Best specialties with work to life balance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What specialties of medicine offer the best lifestyle in terms of hours to life balance. I would also love to have time for leisure activities like lifting/working out/spending time with family, but am also hardworking and dedicated. Got any insight Bros. I am interested in ortho, but don't know if it has the lifestyle I want, and maybe an internal medicine subspecialty like allergy/immunology because of the lifestyle, but am unsure.

Members don't see this ad.

Follow the ROAD to happiness in medicine through...
Radiology
Optho
Anas
Derm

weeeee....

(sometimes ER depending on who you talk to)

What specialties of medicine offer the best lifestyle in terms of hours to life balance. I would also love to have time for leisure activities like lifting/working out/spending time with family, but am also hardworking and dedicated. Got any insight Bros. I am interested in ortho, but don't know if it has the lifestyle I want, and maybe an internal medicine subspecialty like allergy/immunology because of the lifestyle, but am unsure.

There are no hard and fast rules...I've worked with ob/gyn's that work 10-3 and anesthesiologists that would work 100+hrs/wk. I wouldn't buy in to the generalities at this point. Work on getting into med school. When you're on rotations you'll get a feel for the nature of work for each specialty and from that you'll be able to approximate the relative flexibility each field has to offer.

In general however, I think some of the fields where people GENERALLY have a fair amount of free time includes radiology, PM&R, derm, optho, peds, psych, ER,
fm, outpt im, etc.. Keep in mind there's considerable variability within each field and much of it has to do with how much time you want to spend at work.

Members don't see this ad :)
PM&R and a few IM subspecialities are also pretty good 9-5ers.

Though it's not for everyone, psychiatry often has a decent lifestyle. It's also one of the easier specialties to est. a private practice in. (Many of which run on a cash-only basis.)

Sleep medicine is pretty chill.

Pathology is pretty sweet. ~40 hours a week and only occasional call (can be handled from home or vacation), plus a nice salary. It's also intellectually rigorous and leaves time for research or family duty (forensic pathology hours 8am-1pm most days). We used to listen and dance to rap music while making jokes about food in the morgue :)

Radiology is also cool for lifestyle--regular hours, good salary, not a lot of call, lots of opportunities for research and application of physics :)

Transplant surgery

Really? Always assumed transplants would suck, as you're constantly getting called at random hours to remove the organ of a donor who just died and then having to drive/fly back to your home hospital to put it in one of yo' patients.

ROAD, family medicine, pathology, EM, psychiatry

It is more of an environmental/situational factor than anything else.