Best review book for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chess1015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks!! I need a suggestion on the best book for mcat. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Tons of resources on here available via the search function.

But as far as content review goes, I don't think anyone will disagree that

for Physical Sciences use The Berkeley Review
for Biological Sciences use Examkrackers
for Verbal use The Princeton Review Hyperlearning: Verbal

because that seems to be the majority trend for review. Good luck!

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 1. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK 101 Verbal 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 1. AAMC Self Assessments 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

SN2ed, I'm a bit curious. Would you say just the EK Bio is adequate for a biology major, or would you recommend getting the BR Bio book also? A bit off topic, but roughly how long are the chapters in the BR books? I know you recommend reading a chapter a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
SN2ed, I'm a bit curious. Would you say just the EK Bio is adequate for a biology major, or would you recommend getting the BR Bio book also? A bit off topic, but roughly how long are the chapters in the BR books? I know you recommend reading a chapter a day.

Are you asking just in terms of content review? EK is lacking as far as practice questions are concerned.

EK helps you to keep an idea of what is most important. They're concise and some of the other materials include stuff which most likely won't show up, so they keep you "on target."

To be honest I have tried every book out there.
The Berkeley review is ONLY good for PASSAGES. I don't think their content is better than The Princeton Review books. I have personally read both.
PS: content TPR. Passages TBR
Verbal: TPR hyperlearning verbal book, EK, and any other book as long as u are practicing
BS: TPR and TBR for passages only (way better then EK and TBR for content-you would not get above 10 using only EK for content unless you have major in science)

Physics: TBR for content and passages
Gen Chem: TBR for content and passages
O-Chem: TPR for content and TPR-H SW for passages
Bio: TPR for content and TPR-H SW for passages.

Don't use TPR-H SW for physics and gen chem. The passages absolutely suck for them. TBR is kind of awful on certain areas like equilibrium, acid/base chemistry, optics, E&M, and circuits, but suck it up and do your best.