Best specialty for being able to work wherever you want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroguy887

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if my main concern is finding a job in an awesome place like SoCal, hawaii, or miami, is any specialty so in demand that you can find a job basically anywhere you want/there isn't saturation in these great places?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you willing to work for 150K per yr?

Then yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you willing to work for 150K per yr?

Then yes.

Some people in FM earn 200 or 250k.

Imagine if a FM resident worked as hard as a surgical resident on applying business principles to their practice and learning how to maximize income... they could earn 250k.

Most FM earns closer to 200k anyhow.

What if my main concern is finding a job in an awesome place like SoCal, hawaii, or miami, is any specialty so in demand that you can find a job basically anywhere you want/there isn't saturation in these great places?

EM maybe. Psychiatry is another one that is often overlooked. There is usually a demand. FM is so general I would not think so.

EM is very saturated in Hawaii; not sure about miami or socal

Urology is pretty much needed everywhere and you have lots of flexibility and a great lifestyle. Radiology is also another good one.

Telerads. Live anywhere and read anywhere you get a job.

I've also heard that FM/OP IM is in pretty high demand even in big cities.

Urology is pretty much needed everywhere and you have lots of flexibility and a great lifestyle. Radiology is also another good one.

Radiology is not a good one to work wherever you want. It's difficult to find jobs right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I wish there was a website to see demand/supply for different specialties by region.

From what I heard, most high end specialties with low number of residency spots like derm, ENT, rad onc will have more openings that offer competitive salary in popular cities. You can normally find a job anywhere, it is just that you will not get paid much in SoCal comparing to Alaska for over saturated specialties like Cardiology or Hem/Onc.

I wish there was a website to see demand/supply for different specialties by region.

From what I heard, most high end specialties with low number of residency spots like derm, ENT, rad onc will have more openings that offer competitive salary in popular cities. You can normally find a job anywhere, it is just that you will not get paid much in SoCal comparing to Alaska for over saturated specialties like Cardiology or Hem/Onc.

Yeah, probs not radonc

Some people in FM earn 200 or 250k.

Imagine if a FM resident worked as hard as a surgical resident on applying business principles to their practice and learning how to maximize income... they could earn 250k.

Most FM earns closer to 200k anyhow.
you see it is not all business, cutting gives more money, assessing and talking to people and figuring out their minor or major problems doesnt. If the said surgical resident applies those said "business principles" he will be more like in the half to a million zone.

The true answer for the thread, if you really dont care, and location is everything, anything goes, every specialty is an option. Does it make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)

A few possibilities I've seen:
- start an obesity clinic, low testosterone treatment and/or pain management and make it cash pay only.
- open a lyme disease clinic and move around whenever you start worrying about losing your license for sketchy medical protocols.
- hire as many mid-levels as possible and make them work like dogs
- train your staff to do only procedures that pay well - for example apparently certain types of laceration closures pay much better than traditional simple sutures. do only well-reimbursed procedures even if cheaper easier ones will work just as well.
- fire all patients that don't pay in full within 90 days.

Psychiatry and FM are in need everywhere. Psychiatry in particular is incredibly flexible and can run a cash-only practice with nominal overhead.

you see it is not all business, cutting gives more money, assessing and talking to people and figuring out their minor or major problems doesnt. If the said surgical resident applies those said "business principles" he will be more like in the half to a million zone.

True. Yet, the issue is time. It's harder to apply business principles when you work 30 hrs more a week than the other guy.

I would assume general IM would be pretty good for mobility.

Judging by our resident forums, both pathology and radiology are good choices... you can have your unemployment checks sent wherever you want.

Reactions: 6 users
Neurosurgery. Needed pretty much everywhere or so I hear. Some regions can't retain them and offer upwards of 7 figures and still can't get anybody to come.

Neurosurgery. Needed pretty much everywhere or so I hear. Some regions can't retain them and offer upwards of 7 figures and still can't get anybody to come.

If someone offered me that much, I'd be extremely suspicious that it would be a toxic work environment or that the area would be so underserved that I'd be on call 24/7.

It's probably never prudent to choose neurosurgery for lifestyle reasons/location etc.

It's probably never prudent to choose neurosurgery for lifestyle reasons/location etc.
I know that neurosurgery residency is inhumanely brutal, but I've read that attending life can be decent. :shrug:

Attending life in any field *can* be decent, though the amount of call varies widely and can still be undesirable. But the certainty of money and the possibility of reasonable hours doesn't make 7-8 years of residency doable if it's not something you are passionate about (esp if you want to enjoy your 20s/30s, start a family, etc).

Picking a field for lifestyle alone is almost always a terrible idea.

Attending life in any field *can* be decent, though the amount of call varies widely and can still be undesirable. But the certainty of money and the possibility of reasonable hours doesn't make 7-8 years of residency doable if it's not something you are passionate about (esp if you want to enjoy your 20s/30s, start a family, etc).

Picking a field for lifestyle alone is almost always a terrible idea.
yes, because at some point you will have to work hard anyway

Psychiatry and FM are in need everywhere. Psychiatry in particular is incredibly flexible and can run a cash-only practice with nominal overhead.
Because psychiatry doesn't involve touching the patient, telepsychiatry is a growing method of reaching underserved areas. You may be able to sit in your comfortable office in SoCal or Miami and see patients in North Dakota.

Judging by our resident forums, both pathology and radiology are good choices... you can have your unemployment checks sent wherever you want.

Going into rads. This made me literally laugh out loud.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk