Best specialty for wanderlust

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boggvir

Sunny California
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm the type of person who can't stay in one place very long - few months to maybe a few years are my limits. I've always been like that and I expect I always will. My significant other works from home and she feels the same way (she can work from anywhere with an Internet connection). So my question would be: what specialties would allow you to move frequently and get set up elsewhere with a minimum of hassle? Basically pick up and leave pretty often. Ideally something that would allow me to go overseas too (I know licensing issues make it hard but I'm thinking places like Aus/NZ where it's a little easier to do temporary gigs and just as often go to developing countries for a few months every couple years and work as part of an organization). But the ability to move around within the US is a must.

I was thinking shift work like EM might. What else - anesthesia I hear maybe has a lot of locum opportunities as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thirded. A lot of cruises and camping/adventure companies actively seek out EM docs to accompany them as well. It's basically a paid vacation to treat gi bugs.

Several people I know have made a living as a locums- working here and there for months sometimes on and off for years. You can do this in many specialties including surgery and OB. Some of these gigs are cake where a solo guy goes on vacation and his clinic is closed and you just cover emergencies on call from a hotel room for a week or two at a time and get paid for doing very little. When its done you clear out and miss the ongoing painful interactions with neurotic hypochondriac patients you would have if it was your practice.

I really don't know much about it, but I listened to a program on Locum Tennens on ReachMD radio a couple of months ago. A psychiatrist did it for more than forty years and lived all over the united states, including Alaska, the northeast, and Hawaii. I am sure certain jobs are easier to do this in, mainly things with less follow-up appointments? I would guess EM would be a great specialty for this? Just my $0.02, however.

http://www.locumtenens.com/physician-jobs-specialty.aspx

So my question would be: what specialties would allow you to move frequently and get set up elsewhere with a minimum of hassle?

Teleradiology.

I really don't know much about it, but I listened to a program on Locum Tennens on ReachMD radio a couple of months ago. A psychiatrist did it for more than forty years and lived all over the united states, including Alaska, the northeast, and Hawaii. I am sure certain jobs are easier to do this in, mainly things with less follow-up appointments? I would guess EM would be a great specialty for this? Just my $0.02, however.

http://www.locumtenens.com/physician-jobs-specialty.aspx

psych is a good specialty for locums work

I heard Infectious Diseases is good for international work.