Best Resources For Chem/Physics, Private Tutor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeOh2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'll be taking the MCAT sometime at the end of the summer, so I'll start studying around early May. I was wondering, what are the best resources out there for gen chem and gen physics, especially for someone with a weak foundation in both? Also, has anyone tried private tutoring? Is it worth it? Overall I ended up with an overall score of a bit less than 500 after several months of studying and a Kaplan course, so I thought having a personalized private tutor might be helpful. Any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! I'll be taking the MCAT sometime at the end of the summer, so I'll start studying around early May. I was wondering, what are the best resources out there for gen chem and gen physics, especially for someone with a weak foundation in both? Also, has anyone tried private tutoring? Is it worth it? Overall I ended up with an overall score of a bit less than 500 after several months of studying and a Kaplan course, so I thought having a personalized private tutor might be helpful. Any input is much appreciated!

The best resource for chemistry and physics for me is TBR (the berkeley review). I am a nontrad and I found TBR to be very thorough and their tricks are very useful. I love that every chapter comes with endless amount of passages to practice with. From doing research on SDN, I have found the consensus to be in line with what I thought about TBR. Everyone seems to think that TBR is above the rest for chemistry and physics, and maybe also ochem.

For free resources, try Khan Academy and Hyperphysics (website). Also, often you can just go on YouTube and find animated videos of physics concepts or chemical reactions, which I find really helpful. This is my weak section, too, and it's come up around 5 points in the practice tests just from using free resources.

For me was Khan videos plus textbooks checked out from uni library paired with the Chem and Physics Q-packs. Also, ask your professors if they will spend an hour with you during office hours or go to the open tutoring hours available for students taking the classes. I wouldn't waste money on a private tutor unless you have no friends/family members/other resources you can find for free.