1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Best practice tests simulating the real deal?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Ailleurs, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Ailleurs

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've read through some threads here and I don't think there's one that discusses which practice tests (other than the AAMC ones) are better than others in terms of practice (there are threads on best predictors, but I dont' think that's necessarily the same.. or just it's not in my opinion :rolleyes:).

I understand that any practice test is good, but under a time crunch I'd prefer (as I know others would too) to take practice tests that relatively simulate the real deal.

So what are your thoughts? DoKaplan practice tests fare better than those of Princeton Review's? Or are each of theirs similar? I've read mixed reviews on the 30+ CBT MCAT thread and so I wanted to come to a general consensus. Or as close to one as possible. :p

Also, for those of you who have taken Berkeley Review's practice tests (from someone here, I read he heard they were really good practice), are they good? They are very expensive!

So please, list those practice tests that you think "helped" you the most, exlcuding the AAMC ones, because we all know those are a must :rolleyes:

2. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have not taken a TPR practice exam but based on what I have heard, it is not as accurate a predictor of how the real MCAT feels like as Kaplan exams are.

Hopefully someone who has taken both TPR and Kaplan can post to help you out.

I thought my MCAT this past August was basically a mix between AAMC and Kaplan in style (with VR being a typical AAMC VR, and the sciences being a merge of the two).

I read on SDN that Kaplan FL 8 or 9 [not sure which?, think it was 8] is the most accurate of the Kaplan FLs. Luckily I did not get to it when taking my first MCAT so I am using it as one of my "fresh-never-taken-before" tests on my retake.

3. Ailleurs

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ^ Really?! I've always thought the TPR ones were better than Kaplan's. But then I talk "blindsighted," since I've actually taken neither. Thanks for your feedback :D

4. Sleight

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have been trying to figure out the same thing! I don't know which tests to buy (because I can't buy them all and I do not have time to take every last one of them). I am planning on buying the AAMC ones but from there I don't know...I am doing EK stuff so I might buy theirs but I don't know...

5. drdave2be

drdave2be D.O.CTOR
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They're not practice exams, however, the ExamKrackers 1001 Q's in Chem, Physics, Biology, Orgo have helped me out a TON! Complete with explanations of solutions, they cover each topic with a wide bredth of question types so you can pinpoint your weaknesses. About $30-40 per book (if you buy used online, make sure the user didn't mark the answers.

Hope this helps

6. RoadRunner17

RoadRunner17 Fleet of feet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

AAMC 9 and 10 are good tests to take near the end as they are good indicators of the real deal, give or take a few more tougher questions. I didn't like the Kaplan FL's past FL 8, though - they got too ridiculous and was not representative at all of what you'll see... it's more useful as super tough practice passages to continue working on your critical thinking/conceptual understanding.

I thought Berkeley Review's science sections on their FL's were great practice as they tend to be made up of more difficult conceptual passages. It's good to have the WTF? moments in practice than on the actual test, that's for sure.

My two cents.

7. Anotherface

Anotherface Needs to get off ***
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Try to get as many of the AAMC tests as you can. If you can do them all, they are great practice. I don't really remember each individual test, but I do remember that they each emphasized different BS/PS topics

8. 229141

Pre-Medical
    All AAMC, All BR, whatever Kaplan and TPR you can find, then Goldstandard. Buy all good practice tests and don't worry about price..its cheaper than not getting into med school