Best School for Year 3 and 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AyeAre709

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools do you think would offer the best year 3 and year 4 experiences? My point in going to podiatry school is to... become the best podiatrist I can after my training. A big portion of that will be the experiences you gain in year 3 and year 4. And if I am correct, residencies look into what kind of experience you gained as a 3rd and 4th year student when you are trying to get into a program. Not trying to start a war between which school is better blah blah blah just trying to set myself up for the best education that I can attain.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to me that what matters most is how hard you try and not necessarily which school you attend. That being said, since each student generally attends only one school I don't think it would be fair for anyone to speculate about which school is better. I would say that the top students at every school are better prepared than the bottom students at every school.

What schools do you think would offer the best year 3 and year 4 experiences? My point in going to podiatry school is to... become the best podiatrist I can after my training. A big portion of that will be the experiences you gain in year 3 and year 4. And if I am correct, residencies look into what kind of experience you gained as a 3rd and 4th year student when you are trying to get into a program. Not trying to start a war between which school is better blah blah blah just trying to set myself up for the best education that I can attain.

While this could easily turn into a "blah blah blah" type of thread, here are some suggestions.

Talk to the current pod students you met/will meet at the actual interview, ask them about their rotation experience. Do they feel they were prepared for their rotations or are they learning a lot? Some schools are different in the way they set up their rotations, some introduce clinical experience right away while others wait til years 3 and 4. If you don't have contact info from any of the students, call the school and they usually can refer you to a current student... even someone currently in residency. Also, I believe there was a rotations thread in the pod student threads, I remember it being pretty helpful.

My understanding of DMU's 4th year was that it could be spent in its entirety elsewhere - ie. out of state chasing opportunities at places I'd like to match to a residency at. My understanding of Ohio's 4th year was that 6 months of it could be spent elsewhere, but that you had to spend time in Ohio also. Hopefully I'm correctly stating these schools positions.

Regardless of which school you may or may not like best you would be well served to investigate the flexibility and scheduling of the 3rd and 4th year of wherever you go and maybe some people will chime in and provide additional information on what opportunities for clerkships and externships their schools offer.