Best Resources for M1 or preclinical years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

don't you dare

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'll be starting med school soon and wanted to gather some ideas on good combination of resources people have used in the past and liked.
Honestly, there are so many out there and I feel like trying to use so many resources can do more harm than good.
I was thinking of pathoma, FK, and First Aid. SDN told me to hold off on UWorld until dedicated STEP 1 studying... lol I've also heard good things about zAnki, sketchy, etc.

What were your fav combo or standalone resource during M1 year or just throughout pre-clinical years?
Pros and cons for different resources would be helpful in deciding what I want to use.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on your curriculum, lecturers, test formats, learning style, etc. M1 year I used like 40% lecture powerpoints, 40% anki (pre-made deck for our curriculum), 10% First Aid (and Q+A), maybe 5% sketchy, 5% other random material. This summer I'm going through the Zanki decks for what we did M1 year.

It really depends on your curriculum, lecturers, test formats, learning style, etc. M1 year I used like 40% lecture powerpoints, 40% anki (pre-made deck for our curriculum), 10% First Aid (and Q+A), maybe 5% sketchy, 5% other random material. This summer I'm going through the Zanki decks for what we did M1 year.
What would be the best resource for like anatomy, bioc, physio?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the best resource for like anatomy, bioc, physio?

For anatomy practicals, when not in the cadaver lab, I used Netter atlas and flashcards, pre-made Anki, lecture notes, Complete Anatomy app. Biochem I used lecture notes with practice Qs from First Aid and Lippincott's Biochem questions. Haven't taken physiology stuff yet.

Reactions: 1 user
My experience was:
Anatomy, Netter's plus in-house
Everything else: Boards and Beyond + Pathoma + Anki (Zanki, Lightyear, Bros, whichever you like the most) + FA + Sketchy Pharm (and Micro) + Rx/Kaplan/UWorld. When done with all of this, done studying, no matter how near/far the test is.

For reference, I'm in a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum so I've done anatomy, basic sciences and cardio/pulm/renal for pathophys.

Why dont you just ask your upperclassmen when you get to school? I dont understand these posts.

Why dont you just ask your upperclassmen when you get to school? I dont understand these posts.
Well I want to hear thoughts from people who went through pre-clinical years. And most third years won’t be seen around campus a lot cuz they’re in rotations.
Also, you don’t have to understand my post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I want to hear thoughts from people who went through pre-clinical years. And most third years won’t be seen around campus a lot cuz they’re in rotations.
Also, you don’t have to understand my post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My point is that this exact same question is posted every single day on this subreddit. Exact same question. And therefore the only reason you would ask again is 1) if you didnt use the search function or 2) you want specific advice for your school. We cannot solve either.

The answer to your question is the same one offered to every person who posts it. Zanki + Costanzo and Pathoma. Use boards and beyond if you want.