Best States For Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmotherwillo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The reality is that public med schools in your state of residence will almost always be the "best" for you in terms of both admissions probability and fin aid...public med schools in other states typically have much higher tuition for non-residents on a par with private schools...and often private med schools are "cheaper" to attend than OOS (out of state) public schools after scholarships and grants are considered...

Now having said that, the Texas med schools have very low instate tuition and fairly cheap OOS tuition, too, but admissions are heavily slanted towards instate and are very competitive for OOS applicants...

Where do you live?

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on attending med school in Massachusetts however I am not a resident of any state yet. I would like to become a resident of a state but one that will provide me with the most financial assistance when I attend med school in Massachusetts.

Thanks

By default you are the resident of a state - so which one is it? In which state are you registered to vote, or have a drivers license, or have paid income tax? Or go a little further back: which state did you live in when you last lived with your parents, attended high school, etc? Or if you are more than 12 months post college graduation, where do you live now?

Massachusetts is the most difficult state in the US for establishing residency for educational purposes - I have read somewhere that it takes 5 years or something ridiculous like that...

Finally, your post is confusing - no state is going to provide you any assistance to attend a med school in another state - the benefit of state residency is twofold: you have a much better chance of getting admitted to your instate med schools, and you are usually subject to a lower instate tuition, too.

anywhere but california, it's mine. my precious.

I plan on attending med school in Massachusetts however I am not a resident of any state yet. I would like to become a resident of a state but one that will provide me with the most financial assistance when I attend med school in Massachusetts.

Thanks

If you plan on attending med school is MA, then you should attempt to establish residency in MA. That simple. However, you should know that the only school where this will help you financially is UMass. The other 3 (private) schools in MA don't care where you live.

I, too, am confused by your post, though... where do you live now? I'm guessing that's where you're considered a resident. You can't not be a resident of any state at all... :confused::confused:

This argument about 'best states' to be in, is MOOT. You would imagine having more options for state schools such as in NY would be good (there are four) and its not. There is a reason there are four to begin with - mad students.

Cali - many state schools and MANY STUDENTS. There is also a problem with thinking that an in state school in North Dakota will be great - but theres ONE and it admits heavily from students in that state anyways but its only one school. They also have to cater to neighboring states with similar positions.

On the end, no state is better than the other - unless there is no med school, or there are so many that the competition is essentially meaningless (Cali, Texas). If you want to be safer, go to Texas b/c they have a lot of state schools and a separate application pool which kind of helps you go to texas state schools. But they also have a lot of students. Your pick.

rk, it sounds like you are interpreting best to mean where he/she has the best chance of being accepted. Did you ever consider best to mean the state with the most progressive and well respected programs? In that case, there are nice schools in lots of states. Maybe you should do some research into what schools have cirricula that you like most. But I've heard it before, the best med school is the one that accepts you.

Well, If you are really DESPERATE and nothing in your app is good, then West Virginia(Marshall), North Dakota, South Dakota and Mississippi.

However with a little bit to go on on your app a better choice to me is obvious: TEXAS

LOW PRICES, new schools (El Paso) , expanding schools (Texas A&M) , and Great renowned schools(UTSW and Baylor) and medical areas(Houston is a Medical City). The weather is nice and warm(albeit muggy at times), and there is a unique border health dynamic and diversity. Southern hospitality of course is present as well. The state pumps a lot of money into its schools because it needs doctors in texas, so facilities in general are good, At least at A&M and the new El Paso School I've seen first hand.

Housing is cheap in many places also. They have a 9 to 1 instate to out of state quota. and there are around 7 schools total to choose from that you can put down all at once on your app.

Texas, let me say is the place to be for med school applying.