Best/Productive Pre-med activities during a long COVID winter break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a sophomore student who has somewhat recently decided they want to be a doctor. I didn't know that I wanted to be a doctor going into college, but after some hard reflection a year ago, I decided that it would be the most fulfilling career path for me.

Luckily, I wanted to keep the option in the cards so I haven't screwed myself over in anyway - at a very competitive school, have a lot of pre-reqs done, good GPA (3.95), etc.
My main concern is that outside of academics and extracurriculars (I'm a varsity athlete and am starting a club this coming semester) I am pretty underdeveloped. I've done no research, volunteering, or shadowing. What would you all reccomend a pre-med does with their time over this long winter break (considering all the restrictions due to COVID)? I'll be having my fair share of rest and fun non-academic activities, but I also want to be productive since I have almost a month and a half.

I'm planning on applying for research opportunities and internships over break, but I'm fairly lost in that regard - are there any places you'd reccomend looking at for an inexperienced pre-med with a good GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

There’s nothing clinical that you can realistically start atm due to the pandemic.

I’d look for solid sources of longitudinal nonclinical volunteering, like with a homeless shelter or a food bank.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm learning MATLAB! My understanding is that MATLAB and R are used in clinical and public health research pretty often, so I want to be able to bring hard skills to a research team in med school :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Research the opportunities in your area and find out what you can get involved in. Probably nothing else you can do on break.

Reactions: 1 users
Tutoring for underprivileged kids is one.

One activity that will benefit everyone (pre-med or not) is to develop a daily routine to maintain work-life balance. This can involve experimenting with how many times to meditate a day, when is the best time to exercise to avoid fatigue and experience the pleasure of endorphins, what to reflect on when journaling to develop new life perspectives :)