Best Schools for Non-Traditional (Law) Applicant?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by mmh88, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mmh88

mmh88

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm sorry if this has been asked recently but I'm kind of freaking out about getting my VMCAS application in. It's all completed and I have enough money in my bank account to pay for about 6 schools. My only problem is that I can't choose my last two.

I am a 26 year old, married female with extensive equine experience but not that much veterinary ride time. I've been in school for the past 9 years, first getting a B.S. in animal science and then my J.D. and most recently my outstanding vet prereqs. My biggest flaw and biggest asset I think is that I have a J.D. and am admitted to my state's bar. I was wait listed at CSU last year I think because of this. I was rejected from WA, VA, MO, and Auburn (my in-state).

I am reapplying this year and am able to apply to more schools. I have chosen Auburn, CSU, OSU, and WI. I want two more. I fit the requirements and don't have any good reasons to eliminate Penn, Purdue, WA, MS, VA, MS, and IL. Which two of these would be the best choices for someone with a law degree as a strength?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Gwenevre

Gwenevre 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It doesn't matter so much what kind of degree you have, it matters if you have the prereqs completed and how your GPA (cum, sci, last 45), GRE scores, experiences balance your application.

4. mmh88

mmh88

Pre-Veterinary
    I know it doesn't matter what degree I have so long as I have the prerequisites. But I also know that some schools are looking to increase the diversity of their classes and one way they do that is by admitting applicants with more unique degrees and experiences. Although I've never practiced law outside of internships (thank god), it shows vet schools that I have perseverance, have already succeeded in professional school, and can handle rigorous testing by passing my bar. Plus I've got a great legal/business foundation on which to practice veterinary medicine.

My GPA is ok but it isn't super strong, especially my last 45. My GRE is average to above average. That's why I want to apply to schools where my law degree will stand out and be appreciated, particularly in the application review process, or give my application a boost despite its other shortcomings. That's why I'm asking if any of the schools I mentioned have a reputation for accepting more non-traditional students, being more appreciative of a non-traditional background, or at the very least looking at the application as a whole before eliminating any candidates.

5. NStarz

NStarz Ohio State c/o 2016 7+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Penn likes non-trad applicants. I'm not sure about any of the others you've listed.

6. JaynaAli

JaynaAli Clinical Pathologist in Training 2+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Despite whether or not a school likes diversity, I think the challenge with any major career change is to prove to schools why you are choosing veterinary medicine now, especially since you have another professional degree. You've already completed one professional degree (which is a great accomplishment) but changed your mind about your career...be sure to use your PS and stuff to convince them you know vet med is right for you and you won't change your mind about vet med once you're done with school.

7. 2CatMatt

2CatMatt Class of 2017 5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Which of those two have the lowest tuition?

Seriously, all the schools want diversity (including diversity in background/education). Pick the cheapest two and where you think you'll be happy living for 4 years.

LyraGardenia likes this.
  8. Dlisted

Dlisted Michigan State c/o 2018 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    We have a person with a law degree in my class at Michigan state. That said I'm not sure how much vet experience she had or the grades she got in with.

9. WhtsThFrequency

WhtsThFrequency walk like a monkey, kick like a mule 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Verified
    Veterinarian

Why do you think your JD would be the reason for this?

I would expect that this:

i.e. not much veterinary experience and only in one area (equine)

and this:

would be more likely reasons.

Yes, diversity does include people with unique degrees and experiences, but when you have a unique degree or experience way outside of vet med you have to a) make it relevant in terms of what you learned, which you alluded to in terms of perserverance, etc and b) explain thoroughly why you are deciding to change career paths and back that up with extensive and varied veterinary experience.

Last edited: 10.03.14
    NStarz likes this.

About the ads