Best review books for M1 and M2 for USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New Yorkaise

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an incoming med student this fall. Ok, before I ask my question, I'd like to say that I'm not a hard-core premed! LOL. Please don't make fun of me. :p

Anyways, I was reading this book, "Surviving Med School" and it recommends reading study aids to get a concise review, since most textbooks are huge. I was wondering if anyone can suggest good study aid books for the subjects (like histology, anatomy, neuro, etc.) that also help for later on when I have to take the USMLE? That way, the study aid I use will slowly prepare me/highlight points for the USMLEs later, and maybe I won't have to buy more books to study for USMLE. Any recommendations?

How about for subjects in second year? Any helpful books?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

New Yorkaise said:
Hello everyone,

I am an incoming med student this fall. Ok, before I ask my question, I'd like to say that I'm not a hard-core premed! LOL. Please don't make fun of me. :p

Anyways, I was reading this book, "Surviving Med School" and it recommends reading study aids to get a concise review, since most textbooks are huge. I was wondering if anyone can suggest good study aid books for the subjects (like histology, anatomy, neuro, etc.) that also help for later on when I have to take the USMLE? That way, the study aid I use will slowly prepare me/highlight points for the USMLEs later, and maybe I won't have to buy more books to study for USMLE. Any recommendations?

How about for subjects in second year? Any helpful books?

Thanks!

dude, you are by definition, a hard-core premed.

"I'm not a hardcore premed!" --> just what a hardcore premed would say.

Buy First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. The back of that book has plenty of good reviews on review books. Good luck in medschool, be sure to stop and smell the roses.

saiyagirl said:
dude, you are by definition, a hard-core premed.

"I'm not a hardcore premed!" --> just what a hardcore premed would say.

Buy First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. The back of that book has plenty of good reviews on review books. Good luck in medschool, be sure to stop and smell the roses.

I agree. If you already know what Step 1 is all about and are preparing for second year, you are definitely at high-risk for becoming a hardcore gunner. But, more power to you. I'll come back and visit this board and see your name as MVP of Class of 2009. :thumbup:

Pox in a box said:
I agree. If you already know what Step 1 is all about and are preparing for second year, you are definitely at high-risk for becoming a hardcore gunner. But, more power to you. I'll come back and visit this board and see your name as MVP of Class of 2009. :thumbup:

I wish! :) Haha, I was really a gunner in high school, but I slacked off in college (thank the lord that i got in!). I am reading up now on how medical school will be, and what i have to do in order to do well so that there won't be a repeat of my frustration and some disappointment in college.

Well, needless, to say, the guide book I am reading is kinda making me worried! To the second poster, thank you for the advice on the book . I'll check out the review books that are mentioned on the back of the USMLE. But I don't wanna buy a USMLE yet--it will frighten me. Not to mention get me potentially killed by my classmates! :laugh:

Hello everyone,

I am an incoming med student this fall. Ok, before I ask my question, I'd like to say that I'm not a hard-core premed! LOL. Please don't make fun of me.

Anyways, I was reading this book, "Surviving Med School" and it recommends reading study aids to get a concise review, since most textbooks are huge. I was wondering if anyone can suggest good study aid books for the subjects (like histology, anatomy, neuro, etc.) that also help for later on when I have to take the USMLE? That way, the study aid I use will slowly prepare me/highlight points for the USMLEs later, and maybe I won't have to buy more books to study

Dude relax and enjoy your summer!
ECU Med 07