Best state to be a resident of for acceptance purposes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina 07

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering: of state schools that heavily favour in-state applicants, which are the easiest to get into if you are in fact in-state?

I.e. what I'm really looking for is not the percent that get in in-state or whatever, but their overall profile/stats/etc.

And, it would count even more in favour of a state if it had multiple schools which were all relatively easy to get into as an in-state applicant.

You know the kind of q I'm asking. Any ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Just wondering: of state schools that heavily favour in-state applicants, which are the easiest to get into if you are in fact in-state?

I.e. what I'm really looking for is not the percent that get in in-state or whatever, but their overall profile/stats/etc.

And, it would count even more in favour of a state if it had multiple schools which were all relatively easy to get into as an in-state applicant.

Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida (for FSU med) I know for sure.

Hey,

California

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

for a long time, brody (ECU) hasn't accepted an out of state applicant. http://www.ecu.edu/bsomadmissions/profiles.htm one physician i followed for a while went to ECU and he said this has been the trend for almost 25 years. how's that for favouring in-state?

There is no better state than the great Republic of Texas.

Louisiana...

Much agreed. Texas is awesome... Apply early, they interview tons of people so it isn't completely a numbers game, and they send out interview invites EARLY.

I always feel like there has to be some sleeper state out there. Like West Virginia. Small population, three med schools (WVU, Marshall, WVCOM).

I think Floroda is a great state for medical schools. There are three state school (UF, USF, FSU) and one private (Miami). There will also be two new state medical schools opening up in the next couple of years (FIU and UCF). The state schools mainly take Florida residents.

Much agreed. Texas is awesome... Apply early, they interview tons of people so it isn't completely a numbers game, and they send out interview invites EARLY.
If you can ignore the bloodbath that the match turned out to be this year :p

But if you look at the stats of the accepted people at Texas med schools, they aren't any lower (and in some cases they're higher) than the national average.

So yeah, we have TONS of state med schools, but we also have TONS of people applying for those state med schools.

(But the upside is that we have the match which forces people to chose in Feb. That means many people will know where they're going much sooner as opposed to languishing on a waitlist).

I think Floroda is a great state for medical schools. There are three state school (UF, USF, FSU) and one private (Miami). There will also be two new state medical schools opening up in the next couple of years (FIU and UCF). The state schools mainly take Florida residents.

Though that is changing for places like USF and UF as they have recently been matriculating more and more out-of-state students. Even FSU would like to take out-of-state students, but can't justify it yet being so young. I would think that as UCF and FIU open their doors, USF and UF will feel more inclined to open the flood-gates of out-of-state students and let the "new schools" accept only FL residents.

Illinois, is another. 8 medical schools. Sweet tuition breaks if you're in state.

Don't forget Ohio-- I think they have 4 or so state schools

Members don't see this ad :)

Michigan's got 2 schools with sub-30 mean MCATs... and a nice tuition break at UMich if you can get in.

though texas and NC manage to cost less than most undergrad publics around here...

dude. Wyoming. seriously. Or Montana. UofW = cakewalk.

Mayo too probably.

just live rural and make your app about primary care. that's it.

Anybody know anything about MD? I'm a big fan of my nice low in-state tuition for undergrad, I'd love to keep that trend going :)

This is the truth. Texas schools are less prestigious than Cali on average but are also a hell of a lot easier to get into. And insanely cheap.

florida, mississippi...basically, most of the south

Definitely Florida. The MSAR numbers are more than discouraging for OOS students for Fl. schools. I think there were no more than 5 interviews at any 1 school out of like 800-1500 OOS applicants (this is from memory...the book is downstairs...)

Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida (for FSU med) I know for sure.

Believe me Texas is not as easy as it might appears. In the last couple of years their standards went up for some reason. It use to be that middle of the road UT schools like Galveston had an average MCAT score of 28 now its somewhere between 29 and 30.

I'm sure ten years from now Texas schools will be somewhat comparable to Californian schools of today.

But I would say Ohio has a couple easy schools to get into I know someone with like a 26 or 27 mcat score and under a 3.5 gpa and got into a Ohio school, and he wasn't a URM or anything.

dude. Wyoming. seriously. Or Montana. UofW = cakewalk.

Mayo too probably.

just live rural and make your app about primary care. that's it.

Haha, talk about the 3 worst locations! Seriously though Mayo does offer easier entrance to MN, FL, and AZ residents if you can get past their prescreening. Probably harder to get into than most the Ivy's though so maybe not a good example :eek:

But I would say Ohio has a couple easy schools to get into I know someone with like a 26 or 27 mcat score and under a 3.5 gpa and got into a Ohio school, and he wasn't a URM or anything.

Blasphemy!! Everyone on SDN knows that anything below a 3.9/35 will only get you into dental school, or even worse, podiatry school!!

This is the truth. Texas schools are less prestigious than Cali on average but are also a hell of a lot easier to get into. And insanely cheap.

Hey, buddy, watch it. You don't want to invoke the fury of Chuck Norris.

And other than that, we do have a top 10 and a top 20 school in our midst.

We have cinci, case, wright state, ohio sate, neoucom (something like that) and ohio uni (DO). 6 is quite a lot acutally

NJ, all the way.

It only has 2 allos and 1 osteo, but it's the greatest state in the nation.

Game over.

NJ, all the way.

Game over.

Chuck Norris disagrees. He was the one who roundkicked NJ all the way up there in the first place.

I've never met a kid who grew up in Jersey that couldn't kick Chuck Norris' ass.

There, I said it.

NJ, all the way.

Game over.

Dude do you ever breathe through your nose? Have you smelled NJ?

Though that is changing for places like USF and UF as they have recently been matriculating more and more out-of-state students. Even FSU would like to take out-of-state students, but can't justify it yet being so young. I would think that as UCF and FIU open their doors, USF and UF will feel more inclined to open the flood-gates of out-of-state students and let the "new schools" accept only FL residents.

Actually, they used to take OOS peeps, but this year changed to instate only. Think it's because it goes with their mission more- to make more docs for FL. From what it sounds like, they don't plan to take OOS anytime soon.

Dude do you ever breathe through your nose? Have you smelled NJ?

It's totally the radioactivity that gives us the as%-kicking mutations:D :D :D

I think NY is the best state to be in, bec you have a nice variety of environments among the state schools and in terms of stats they are not impossible to get into. And Downstate gets awesome residencies...

I think that statistically vermont is the best. UVM takes about half their class from instate, which means that of the 100 vermonters applying, something like 60 get in. I don't have the MSAR in front of me, but they have about a 60% instate favoratism.

Ohio for sure... 7 schools in Ohio (including CCLCM) plus an OD school. AND for all of you out of state applicants, if you get in, after one year of living in Ohio, you qualify for residency, and get in-state tuition after the first year. Not sure if any states can beat that.

But yeah, it is Ohio...

Ohio for sure... 7 schools in Ohio (including CCLCM) plus an OD school. AND for all of you out of state applicants, if you get in, after one year of living in Ohio, you qualify for residency, and get in-state tuition after the first year. Not sure if any states can beat that.

But yeah, it is Ohio...

Texas does the same thing with OOS. And we have 7 MD schools (soon to be 8), and a DO school that is top-notch.

You are forgetting Nebraska and South Dakota. Live there, you'll get in... as long as you do well of course.

Blasphemy!! Everyone on SDN knows that anything below a 3.9/35 will only get you into dental school, or even worse, podiatry school!!

Podiatry is a great profession that many people don't understand. If all you want to do is save lives in the ER, go for your MD/DO. However, once you experience all of the different realms of medicine, you will see that most will fit into their specialty. Podiatry is no different than a medical specialty.

Podiatric Physicians do surgery, primary podiatric care, do H&P's, dermatology of the lower extremity, give meds, ect.

Podiatry is a great profession that many people don't understand. If all you want to do is save lives in the ER, go for your MD/DO. However, once you experience all of the different realms of medicine, you will see that most will fit into their specialty. Podiatry is no different than a medical specialty.

Podiatric Physicians do surgery, primary podiatric care, do H&P's, dermatology of the lower extremity, give meds, ect.

Did you leave your sense of humor at home, doclm??

And whatever. Podiatry is still it's own school with lower academic standards. You cannot deny that. Separate specialty my @ss. Next thing we know they'll tell us that optometrist are just like opthalmologists. :bullcrap:

And yes, please use your sense of humor when reading this post as well.

EDIT:

I just realized you are a future podiatrist, by reading your post history. I should have guessed. :lol:

Haha, this is probably a REALLY stupid question (I'm a high school senior and very green at all this med school stuff,) but I live in PA now, but am going to school in New York. Would I be considered a New York resident, then?

Haha, this is probably a REALLY stupid question (I'm a high school senior and very green at all this med school stuff,) but I live in PA now, but am going to school in New York. Would I be considered a New York resident, then?

In Texas you would, if it is a public university. I don't know if New York is the same.

In Texas you would, if it is a public university. I don't know if New York is the same.

I don't think that's true. Most medical schools have residence requirements that specifically state that you must not have lived in the state for "educational" purposes in order be considered a resident. In other words, if school is your primary reason for being there, you are NOT a resident of that state.

I don't think that's true. Most medical schools have residence requirements that specifically state that you must not have lived in the state for "educational" purposes in order be considered a resident. In other words, if school is your primary reason for being there, you are NOT a resident of that state.

Ah, but it's hard to tell if you're there for educational purposes or wanted to move there and just happened to like the school ;). Or halfway through your education decided to settle down for life there, or whatnot.

AFAIK, for some states, if you're there for university you can become a resident if you get a bunch of proof of settledness, e.g. state driver's license, maybe some kind of housing, etc., but the requirements vary from state to state.

I must respectfully disagree. The trout fly fishing sucks in Texas and the snowboarding in those Texas mountains is even worse.