Best school to prepare me for medical school?

n00dlez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior who got accepted to UW Seattle, Reserve, and Cal Poly for my undergrad years. I'm a WA native, I got a 33 on my ACT, attended the most competitive HS, and will graduate as one of the top 10 students in my class. I still got rejected to Tufts, Vanderbilt, etc., but now I just have to work with what I have. I was planning on majoring in BME, bio, or biochem, but BME doesn't seem like a smart idea anymore. I really just want to get into med school. I've had internships already so I have connections to engineering, not so much research. Seeing that a lot of alums, who were okay students in HS, have achieved 3.7+ GPAs in engineering majors at UW, I'm confident I can do well enough in bio or biochem. I'm kind of in a tight spot financially so UW is the cheapest option. I got $5000 to Cal Poly and $20k and something/year at Case, which makes Case ~$5000/year more expensive than Cal Poly. I'm not getting any family support. Any suggestions or tips about what option I should take?

Members don't see this ad.

UW and you should major in BME (if you'll love it), much more fulfilling/rewarding than bio or biochem if you can do well.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure why you would even consider Cal Poly if you have access to a top-tier public institution like UW. Cal Poly is a good school, but not the same caliber.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'll attend UW, mostly because I have no help in paying for college. Hopefully getting into a specific program, like bioE, won't be extremely difficult. I think bioE would make me a more interesting candidate, but then again, I don't know how med school admissions work. I just thought that I'd become an engineer until I started doing internships. Not my kind of job, shadowing a doctor was more interesting. I still love aspects of engineering, though.

Really any accredited 4 year college. But, i guess the more "rigorous" institution you attend the better.. but the GPA is important, and medical schools will not accept you if you have a half-ass GPA.