Jan 22, 2013
Status
Hey guys,

I am trying to decide on a Pharmacy school that will give me the most opportunity to get a hospital residency than a specialty one. What is your opinion on Campbell's and UNC's pharmacy school?

Thanks for any advice! And good luck with other Residency interviews!!

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Hey guys,

I am trying to decide on a Pharmacy school that will give me the most opportunity to get a hospital residency than a specialty one. What is your opinion on Campbell's and UNC's pharmacy school?

Thanks for any advice! And good luck with other Residency interviews!!
Both schools are good. If you got into both, go UNC. It's a brand name school and tuition is cheaper. There's already a thread about this in the pharmacy forum. Both will prepare you for a residency, but the brand name will help in getting interviews, etc.

joetrisman

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Developing rickets
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Both schools are good. If you got into both, go UNC. It's a brand name school and tuition is cheaper. There's already a thread about this in the pharmacy forum. Both will prepare you for a residency, but the brand name will help in getting interviews, etc.
+1 on attending a well established school for making yourself more marketable

OP
P
Jan 22, 2013
Status
At Campbell, I can get a MS in Clinical Research and PharmD in 5 years. Do you think a dual degree will help with residencies?

GoldfishPharmD

walking on a dream
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
At Campbell, I can get a MS in Clinical Research and PharmD in 5 years. Do you think a dual degree will help with residencies?
PharmD from UNC will still probably look better than a dual degree from Campbell. Trust me, all I hear people talk about is UNC students. A lot of preceptors in NC went to UNC. A lot of program directors and people of power are from UNC, so they're going to most likely go with a UNC student all things given equal even if someone has an MS in clinical research.

OP
P
Jan 22, 2013
Status
PharmD from UNC will still probably look better than a dual degree from Campbell. Trust me, all I hear people talk about is UNC students. A lot of preceptors in NC went to UNC. A lot of program directors and people of power are from UNC, so they're going to most likely go with a UNC student all things given equal even if someone has an MS in clinical research.
Can i ask what school you went to? or are you a grad?

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
An MS in clinical research will only make you marginally more competitive for residency, and for some programs not more competitive at all. And to top it off, you'll have to spend an extra year in school. If you want to do clinical research, do an MS in clinical research. If you want to do residency, there isn't much point to the MS.