best Q&A books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsckvc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I was to buy 1 Anesthesia multiple choice question book, which one should I get. Chantigan and Hall seem to be popular. Any comment on McGraw-Hill Specialty Board Review. just want to start doing questions for the ITE.

Members don't see this ad.

If I was to buy 1 Anesthesia multiple choice question book, which one should I get. Chantigan and Hall seem to be popular. Any comment on McGraw-Hill Specialty Board Review. just want to start doing questions for the ITE.

Hall by far. Read baby Miller and did the entire Hall Q book and passed the ITE as an intern.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have an attending here who is a senior question editor for the ABA written exams who recommends the companion question-book to Barash over Chantigan & Hall. I have both but haven't really dug into either deep enough to have a preference yet. She says the Barash companion is more similar to the real questions from the ABA.

Is Faust still any good despite being 9 years old now?

edit: never mind... I realized that's not even a Q&A book...

Faust will be timeless and if you do a search on my posts you'll see I stand by that book for the information basics for ABA writtens. If you know Faust like the back of your hand, do Hall a couple times, and do a few practice ABA writtens you'll be set. The info in Faust is the type of factual information most of which will never change.

In the words of michigan girl....don't screw around... use Hall and Faust. Worked with both of those guys during residency and they are both extremely sharp! The great thing about the Hall book is the questions are very good but the info you glean from the explanations is exceptional!! Just passed (rocked) boards and wouldn't mess with anything else! Never read Miller or Barash much during residency....just M&M, Hall, and Faust!!! Just my $0.02

We have an attending here who is a senior question editor for the ABA written exams who recommends the companion question-book to Barash over Chantigan & Hall. I have both but haven't really dug into either deep enough to have a preference yet. She says the Barash companion is more similar to the real questions from the ABA.

The Barash study guide has challenging questions. The pulmonary and cardio physiology questions are well written and high yield.

Cambie

Even though I am old enough to have a non-time restricted certification, our department strongly desires (essentially requires) even us old guys to recert anyway.

I took it a year or so ago and, for the first time in my medical exam taking career, used Q&A books to study. Turns out, it works. I passed. Am old enough that I will retire before the ten years runs out, so I am probably finished worrying about tests.

Anyway, being a worry-wort and a slow learner, I got 5 such books, did them all, and did three twice. I know, overkill, but long ago I had to do orals twice, from lack of acting practice, so I didn't want that to happen with writtens.

Here is my list of 5 books.

Hall, you know; I did it twice.

Faust, I did it twice

Anesthesiology, Examination and Board Review, Dershwitz and Walz, done twice (Mcgraw Hill)

Clinical Anesthesiology, Board Review, Chu (Mcgraw Hill)

Review of Clinical Anesthesia, Connelly and Silverman, (Lippencott)

All had their own little nuances of strength (good answer explanations, etc).

Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck.