best state to have residency in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which state do you believe is the best to be a resident of to increase your chances of getting into med school, because it sure isn’t California.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably some place no one wants to live, like Mississippi...In the MSAR, about 250 apply each year and over 100 are accepted. They don't accept any non-residents. I agree with you about it being difficult getting accepted to a CA state school b/c I'm from CA, but really, who cares which state has the best chances of getting accepted if you're a resident...it's not like we can do anything about which state we live in.

Probably some place no one wants to live, like Mississippi...In the MSAR, about 250 apply each year and over 100 are accepted. They don't accept any non-residents. I agree with you about it being difficult getting accepted to a CA state school b/c I'm from CA, but really, who cares which state has the best chances of getting accepted if you're a resident...it's not like we can do anything about which state we live in.

you can move.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which state do you believe is the best to be a resident of to increase your chances of getting into med school, because it sure isn’t California.

California UC schools might be the most difficult for admission to in-state programs. But on the positive side- if you do get in, its a great system with highly ranked schools, perfect weather, and low in-state tuition.

Hmmmm. How easy is it to establish residency in mississippi? Maybe I'll just move there!

Florida or Texas. Both have a ton of state schools and give good in state preference.

Yea, my parents keep talking about how they are considering moving somewhere else...but I told them they are not allowed till after I get accepted. The increase of schools is a nice touch...although I seem to be meeting a freakisly large amount of premeds at florida schools, but I think it is because it is still early on in their curriculum versus me. I've already seen two change out in a summer.

Indiana accepts a really high percentage of in-state applicants, and the medical school is actually quite good--unlike Mississippi

I'd say Ohio. While some of their schools aren't super in-state friendly, quite a few are. I've found myself jealous of them on more than one occasion during this process - it just seems weird that they have 6 medical schools in that state!

You guys are all wrong...do your research...it's Vermont.

Every year they consistently have more slots reserved for Vermont residents at UVM than they have in state applicants. That's why UVM ends up accepting so many OOS students.

I like my chances in Louisiana...2 state schools (only accept in-state) and 1 private in a state with less than 4.5 mil people.

Texas wins. Several med schools with 2 of them in the top 20 and mostly take Texas residents.

Only thing is that I have to fill out 2 apps, bleh.

I'd say Ohio. While some of their schools aren't super in-state friendly, quite a few are. I've found myself jealous of them on more than one occasion during this process - it just seems weird that they have 6 medical schools in that state!

Wish I'd realized that a year ago! :(

Which state do you believe is the best to be a resident of to increase your chances of getting into med school, because it sure isn't California.

I am so SICK of California residents complaining about how hard it is for you. Poor babies!

There are plenty of state schools in California & they are a helluva lot easier to get into than UMass, that takes exactly 100 residents from MA, that have to have lived in MA for 5 consecutive years to be considered a resident and want people to have very high gpa's and MCAT scores (unlike other state schools, that are more lax with those). What about all of the states that have NO state med school??

If you need more schools, move to Texas or Florida and stop complaining.

Most definately Texas! Wide variety of schools to choose from-- 2 top 20 schools, and some mid and lower tier schools too-- 6 public and 1 private-- all favoring Texas residents-- can't get much better than that!

Oh and TMDSAS is muuuuch cheaper than AMCAS-- even though I did both.

have to go with TX also...

variety of schools to choose from, large class sizes, avg. acceptance stats aren't that high, cheap application fees, and REALLY low tuition/living expenses.

Indiana accepts a really high percentage of in-state applicants, and the medical school is actually quite good--unlike Mississippi

Pretty jerky comment here...support your "opinion" with objective data that the U of Mississippi medical school is not any good...

Which state do you believe is the best to be a resident of to increase your chances of getting into med school, because it sure isn't California.

California is tough, but it isn't the toughest. California seems awful if you look at the acceptance rates of individual schools, but there are so many of them that the chance of getting accepted to at least one puts California more in line with other states that are either desirable or have only one school (or both).

Here's a link to the 2006 admission percentages by state and number of applicants.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/2006slrmat3.htm

There are six states that admitted more than 40% of their in-state applicants in 2006.

West Virginia--49.4%
Kentucky--46.1%
Arkansas--43.3%
Alabama--41.7%
South Carolina--41.7%
Vermont--41.4%

As many have stated, Texas is good to its children with 35.4% in-state admittance in 2006, though several other schools in the south and central regions accepted a higher percentage.

For comparison, California admitted 18.1% and Washington admitted 14.8% in 2006. Keep in mind that the number of applicants was especially high this year. In more typical years California admits ~25% of in-state applicants and Washington admits ~20%.