1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Best review book for Path:BRS or pocket Robbins?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by dr. dre, Sep 28, 2002.

1. dr. dre

dr. dre New Member

Hi there,
    I'm just wondering what would be the best book to cover path without wasting time on little non-tested details. I've currently got BRS Path, but it looks waaaaay too brief on most topics (e.g. 2 pages for AIDS). An acquaintance of mine that scored really well in his step1's said that he read pocket companion to Robbins cover to cover. Someone on another forum suggested reading all high yield material in big Robbins.
    Currently, I'm leaning towards buying pocket Robbins and studying the whole thing (~700 pocket sized pages).
    Any suggestions???
    :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ortho2003

ortho2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I used BRS only and scored a 99 on path. It is more than enough. I suggest taking BRS and adding everything high yield that isn't in First Aid Path to it from BRS, then just review yoru notes in FA.

4. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Junior Member

I agree with ortho2003. The only book I used for path was BRS and I scored extremely well on the pathology section. I think pocket Robbins would be very low yield and big Robbins would be downright foolish.
    Conclusion: Do BRS and First Aid and you will do just fine

Good Luck

5. Scarlet_Fire

Scarlet_Fire Member
    7+ Year Member

I concur; BRS is a much better book for boards and your Pathology course than the Pocket Robbins. Personally, I had both the BRS and the hardcover of Robbins, the latter of which is sometimes useful for reading actual text vs. a bulleted outline format. However, content-wise, I echo the previous statement in that you should go through the BRS and flesh out First Aid with information from BRS that is not in First Aid. I used this approach. In a general sense for board review, I would further recommend this approach for each subject in First Aid, that is, using a book like the "High Yield" series or BRS to augment First Aid.

6. Scarlet_Fire

Scarlet_Fire Member
    7+ Year Member

...oh, and by the way, if the nurses on the wards hear your nickname is "Dr. DRE", you may be the go-to guy for true DRE's!

7. mano12

mano12 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

None of them, If you realy want good results go for Goljan Pat:clap: :clap: :clap: , best of all for sure

8. gdog@pennmed

[email protected] New Member

I only use BRS and scored 99 on path. however, your mileage may vary. thus use the one you feel most comfortable with and make the best of it.