Best program I have a shot at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurestrip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a 3rd year DO student looking to go into IM preferably at an academic IM place in the northeast. I want to keep my options open for fellowship open (cards, GI, pulm/cc) and want to make it as easy as possible by going to the best program I can. NE is preferred but I'm willing to go as far as Chicago/Cleveland if it means I can get into a solid academic place. Programs in NYC (big 4 (lol I know), monte?), philly (TJ, Temple), DC (GW,GU) is what I'm aiming for but locations isn't the most important thing I'd just prefer to be closer to family and in a decent city. What is important is I go to a program that will set me up for the fellowship of my choice.

Honored my core clerkships except FM and Surgery which were high pass.

Step 1: 253
Level 1: 678
No research at all, not much extracurriculars
Bottom 25% of my class (attendance was graded)

Assuming my Step 2 and Level 2 are in the same range what are the best IM programs I can expect interviews from if I apply very broadly?
Input from current residents or attendings would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Rather than worrying about what you have a shot at, why not just apply to them and see if you get an interview? If you apply broadly, you'll be able to weigh all of your options. The big 4 are likely not within reach, but if you can afford to apply to them, you can account for a lucky break. Applying to residency is far less expensive than applying to medical school with regard to application fees, so I say just go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Rather than worrying about what you have a shot at, why not just apply to them and see if you get an interview? If you apply broadly, you'll be able to weigh all of your options. The big 4 are likely not within reach, but if you can afford to apply to them, you can account for a lucky break. Applying to residency is far less expensive than applying to medical school with regard to application fees, so I say just go for it.

I hear what you're saying and will be applying everywhere. I'm not really worried I just wanna know what programs are realistic interview chances based on other people's experiences. I'm sure I'll match somewhere I just want to get opinions on how much of a detriment being a DO or not having research is. Also it would be helpful for setting up Sub-Is and aways for next year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar step 1 score, step 2 score in the 260s, missed AOA but had very good grades and letters. Best programs I got were baylor, U colorado, Case Western, UVA, OHSU along with similar ranked but not as "prestigious" such as Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, UIC, Loyola, Rush, Indiana.
These are probably in the top 35 range and I was an MD.
As a DO with a worse class rank than I had, my guess is you most of your interviews will probably be a tier below the above programs (e.g MCW, Nebraska, SLU, etc). Honestly, this is just a rough guess based on the people I saw at my interviews. You will definitely get some in the above range as well but not probably not all given that you're a DO unfortunately.
I am from the mid-west so I am more familiar with these mid-tier programs. You will still get academic programs that will let you match into good fellowships. Look at the class lists of various residencies. That is the best way to see how many DOs they take.
Good luck.

Academic IM is getting really competitive, even more so for a DO. I would add NYU Winthrop, which technically is considered academic now because they started their medical school last year. Look at which programs have DOs as residents to gauge where you are likely to interview. I remember Temple having some DOs, not sure about NSLIJ.

apply broadly

u’ll get into a university program if u apply broadly

How broadly lol? I'd like to at least be in a decent city (preferably in the NE) rather than the middle of nowhere. Are you speaking from experience as a DO?

PGY-1 DO here. Similar Level 1 score as you and lower Step 1. But I was top 3 in class, had some research, gold humanism, and SSP. Academic NE/coastal programs notoriously more difficult for everyone including DOs. Sorry, but the Big 4 are are no-go unless you have an extremely special connection to 1 (research mentor, close family member, extremely strong legacy, etc.). Good news - you should get interviews and match at an academic program, with a good chance in the NE. Think Gtown/GW, Temple, etc. I'm not as familiar with NE. IF you expanded to midwest you'd have a field day (ohio state, indiana, cleveland clinic, MCW, Loyola, Minnesota, Mizzou, Kansas, SLU, Nebraska, Cincy). These are solid, research institutions with great faculty, connections, etc. that'll allow you to do whatever you want to do - cards, GI, pulm/cc, heme/onc. I interviewed at most of these places and know DOs who interviewed/matched at all of them with similar stats.

Opinions may differ from mine, but if you are wanting to specialize, I would strongly urge an academic university IM program over any community program or community, but university-affiliated program. It just makes life easier, trust me. For instance, would favor Ohio State over NYU Winthrop.

PGY-1 DO here. Similar Level 1 score as you and lower Step 1. But I was top 3 in class, had some research, gold humanism, and SSP. Academic NE/coastal programs notoriously more difficult for everyone including DOs. Sorry, but the Big 4 are are no-go unless you have an extremely special connection to 1 (research mentor, close family member, extremely strong legacy, etc.). Good news - you should get interviews and match at an academic program, with a good chance in the NE. Think Gtown/GW, Temple, etc. I'm not as familiar with NE. IF you expanded to midwest you'd have a field day (ohio state, indiana, cleveland clinic, MCW, Loyola, Minnesota, Mizzou, Kansas, SLU, Nebraska, Cincy). These are solid, research institutions with great faculty, connections, etc. that'll allow you to do whatever you want to do - cards, GI, pulm/cc, heme/onc. I interviewed at most of these places and know DOs who interviewed/matched at all of them with similar stats.

Opinions may differ from mine, but if you are wanting to specialize, I would strongly urge an academic university IM program over any community program or community, but university-affiliated program. It just makes life easier, trust me. For instance, would favor Ohio State over NYU Winthrop.

This is very true. I agree. Applying in the midwest would likely put you in a different tier in terms of caliber of program. Case Western main campus, OSU, Indiana, and Iowa are all places that could be possibilities and have great academic connections, but they are often overlooked because of imperfect albeit very livable locations. And there are myriad programs like these.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless I'm mistaken, Iowa doesn't have a strong track record of accepting DOs.

Don't do residency in NYC. It's not worth it.
Boston, Philly are better alternatives.

Edit: Might be better as a fellow because a lot less scut while still seeing diversity and volume. Fellowship (except for GI) is an easier match too.

Don't do residency in NYC. It's not worth it.
Boston, Philly are better alternatives.

Edit: Might be better as a fellow because a lot less scut while still seeing diversity and volume. Fellowship (except for GI) is an easier match too.
Eh I’m biased but this is way overstated. I’d like you to find me academically trained former nyc medicine residents that generally regret their decision. Most people who have this sentiment are people who were never interested in NYC in the first place. It’s expensive to live here, it’s generally tough training with high volume but there are significant lifestyle benefits to living here. The scut discussion is way outdated too

Reactions: 1 user
Eh I’m biased but this is way overstated. I’d like you to find me academically trained former nyc medicine residents that generally regret their decision. Most people who have this sentiment are people who were never interested in NYC in the first place. It’s expensive to live here, it’s generally tough training with high volume but there are significant lifestyle benefits to living here. The scut discussion is way outdated too
At least, there used to be. I suspect that the NYC that so many people love(d) (Broadway, clubs, museums, restaurants, etc) is gone for the foreseeable future. Which really sucks. I loved living there for about 9 months of the 11 years I lived there. I was desperate to leave but have loved the last few trips I made back. It's a lot easier to enjoy NYC when you have non-NYC attending money to spend when you visit. I was actually jonesin' to go back up until February. I don't think we'll even consider flying through NYC for the next year or so.

I'm not sure the scut discussion is completely irrelevant, but it's certainly not 1986 anymore either.

At least, there used to be. I suspect that the NYC that so many people love(d) (Broadway, clubs, museums, restaurants, etc) is gone for the foreseeable future. Which really sucks. I loved living there for about 9 months of the 11 years I lived there. I was desperate to leave but have loved the last few trips I made back. It's a lot easier to enjoy NYC when you have non-NYC attending money to spend when you visit. I was actually jonesin' to go back up until February. I don't think we'll even consider flying through NYC for the next year or so.

I'm not sure the scut discussion is completely irrelevant, but it's certainly not 1986 anymore either.
Ya my comments would’ve been a bit more meaningful say 3 months ago. My wife and I are actively trying to buy a house in the ‘burbs already (and to be honest can’t get out quick enough). But god I’ve loved the last decade here. Also family getting bigger it’s no
longer realistic for us.