Best president for military medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AF M4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which candidate (either party) do you think would be most beneficial for the military and military medicine if elected?

I still remember liking Wesley Clark from the previous election, yet I'm not sure how much his policy ideas have changed since he's rarely mentioned these days.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm, from a strictly "best for military medicine" standpoint, we're probably better off having a president who will end OIF.

I have been told that the military traditionally does better with its social programs - to include medicine - under democrats, while we get more and cooler killing toys under republicans. I have neither the knowledge nor the perspective to judge that statement, but if true...

Members don't see this ad :)
Which candidate (either party) do you think would be most beneficial for the military and military medicine if elected?

I still remember liking Wesley Clark from the previous election, yet I'm not sure how much his policy ideas have changed since he's rarely mentioned these days.

Careful! I think this just might start a charged political debate. And those aren't really allowed amongst us military folk.

You'll get different answers depending on who you ask - and most of the time, their answer will reflect their political afilliation.

However, both answers above seem to carry good unbiased insight and if that trend can continue then more power to this forum.

Considering that both parties have been in power for the past um, forever, I don't think that either hold much promise for being reformers. Insofar as military medicine is essentially a social program (politically speaking), it'll only get as much attention as needed to keep it off the media radar screen.

Careful! I think this just might start a charged political debate. And those aren't really allowed amongst us military folk.

You'll get different answers depending on who you ask - and most of the time, their answer will reflect their political afilliation.

However, both answers above seem to carry good unbiased insight and if that trend can continue then more power to this forum.

Ya, the answers have been great so far.

I didn't think that political debates are forbidden, although I do remember something vague about not criticizing the C-in-C. I can afford to take chances though since I think I accidentally transposed the digits of my apartment number on that address update form I filled out for my civilian internship. There's no way they can find me now.

NONE!

I don't think that any of your politicians get it, period!

I will use Hilary as an example. She talks about how doctors make too much money and how we need to socialize medicine. That is all and well but let me ask you, if we socialized medicine and people were still suing docs for millions of dollars over ridiculous things, how long would it be before we'd have a dangerous shortage of doctors?

On the other hand, if any opponents were to address the malpractice crisis, there still would be an issue with healthcare access for US citizens.

The point is, some have good ideas, but they just don't get the whole picture. My opinion is, a person who is not a healtcare provider trying to solve a healthcare problem is just not a good idea. And who in Washington is a former healthcare provider?

And in regards to military medicine, let's face it, nobody gets it! The system is so disorganized there is no hope for it and I really do not think that any presidental candidate has this on their agenda.

NONE!

I will use Hilary as an example. She talks about how doctors make too much money and how we need to socialize medicine. That is all and well but let me ask you, if we socialized medicine and people were still suing docs for millions of dollars over ridiculous things, how long would it be before we'd have a dangerous shortage of doctors?

On the other hand, if any opponents were to address the malpractice crisis, there still would be an issue with healthcare access for US citizens.

The point is, some have good ideas, but they just don't get the whole picture. My opinion is, a person who is not a healtcare provider trying to solve a healthcare problem is just not a good idea. And who in Washington is a former healthcare provider?

And in regards to military medicine, let's face it, nobody gets it! The system is so disorganized there is no hope for it and I really do not think that any presidental candidate has this on their agenda.

Good take on things.

None of the politicians are going to be "good" for military medicine, period. And "Military Medicine" isn't really on any of their radar screens. They just need to do enough to keep it out of the media, and it really isn't an issue. (At least from their standpoint.)

A couple of personal opinions.
- Shouldn't really think in terms of "Military Medicine", but medicine as a whole or military issues as a whole. Both of these do get attention, but not as a specific sub-segment.
- John Edwards would be BAD for medicine in general. (Personal Opinion, just don't like him either.) In fact, though he is a senator for NC, while I lived there I never talked to anyone who admitted to voting for him. Not sure where his support comes from.
- Hillary Clinton would probably also be bad for medicine in general. Her big push years ago (while not in any office!!) was for socialized medicine. The military system is socialized medicine. Essentially she would like to see the whole country on a system more in line with what we already have in the military. That's not to even get into her stand on anything else. She is more pure politician than most of the others. She will say or do whatever it takes to get into or stay in office. (My opinion, not a good choice for a number of reasons.)
- For most of the other candidates there is little to no distinguishing differences.
- John McCain is the other mention. I don't know his stand on military medicine in particular, but I do believe he has some first hand knowledge of it. Of all the candidates I think he would be the best for the military in general. For the time being this is where my support goes.

FWIW, I am an independant and register that way when possible. I have voted for Democrats, Republicans and Independants of various stripes. From my standpoint, McCain is the best option at this time, though none have any particular strong point for miltary medicine in particular.

- John McCain is the other mention. I don't know his stand on military medicine in particular, but I do believe he has some first hand knowledge of it. Of all the candidates I think he would be the best for the military in general. For the time being this is where my support goes.

FWIW, I am an independant and register that way when possible. I have voted for Democrats, Republicans and Independants of various stripes. From my standpoint, McCain is the best option at this time, though none have any particular strong point for miltary medicine in particular.

Although I like McCain's stance on most issues (and admire him as a person), he would be very bad for military medicine b/c he wants to keep OIF going strongly. Staying in Iraq is not a good thing for the military medical system, nor is it for the military. We weren't prepared for a war this long while also fighting in afghanistan (especially when the benefits to the US are more theoretical than tangible). Ask any recruiter if the quality of applicants now (for any aspect of the military) is the same as they were getting five years ago.

NONE!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about any presidential hopeful enacting scoialized medicine once their in office. No matter what their rhetoric. Big HMO has too much money for campaign contributions and to much leverage via lobbyist for any progress in this field. And besides, socialized medicine, I think, would be a god-send.

BLACK MARKET MEDICINE. Not only many more get the minimum care they need, but those who are affluent enough to bypass queues will be much more willing to pay cash for procedures. I'm sure under a socialized system docs will be able to bank just as much, perhaps even more then now because of this. A little FYI for those who care about the dirty dirty money.

Downside, military medicine will probably be less inclined to increase benefits for docs because the civilian sector will 'look' much more like mil med does now and there'll be less financial incentive to leave the military (unless you get so frustrated that you can't stand it anymore).