Best resources for Step 2 CK (~3 months; 1 month dedicated)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staco

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I know there are a bunch of threads about this dispersed around this forum, but I'm still lost on how to prepare for Step 2CK. I have one clerkship left, followed by roughly a month of dedicated, and have ~800 questions of Uworld left on my first pass.

I feel very unprepared taking CK, and I need a great score given my below average Step 1 score. My uworld averages on first pass have been in the low 50%'s, and I feel my biggest issue is not having a solid reading resource to truly know the basic sciences. This has also translated to very average Shelf scores.

I know there's no UFAP for Step 2CK, but is there somewhat of a "go-to" reading resource to supplement knowledge in addition to just doing Uworld questions? I honestly feel like I'd be better off just focusing on Step 2CK now while just passing my last rotation.

Something like reading pages of First Aid CK (to get a full pass through before dedicated), while doing Uworld questions, and repeating the Uworld questions during my 1 month of dedicated? Or is there a better book than FA (I've seen SU2M here, but I had a really really hard time getting through that during my IM rotation).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I know there are a bunch of threads about this dispersed around this forum, but I'm still lost on how to prepare for Step 2CK. I have one clerkship left, followed by roughly a month of dedicated, and have ~800 questions of Uworld left on my first pass.

I feel very unprepared taking CK, and I need a great score given my below average Step 1 score. My uworld averages on first pass have been in the low 50%'s, and I feel my biggest issue is not having a solid reading resource to truly know the basic sciences. This has also translated to very average Shelf scores.

I know there's no UFAP for Step 2CK, but is there somewhat of a "go-to" reading resource to supplement knowledge in addition to just doing Uworld questions? I honestly feel like I'd be better off just focusing on Step 2CK now while just passing my last rotation.

Something like reading pages of First Aid CK (to get a full pass through before dedicated), while doing Uworld questions, and repeating the Uworld questions during my 1 month of dedicated? Or is there a better book than FA (I've seen SU2M here, but I had a really really hard time getting through that during my IM rotation).

Thanks.

I am still working on my post-match project (a blog about CK because you're right, there's no UFAP and it's frustrating) but if you're interested I wrote this review of study resources for CK. I found UWorld + the free online med ed videos + UptoDate to be the most helpful (with a lot of reviewing my UWorld Anki deck), but I in regards to texts I found the Step Up series to be the most worthwhile.

Right now I also a few CK study schedules up using UWorld + OME as well as UWorld + Step Up to CK for a 4 week dedicated periods, but I am working on 5 week and 6 week versions of these. Everything is free, just share if you like the website.

Edit: I had also had an awful Step 1 score and was able to pull up my CK score 45 points to above 250 (and I think it's the only reason I matched.) I talk about this on my blog, but I think what raised my score was basically focusing on fewer resources and learning them well with Anki (I dictated UWorld notes into Anki). If you want more specific advice, please feel free to PM me and I would be happy to help!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am still working on my post-match project (a blog about CK because you're right, there's no UFAP and it's frustrating) but if you're interested I wrote this review of study resources for CK. I found UWorld + the free online med ed videos + UptoDate to be the most helpful (with a lot of reviewing my UWorld Anki deck), but I in regards to texts I found the Step Up series to be the most worthwhile.

Right now I also a few CK study schedules up using UWorld + OME as well as UWorld + Step Up to CK for a 4 week dedicated periods, but I am working on 5 week and 6 week versions of these. Everything is free, just share if you like the website.

Edit: I had also had an awful Step 1 score and was able to pull up my CK score 45 points to above 250 (and I think it's the only reason I matched.) I talk about this on my blog, but I think what raised my score was basically focusing on fewer resources and learning them well with Anki (I dictated UWorld notes into Anki). If you want more specific advice, please feel free to PM me and I would be happy to help!

Solid, I was planning on doing exactly this. I have ~4 weeks of dedicated where I'll just focus on U-world and supplement with StepUp/OME/Up2date. I'll probably do all the NBME's as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Solid, I was planning on doing exactly this. I have ~4 weeks of dedicated where I'll just focus on U-world and supplement with StepUp/OME/Up2date. I'll probably do all the NBME's as well.

Perfect! Knowing UWorld front to back was by far the best resource honestly. I also found UWSA to be the closest to the real thing but that was just my experience.

One more tip I found very helpful: the NBME subject tests for the subjects I had the most trouble with (OB......). I found a lot of these concepts repeated on my exam. It does get a little pricey though so I only did 1 from each of my weak areas.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I'm a 4th year medical student in Virginia, USA and am offering tutoring services primarily for third year/clinical rotations and shelf exams. Sessions will be held remotely via Skype. I charge $30/hr. All funds must be transferred 24hrs prior to session time to ensure reservation. I have over 5 years of teaching/tutoring experience to undergraduate students.

I am proud to admit I was a student that initially struggled with the volume and lingo of medicine, and over the years excelled by developing my own pneumonics, slides, and tricks. I am eager to share my resources with other students and provide high yield teaching! My personal notes have been shared within my medical school community and are well received. Please contact me with your specific needs and we can come up with a plan together best suited for your goals.

Looking forward to working with you!