Best sites to shadow in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharaohX

Free...your...mind...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm waitlisted at one school that seems to be my only shot...I'll most likely hear in June. In the meantime, I'm preparing for the worst by restudying MCAT in May and doing more volutneering/shadowing to strengthen my app.

Does anyone know how I can go about finding physicians to shadow? Perhaps you can tell me from your experiences. Should I seek out private clinics? Volunteer in some specialty clinics at my university teaching hospital? Ask my pre-med advisor?

What type of sources helped you all find a good physician to shadow?

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to shadow an orthopaedic surgeon. So I just looked some up on the web, called them and usually had to leave a message. I just explained who I was and what I wanted. Some called back, most didn't. It worked out well though because the ones who called back really didn't mind doing it. You'll feel like a begger though, it's kind of hard. Just remember to pay it forward when you're the doctor with kids calling and bugging you.

I usually asked doctors that either my parents or I knew personally. This happened to be mostly family practice, pediatrics, etc. For the other specialties, ask doctors you know to recommend someone. More than likely they will be able to point you in the right direction.