Best Prep Material for Bio/Physics/Orgo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to study for my mcats come winter break and I am interested in getting everyone's opinion on what prep books I should get. I need something that will Reteach me Bio/Physics. A book that will help me master bio/physics! Orgo I am not too bad at but I'd still like to know the best prep books to get ?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, but no simple answer. It depends on what you already used. I would start with Examkrackers, they are very concise and cover the most important aspects. IF you have the time and money, also get The Berkeley Review and if you have even more time and money get The Princeton Review as well. Have you read SN2ED's schedule? It's right on the main MCAT page. There are also other guides.

You will know that you are ready once your scores on average on the practice tests (Full Lengths) are good enough. Until then keep studying and use a lot of materials. Remember that the MCAT is made my multiple authors. Therefore, a broad foundation is neccessary.
Good luck! :luck:

Good question, but no simple answer. It depends on what you already used. I would start with Examkrackers, they are very concise and cover the most important aspects. IF you have the time and money, also get The Berkeley Review and if you have even more time and money get The Princeton Review as well. Have you read SN2ED's schedule? It's right on the main MCAT page. There are also [URL=" guides[/URL].

You will know that you are ready once your scores on average on the practice tests (Full Lengths) are good enough. Until then keep studying and use a lot of materials. Remember that the MCAT is made my multiple authors. Therefore, a broad foundation is neccessary.
Good luck! :luck:

Thank you.
I am a little confused with where to start, its slightly over whelming. I've gotten the impression that TBR is one of the best prep materials, so I am leaning towards them. I've read around and people say the TBR book has too much indepth cell bio info?

And on SN2EDs schedule, he says

"Materials:

- Berkeley Review (BR) General Chemistry
- BR Organic Chemistry
- Examkrackers (EK) Biology for non-detailed approach OR The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (TPR) Biology/BR Biology for a detailed approach (In the schedule, I will use EK Bio because most prefer a non-detailed approach)
- BR Bio

- BR Physics
- EK 1001 series, excluding EK 1001 Bio (i.e. do NOT buy EK 1001 Bio)
- EK Verbal 101
- TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook or Berkeley Review Verbal
- AAMC Full Length (FL) #3-5 and 7-11 (AAMC #6 is not available at the moment)

You're using EK Bio for content review and BR Bio for passages. If you need more detail during in your content review, refer to BR Bio. "

I am sorry if this seems like a dumb question but is the schedule set up so your using the BR books to review and using the EK1001 books to do more practice problems?

BR to review, and EK1001 for practicing the content, and then TBR passages for actual MCAT practice.

EK Bio is used in place of TBR Bio for review, but TBR passages are still used.

Members don't see this ad :)
Examkrackers Biology contains everything you need to know about bio, and delivers this info in a concise, targeted manner. Highly recommended. EK O-chem was very concise but was definitely enough for me; but if you like details, look elsewhere. If you totally need to relearn physics, EK is not where you want to start. I used NOVA's the MCAT Physics Book and supplemented it with EK Physics to add more detail. I was given the opportunity to look over a friend's Berkeley Review material, and it seemed a bit excessive to me, tbh. If I had all the time in the world to study MCAT stuff, I may have used BR. But I was doing many other things at the time.

Yeah man, TBR can be very excessive and overwhelming - don't fret.. But they expose you to a lot of different ideas and eventually this will shape you. Def. use EK to tie things together. Try to understand everything but if some things in TBR freak you out, don't obsess on every detail. With EK for the other hand, I would make sure to understand everything because it's concise.

Ideally you will know once you are ready when you are taking FL's and review all mistakes that you made. 1001 questions can also help you to practice. Review and practice can go hand in hand as long as you are somewhat prepared to start taking practice tests.