Best review course for MCAT in NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Judoka1210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in long island, NY and was wondering which review courses SDN members found to be the best. I have been considering the Kaplan review as well as a course by Dr. Scott Roberts ( THINKMCAT.COM ). Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Roberts? Also, I don't mind paying for private tutors and would welcome any suggestions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Scott's great, and I'd say the best you could find for bio and orgo. He knows what he's talking about and it'd be to your advantage to sign up with him. I just took the MCAT on 1/29 after taking his classes so we'll see if it actually did pay off. The one thing I would say though is that his course is not a replacement for self-study, and you will still need to put in a lot of reading and practice to supplement if you want to feel completely prepared. He's great for clarifying complicated concepts and helping with general test-taking strategies, like what you should be thinking when you see a certain problem.

Scott's great, and I'd say the best you could find for bio and orgo. He knows what he's talking about and it'd be to your advantage to sign up with him. I just took the MCAT on 1/29 after taking his classes so we'll see if it actually did pay off. The one thing I would say though is that his course is not a replacement for self-study, and you will still need to put in a lot of reading and practice to supplement if you want to feel completely prepared. He's great for clarifying complicated concepts and helping with general test-taking strategies, like what you should be thinking when you see a certain problem.

I really appreciate your response. I have to make a decision on a review course fast and figured that the Kaplan course was more established. I only heard about Scott through a friend of a friend and didn't know which way to turn. When I spoke to Scott, he gave me very different advice then I received from a few admissions committees and advisors that I had contacted. I didn't know if it was acceptable to take a lighter schedule this semester in preparation for the MCAT exam. I have been working while attending school and have been taking approximately 8 credits a semester. This past fall was the first time I had taken 16 credits in a long time. When I spoke with the admissions committees, they told me not to drop below 12 credits but Scott told me to just take physics II and no other courses. This made me a lil' skeptical. I haven't even looked at an MCAT and need to get ready by May or June the latest. Do you feel Scott is the best way to go? Also, just wondering if you can tell me anything else about why his course is better than places like Kaplan? Thank you again and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

As far as acutal MCAT classes go, Scott will be far better than Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc. because they just read out of a book and don't actually give you anything outside of the book, whereas Scott helps you categorize and see relationships in information. As for his advice on scheduling, I can't comment on that since I don't personally have any experience with him regarding that.