Best prep for oral boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinipig523

I like my job!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on prepping for the oral boards?

I was interested in the Ohio Acep River's Oral Review Book... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

dude!! you're waaayyy far away from them aren't you?? do the practice ones through <common residency program> and get the feedback. the practice cases are the most useful part of the whole thing. book or cd board review courses can't help w/ that...

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips on prepping for the oral boards?

I was interested in the Ohio Acep River's Oral Review Book... thoughts?

I liked EM Pearls for the oral boards (orange book)...

Didn't take a course as I felt the stuff I did in residency (including county-wide oral boards practice, which as you should know given your training program, is run by the same peeps that do ICEP's course) was adequate.

It's just a game. A little medicine, sure, but the oral cases aren't chimeric zebras and as long as you nail down your routine, you'll be fine.

That said, ICEP's course takes place in the same hotel at Cumberland & Higgins in Chicago as the real deal... some like feeling comfy with their surroundings.

But, agree with above... worry about the qualifying exam FIRST.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Another vote for the AAEM course. I did mine in Chicago and it was 2 days of very high yield mock sessions. It's on the pricey side of things but in hindsight...worth it.

Mock sessions are absolutely critical. Knowledge is secondary. A case may hinge on a smell, ie bitter almonds and cyanide, and unless you're in the habit of asking, "What do I see and smell when I walk in room?" then you'll blow the entire case. To me, the orals are absurd and should be eliminated, but if you learn how to play the "oral boards game," that's all you need to pass. If you don't think to say, "Put patient on O2, place IV, monitor," you lose points, where in real life it's happening automatically without you saying it. Stuff like that.

Mock sessions until you're blue in the face.

I practiced with friends and used the Okuda book. I have a residency colleague/friend who is a very savvy test-taker who ran cases with me and another colleague who is a talented teacher helped me run cases. In total I probably spent 5 hours prepping with others and another 8 hours reading on my own. I kept on wanting to do more, but work was busy. Passed, so I guess all is good.

AAEM course comes highly recommended. I think those that took it probably walked out more confident about having passed, but it seems like a lot of time, effort, and money for a test with such a high pass rate.

My prep (~3 weeks):

• Carol River's once (kind of a rushed read, listened to the CD once)
  • Okuda (2/3rds, rushed)
  • AAEM course
There were no surprises on board day. I agree that it's much more about gamesmanship vs medical knowledge.

I'd recommend taking a few days off leading up to the boards for some last minute review and to re-set your circadian clock if you are on nights or swings, etc.. I had been on nights and had plenty of days to reset so I was fresh on exam day.