sabsaf123

2+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey all,

If we go to a school where our entire grade depends on a couple of exams for the entire semester, for every class, are there any exam type questions books for m1s that you would recommend? I'd really like to know if this exists for anatomy, biochem, cell bio, and embryology. Could I use firecracker for this purpose? I'm just trying to make sure I learn the correct amount of detail.

Thanks

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey all,

If we go to a school where our entire grade depends on a couple of exams for the entire semester, for every class, are there any exam type questions books for m1s that you would recommend? I'd really like to know if this exists for anatomy, biochem, cell bio, and embryology. Could I use firecracker for this purpose? I'm just trying to make sure I learn the correct amount of detail.

Thanks
Lippincott's for Biochem

UMich website for anatomy

Guyton and Hall review book for phys

Never used the PreTest series except for clinical years but you could check out the ones on basic science topics.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabsaf123

FindMeOnTheLinks

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BRS Anatomy, BRS Physiology are both good question sources in addition to what WL posted. I would actually argue these questions are essential. Maybe pick one between GH physio and BRS, don't need both.

BRS embryo is okay. Not too many embryo question sources out there since it's pretty easy subject.

Lippincott great for biochem. BRS is meh at best - questions are overly detailed. Not sure why there isn't a really solid biochem question resource. Somebody get on that.

Try the free trial of firecracker and see if you like it. Most people think it's too much to keep up with. I tried it for a couple days and it didn't seem very useful, definitely not worth $200 and the cost of time. Maybe you'll like it, see for yourself.

Now back to studying antibiotics. Fml

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

jonpalnile

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Lippincott's for Biochem

UMich website for anatomy

Guyton and Hall review book for phys

Never used the PreTest series except for clinical years but you could check out the ones on basic science topics.
do you mean this book for biochem?

Amazon product
I think theres only like 3 "study questions" at the end of every chapter, right?

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
do you mean this book for biochem?

Amazon product
I think theres only like 3 "study questions" at the end of every chapter, right?
On the inside cover there's a code that gives you access to online content, which includes a qbank of ~400 questions.

Reactions: jonpalnile

Taddy Mason

30 Helens agree
2+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2015
The Seaward
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How do you think that compares to Lippincott's Illustrated Q&A Review of Biochemistry?
No idea. I only used the qbank that came with Lippincott's Illustrated Review and that was more than enough for studying for our biochem block. It'd be worth looking into if you feel you need more questions, but I'd be cautious because some publishers will publish the same sets of questions with different books or under different names (e.g., Q&A for USMLE Step 1 by McGraw Hill is just a condensed set of question straight from USMLERx). So make sure the questions in the Lippincott's Q&A aren't just the ones available for free if you register Lippincott's Illustrated Review with the code on the inside cover.

Reactions: jonpalnile