1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

best state to register in

Discussion in 'Step III' started by hot sauce, Aug 17, 2011.

1. hot sauce

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My understanding is that you can register for step 3 in any state you want regardless of if you take the test there or are doing residency / internship there. Obviously this allows us to bypass states that require a certain amount of post graduate education and I'm not sure why anyone would register in South Dakota given they are charge $880. Do some require more paperwork?

Basically what state is the best and why? Or am I over thinking the whole thing?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Xtrasystolic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes you are.

Paperwork is similar for all states that don't require PG training viz. online form and then a certificate of identification at the end that is notarized and mailed.

For some reason most IMGs have been choosing CT out of those dozen odd states that don't require PG training. I applied there and my permit was posted in under 2 weeks without any hassles.

4. RaraBovis

5+ Year Member

What exactly is meant by 'notarized'? For an IMG, will attestation by the dean be equivalent? Also, is this certificate of identification different from the one you send to ECFMG? I already have my credentials ECFMG verified..do I need to do this all over again for Step 3? Thanks.