Best SMP that's actually useful (as a plan b)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittyKats

Reaction score
What kind of SMP or Master's is actually useful in case med school doesn't pan out?

For example, which one would help in case I want to be a teacher at a high school? Which one would allow for applying to Phd programs?

I saw on another post:
"In and of itself, the SMP Masters is good for:

1. Med school
2. Teaching (HS or Com College level)
3. Pharm/medicine industry consultant/sales rep"

Are they all the same or would some have more utility in a non-medschool role?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought the SMP's were made as a pathway for premeds to fix their GPA specifically for medical school. I don't know if it helps with anything else.

You can teach high school with just a B.S. or B.A. and a teaching certificate, so I don't see a benefit of a SMP for teaching at the high school level.

As for number 3, I don't know see how taking a few medical school courses in a SMP can qualify someone as a consultant for the pharmaceutical industry.

I'm interested in seeing what the experts here think.

EDIT: Just read that one can get into consulting with a bachelor's degree and an optional master's (often necessary), such as a MHA. However, some sort of administrative or clinical work experience is needed.

Last edited:
I suppose that if the title doesn't give the purpose away, it could be considered a "biology" degree. If a high school or CC required such a degree (as part of a requirement to become an instructor) you might make a case for it.
I don't think you need more than a bachelor's (and a handsome personality!) to become a pharm rep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think you should pursue an SMP unless you want to give applying to medical school another shot. In many states, you need graduate courses in education specifically to become a licensed teacher. An SMP likely won’t help you with licensure at the middle and high school level. If you’re interested in consulting or the business side of healthcare, there are other degrees I would look into. As for PhD programs, you’re going to need to need to have research experience and a direction that you want to go in. Many SMPs do not require research which makes the PhD route challenging.

What kind of SMP or Master's is actually useful in case med school doesn't pan out?

For example, which one would help in case I want to be a teacher at a high school? Which one would allow for applying to Phd programs?

I saw on another post:
"In and of itself, the SMP Masters is good for:

1. Med school
2. Teaching (HS or Com College level)
3. Pharm/medicine industry consultant/sales rep"

Are they all the same or would some have more utility in a non-medschool role?

Thanks
Do an SMP at a school that has a sister education school.

Reactions: 2 users
Do an SMP at a school that has a sister education school.

Thanks for that advice.

Basically, an SMP without Med school is about as worthless as a Carribean MD without residency.

Best plan B is not to have a plan B, if you know what I mean--give your SMP your all

Correct, pretty much. There are some that have a research component.

But SMPs are simply auditions for med school. Higher risk, but higher reward.

What would be the low risk alternative to SMPs? Post Bacc? or just do it yourself post bacc?

BU MAMS is an SMP that allows you to get an MS in Clinical Research which seems like it would be marketable if med school doesn’t work out.

Reactions: 1 users