• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

BEST route -- or what is the route -- to doing Pediatric cardiology?

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
    Im a student at NYCOM and interested in persuing pediatric cardiology -- an idea what hte route is or best route for a DO....i would like to stay in the NY area.

Doc_Thks_JC

Med/Peds Doc
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jul 30, 2002
    Mobile, Alabama
      Hi,

I am also a student (4th year--soon graduating) and actually interviewed for residency with a well known Pediatric Cardiologist and he actually tried to talk me into pursuing a dual Med/Peds Cardiology fellowship as there are not many in the US and I am seeking a Med/Peds residency. To do Peds Cards you have to obviously do a Pediatric Residency (3 years in length) followed by a Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship (3-4 years in length). Some Fellowships may be shorter but I am quoting what I have been told. I actually did a Pediatric Cardiology rotation last year at one of the top 10 Children's Hospitals in the Nation and I loved it. I think those guys are brilliant and they really know their cardiac embryology and peds cardiac physiology. Well, I hope this helped a little.

If you pursue this, Good luck!

About the Ads
      Peds cards is one of the most competitive peds specialties, but is less competitive than adult cardiology fellowships. Peds fellowships in general are easier to obtain than their adult counterparts. Research can never hurt you. At worst, it may not help you very much if you apply to a community hospital for residency/fellowship, BUT few community medical centers have pediatric fellowship positions, unlike adult fellowships. Therefore, since peds fellowships are primarily (with the exception of PICU, NICU) it would be in your best interest to get involved in research. Also, keep in mind that most fellowships require some amount of research as part of your training, so it is good to get experience while you can early in your training during medical school.

Also, what is this combined med/peds cardiology fellowship?

Which programs have it? How ungodly is the length of time that you spend in residency fellowship? Med/peds is 4 years + peds cards is 3 years + adult cards is 3 years...total of 10 years??? Also, do you have to sit for the peds, medicine, adult cards, and peds cards boards (4 licensing exams) and pay to have your license continually renewed in each of the 4 specialties??? Seems a bit much.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
      Moderator Emeritus
      Lifetime Donor
      Apr 9, 2000
      forums.studentdoctor.net
      1. Attending Physician
        scholes said:
        Also, what is this combined med/peds cardiology fellowship?

Which programs have it? How ungodly is the length of time that you spend in residency fellowship? Med/peds is 4 years + peds cards is 3 years + adult cards is 3 years...total of 10 years??? Also, do you have to sit for the peds, medicine, adult cards, and peds cards boards (4 licensing exams) and pay to have your license continually renewed in each of the 4 specialties??? Seems a bit much.

Now I know little about Med/Peds (save from what I've learned from the residents here) but I found this reference which looks pretty good...

http://www.medpeds.org/PDF/FellowshipGuide2004.pdf

It states (pay closest attention to pages 6-9) that:

a) you don't have to do Med/Peds, then Peds Cards and then Adult Cards but it has been done - there are a fair number of specialties with fellowships that drag out 10 years;

b) there are some formal combined fellowships in Med/Peds Cardiology but they only list 3 in existence (Rush, Ohio State and Rochester). They suggest that many fellowships in this field can be created.

c) they have an extensive list of the pros and cons of doing the above

d) you don't HAVE to be boarded in anything; but most physicians are boarded at least in either Med or Peds, and one or the other of the fellowships (ie, adult vs Peds).

e) you will generally find yourself having to pick one over the other (ie, choosing Pediatric cards as a specialty practice with the ability to have privileges at a hospital for some of your older patients who are technically adults). Procedural based specialties make it more difficult to have a combined practice due to the issue of hospital priviledges, ie, what they'll let you do;

f)if you do sit for all the boards, as they note, it IS expensive as is the licensing.

Hope this helps or at least gives you a start.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.