and don't require a commitment. Just remembered that I personally like Chad videos too.

VR -- There's no substitute for AAMC, so make sure that you are familiar with AAMC's style by test day. I recommend doing at least 3 AAMC passages a week when you are this close to the real test. Other than that, TPR which you've used comes in second IMO. Kaplan and Gold Standard would be a distant third IMO.

Good job on your practice tests! Hope to hear about your actual score next month.

Reactions: 1 user
Plue,

I dislike your avatar, but that's besides the point. FULL LENGTHS -- TPR CBTs are the second best full lengths behind AAMC. After that I would say Kaplan comes in third. (However, only trust AAMC practice test scores. You were apparently wise to save some.)

For PHYSICS, use EK if you want short, or use Nova MCAT Physics if you want the most clear and easy to understand explanations out there. If you haven't read one of these, Amazon might have a preview of them or maybe there's a preview online somewhere. A good MCAT prep tutor can do wonders for physics as well. Some teach crash courses. For tutoring, I've found Wyzant to be very helpful since they will let you pick your own tutor, read profiles, and don't require a commitment. Just remembered that I personally like Chad videos too.

VR -- There's no substitute for AAMC, so make sure that you are familiar with AAMC's style by test day. I recommend doing at least 3 AAMC passages a week when you are this close to the real test. Other than that, TPR which you've used comes in second IMO. Kaplan and Gold Standard would be a distant third IMO.

Good job on your practice tests! Hope to hear about your actual score next month.

Why do you say the TPR exams (also specify which ones test 1,2, cracking etc.) Are better then say Kaplan or TBR

Why do you say the TPR exams (also specify which ones test 1,2, cracking etc.) Are better then say Kaplan or TBR

My experience is that TPR CBT exams (#1-10 or something) are more similar to AAMC full lengths and reasonably consistent in difficulty. My issue with Kaplan, having taken the full Kaplan course, is that their tests seem to start out really difficult (more so than AAMC), and then get much easier toward the end of the course. That was my experience and what most of my class thought. I've also seen that opinion on SDN a few times.

I know nothing about TBR (Berkeley Review) tests and have not tried them. I would be interested in where you think they fit in to the ranks, if and when you take them.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of polls from the past five years (at least) that rank the various practice exams. You will get very good feedback on the pros and cons of each there. At the risk of sounding self-promoting, I strongly suggest you see the list in those because of how well BR exams came out.

Reactions: 2 users
My experience is that TPR CBT exams (#1-10 or something) are more similar to AAMC full lengths and reasonably consistent in difficulty. My issue with Kaplan, having taken the full Kaplan course, is that their tests seem to start out really difficult (more so than AAMC), and then get much easier toward the end of the course. That was my experience and what most of my class thought. I've also seen that opinion on SDN a few times.

I know nothing about TBR (Berkeley Review) tests and have not tried them. I would be interested in where you think they fit in to the ranks, if and when you take them.

I did a TPR tests included with a book I bought. Was not even close in difficulty or curve. TPR tests will depress you.
Nothing like the AAMCs in my opinion.
They asked way too many specifics and were too wordy. Didn't even count the scores as practice scores. It would have depressed me.

I have heard the opposite, that TPR exams are at the bottom of the list. I would do either GS or TBR. Seeing as GS is cheaper, if you are looking to save some money go with those.

So many conflicting answers... can someone link me to the poll?

More replies would also be useful!

I can't compare them to anything, but I like the BR exams a lot. Taking and reviewing them has definitely boosted my AAMC score. The verbal's not great, but I think the science sections are really good – tough, but in a similar way to the AAMC material I've seen.

There are plenty of polls from the past five years (at least) that rank the various practice exams. You will get very good feedback on the pros and cons of each there. At the risk of sounding self-promoting, I strongly suggest you see the list in those because of how well BR exams came out.

I've heard this from several people which is why I ordered 5 CBTs (form mailed and received weeks ago). I was wondering how long it takes for a home-study form to be processed for 5 CBTs? Tried calling/emailing TBR but no response! My MCAT is Jan 15 and I'd like to take full advantage of those CBTs--your help would be appreciated!

Since company tests should only be used for practice (application, critical analysis, timing, etc.) and not for predictive power, the best company tests to take is not to mean the ones that try to mirror the test itself the best (because they all fail in some regard or another). The best practice tests will over prepare you, but in a good way, not a unnecessary pull-your-hair-out in frustration way. With that said, take TBR. They do a crack up job!

GS re-invented their exams since SN2'ed ranked them and a lot of people like it. And from what I've seen on the forums, I would suggest this. Remember these rank BELOW AAMC exams obviously:

AAMC and THENNNN:
1. TBR ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
2. GS (Most cost effective)
3. TPR ($$$$$$$$$$ if you buy the prep course; $$$ if you use the versions you get from their book sold on Amazon/bookstores. And yes, they are different!)