Quantcast

Best science courses to raise my science GPA up???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey guys, I'm a history major, but I'm applying to dental school next spring.
I have a 2.73 science GPA. I've taken all science prereqs except biochemistry and physics 1 and 2.
Right now my fall semester is looking like this:

Biochemistry
Anatomy & Physiology 1 w/lab
Ethics
Walking (lol)

I've heard that I should wait and take both physics next summer, because it's easier in the summer for some reason. So, with that in mind...
What is one easy/interesting science course I should take to boost my science GPA up this coming semester? I really want to take 3 science courses at least this semester to show adcoms I can handle the course load.

flabernak

Reaction score
Maybe take something that will help you on your DAT exam (genetics/ecology/cell bio). I hated ecology though, what a bunch of poppycock. Or perhaps an upper level bio course like Histology, Pathology, or Neurobiology, or any other one that interests you. Just be careful to not bite off more than you can chew. Grades are more important than overloading yourself, you have a decent workload already. Anatomy at my school was a TON of study time, so was biochem.

GL

Edit: I forgot Microbiology. Definitely a good one for the DAT, and I know it's a required course for some schools. I'd put it above the others I mentioned.

Last edited:

ChrisM07

Dental Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that I should wait and take both physics next summer, because it's easier in the summer for some reason.

Not sure who you heard that from but that's quite the opposite. Physics during the regular semester is enough to bring people's GPA down, but physics in the summer is pure insanity (I did that last summer). Fifteen weeks crammed into six.

Destiny11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a history major, but I'm applying to dental school next spring.
I have a 2.73 science GPA. I've taken all science prereqs except biochemistry and physics 1 and 2.
Right now my fall semester is looking like this:

Biochemistry
Anatomy & Physiology 1 w/lab
Ethics
Walking (lol)

I've heard that I should wait and take both physics next summer, because it's easier in the summer for some reason. So, with that in mind...
What is one easy/interesting science course I should take to boost my science GPA up this coming semester? I really want to take 3 science courses at least this semester to show adcoms I can handle the course load.

How's your BCP GPA? It's a lot easier to bring up your science GPA than your BCP.

CANgnome

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just finished physics 1 and 2 these last 10 weeks, was not bad.

RedDevilDDS

Reaction score
i just finished physics 1 and 2 these last 10 weeks, was not bad.

Because you're Darn Smart CAN :D

To OP, talke phisiology and microbiology/molecular biology. These courses will not only raise your sGPA (if you do well) but will help you to do well on DAT.

interalias

New Member. Pre-Dental
Reaction score
I'm a History major as well, hoping to go Dental in the future :)
From what I've heard from colleges like NYU and BU, some neuro-based science course would be helpful. Perhaps not so much in taking the DAT, but for Dental School itself. One thing about Dental School is that you'll be leaving, knowing all of the facial and cranial nerves by heart. Taking a neuro-based science course in college will lessen the stress once you get into DS.

I've just spoken to reps from BU and NYU. The other colleges I've tried to get in touch with are pretty bad at answering phone calls and responding to emails in a timely manner...

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think dental schools will catch on to what you're doing if you just try to load up your senior year with a bunch of fluff science classes to raise your GPA. IMHO I think in order to save yourself, the last you need to do is look for the easiest way out.

You have to go all out this last year and prove to yourself and to admissions that you will be able to handle the rigors of dental school with heavy loads of tough science classes.