best research track residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tortuga87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which residencies allow residents who are dedicated to research thrive?

Put it in another way, which residencies graduate a high percentage of their research track residents onto physician scientist track positions? Or which residencies are known for protected research time, grant writing courses and research funding opportunities for their residents?

Caveats:

1. more publications by faculty does not always equate to better science productivity from the residents
2. more md/phds matriculating to a program does not always mean that a higher percentage of them end up doing science
3. top clinical training does not always mean top science training. Working 90 hours inpatient does not equal research productivity
4. etc, you get the idea...

Looking for the programs with top science training and decent clinical training (not saying clinical training is less important, but we should realistically not expect research track faculty to be the best clinicians either except maybe in some sub-sub field)

Where do residents interested in research thrive?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, look for residencies that have a dedicated R25-funded (also called “NIH-funded”) research track. This is essentially the only way to guarantee you plenty of protected research time.

Aside from that, look for big names in your area of interest. They typically have enough funding for you to start some projects, and having a big name behind you helps with getting your own grants and high profile publications.

Finally, look for program outcomes, ie where/what their graduates end up doing. Sometimes programs have their profiles posted on their websites, but if not you can definitely get this information on your interview day. You can also find out about the courses and intramural research funding available to residents either on programs’ websites or during your interview days.

In reality, if you’re seriously interested in a *primarily* research career, apply to all the research track programs in your target geographic area (because there’s no guarantee you get an interview at any one of them, especially considering that psychiatry is getting more competitive) and sort them out after interviews.

You can certainly do research at programs that don’t have dedicated research tracks, but the limiting factor here is of course how much time you get for it. Also, with dedicated research tracks there is typically more support of your research endeavors, while you should be pretty self motivated to carve time and find a reasonable project in categorical programs.

Strong R25-funded research tracks include UCSF, UWash, BWH, Brown, MtSinai. I know of these programs largely because I interviewed there; this list is by no means exhaustive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One place to start would be to look at the schools with the top 20 NIH research funding and then go to those programs' websites to see what they offer for residents interested in a career in research (e.g. protected time, mentors, $, track record, etc). Some do have R25 funding to help support such endeavors but some do not. U Pitt and WashU would be in the latter group and come quickly to mind. There are likely others. A second place from which to get information would be advisors at your school. Just having research dollars does not equate to good training of residents/ junior faculty to do research but it is a good place to start. So after visiting websites and talking with your own faculty you will need to go on interviews to figure out who are truly the best and right for you.

Which residencies allow residents who are dedicated to research thrive?

Put it in another way, which residencies graduate a high percentage of their research track residents onto physician scientist track positions? Or which residencies are known for protected research time, grant writing courses and research funding opportunities for their residents?

Caveats:

1. more publications by faculty does not always equate to better science productivity from the residents
2. more md/phds matriculating to a program does not always mean that a higher percentage of them end up doing science
3. top clinical training does not always mean top science training. Working 90 hours inpatient does not equal research productivity
4. etc, you get the idea...

Looking for the programs with top science training and decent clinical training (not saying clinical training is less important, but we should realistically not expect research track faculty to be the best clinicians either except maybe in some sub-sub field)

Where do residents interested in research thrive?

Yale is really incredible in this regard. In my class of 12, we had an excess of people interested in research (myself included), and yet the program made sure that all of us got protected time, mentorship, and resources. I was of the less talented and experienced in the group, but still got several thousand dollars in pilot funding, excellent mentorship, support in getting a grant, and published many many papers. Between the 6 of us we probably published more than 50 papers in great journals during residency. Several of my classmates have gotten or are well-scored to get K awards. The opportunities I had to lead panels, edit special editions of journals, work on invited reviews, and learn an incredible amount would not have been possible to the same extent at any other program that I know anything about.

Yale is really incredible in this regard. In my class of 12, we had an excess of people interested in research (myself included), and yet the program made sure that all of us got protected time, mentorship, and resources. I was of the less talented and experienced in the group, but still got several thousand dollars in pilot funding, excellent mentorship, support in getting a grant, and published many many papers. Between the 6 of us we probably published more than 50 papers in great journals during residency. Several of my classmates have gotten or are well-scored to get K awards. The opportunities I had to lead panels, edit special editions of journals, work on invited reviews, and learn an incredible amount would not have been possible to the same extent at any other program that I know anything about.

Two words: New Haven

Also from what is being reported, there seems to be strong psychiatry research/K award opportunities at Johns Hopkins, Emory and Columbia.

It hasn't been mentioned, but also look at programs with a VA connection, particularly programs that are associated with a VISN headquarters. There is a lot of research dollars in the VA system(provided your interests line up with VA interests.) It's not as fancy as a K award but there may be more paths to being a researcher.

Reactions: 1 users
It hasn't been mentioned, but also look at programs with a VA connection, particularly programs that are associated with a VISN headquarters. There is a lot of research dollars in the VA system(provided your interests line up with VA interests.) It's not as fancy as a K award but there may be more paths to being a researcher.
Good point. As far as I know, UCSF, UWash, Brown and MtSinai have well funded VA research programs in addition to their NIH R25 funding. VAs also offer postdoctoral research fellowship, which is a nice safety net to have if you don’t get a K award right after residency (and getting a K is by no means easy/guaranteed).

So basically follow the (research) money.