Best Stethoscope, 2013 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much discount does Nova give? Trying to decide if I should get one soon or wait...

Sent from my Galaxy S2 i think, but I don't really know. Im just a lowly premed.

I just checked the website where I took that image from and they are selling it for more than what I paid for the Tycos DLX last year. It's a good discount. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I just checked the website where I took that image from and they are selling it for more than what I paid for the Tycos DLX last year. It's a good discount. :thumbup:

Cool thanks. When do we get these discounts. First week of school? I was planning on getting my name engraved so would it still be possible to get done if I order through Nova?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 i think, but I don't really know. Im just a lowly premed.

I have the Tycos DLX. I haven't compared it to too many others, but I prefer it over the diaphragm-only ones. I like having the bell handy if I need it.

You do realize that the 3M models with the tuneable diaphragm have the bell and diaphragm combined on the same part of the chestpiece right?

You rest it lightly for bell, press down on the chestpiece for diaphragm.

Not that it's a big deal but thought you might like to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a Cardio III All Black as a gift from a MD that wrote one of my LORs for getting into med school. It's sweet. :thumbup:

You do realize that the 3M models with the tuneable diaphragm have the bell and diaphragm combined on the same part of the chestpiece right?

I've basically said this twice now. But the Cardio III can ALSO be changed to a traditional bell as well if you want it.

I think everyone and their momma is going to be rocking the all black.

Cool thanks. When do we get these discounts. First week of school? I was planning on getting my name engraved so would it still be possible to get done if I order through Nova?

First or second week. I have no idea about the name engraving, though. Sorry. I'm sure you can get it engraved somewhere if you really want it.

Last edited:

Probably. I know I will. It just looks better lol. You gotta look the part right? :D Although I have seen a nurse use this green one before that looks kinda cool. Dunno if it's a Cardio III or not. I'll have to check when I see her again.

No I didn't realize that. If it works, it works. I just figured I'd spend the $11 and get the "best".

I've basically said this twice now. But the Cardio III can ALSO be changed to a traditional bell as well if you want it.

Yeah I know, they come with a rubber ring for the pediatric chestpiece that converts it to traditional bell, is that what you've been referring to?

I have the Tycos DLX. I haven't compared it to too many others, but I prefer it over the diaphragm-only ones. I like having the bell handy if I need it.

Here's what it looks like:
1_wa-5079-dh325_375.jpg

Through Nova, I had the option of the 3M Cardio III (good), the Tycos Elite (better), or the Tycos DLX (best). It's not like I was splurging on the "best" option, either. The difference between the "good" and the "best" was only $11.

What makes one better than another?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Ya I have one already, but i am honestly liking the the brass edition as well.
l3128brs-f.jpg

Could always go rainbow.
1_litt-c3--3152_750.jpg

:p

Yeah I know, they come with a rubber ring for the pediatric chestpiece that converts it to traditional bell, is that what you've been referring to?

I figured you know since it sounds like you use one, and ya that's what I've been taking about. I was mainly stating it for people who didn't know already. They can be tunable--as you described on your last post, or they can be converted to a traditional bell...aka versatile head and gives you options to utilize the style you like the best.

Members don't see this ad :)

The ribbed diaphragm supposedly allows for better sound quality or something like that (I don't remember all the details, honestly). It came with a 10-year warranty. "Good" came with a 5 year warranty. All parts are user-replaceable for "Best" and "better" but not "good". "Best" is made with trumpet brass (supposedly is acoustically superior), "better" and "good" made with stainless steel.

Overall the difference was $11 so I figured what the heck, I'll get the "best" one.

Personal preference probably.

Though most review websites seem to favor the Littmann Cardio III or Master Cardiology, and most Physicians you'll see use those as well.

Ya I have one already, but i am honestly liking the the brass edition as well.
l3128brs-f.jpg

Could always go rainbow.
1_litt-c3--3152_750.jpg

:p

Those aren't too bad. Also there's black with smoke finish. But I will stick with all black.

True lol, my own came engraved so I suggest the same unless you want it walking away on the floor

True lol, my own came engraved so I suggest the same unless you want it walking away on the floor

That's the plan. My brother in law is buying me mine and he advised me to get it engraved for the same reasons.

Those aren't too bad. Also there's black with smoke finish. But I will stick with all black.

Definitely...there was no way that I wasn't going to get the Black edition first. :D

I like the engraving on mine. But it is relatively small...they sell those name plate tags for them as well that make them a bit more readily identifiable...I haven't gotten one yet, but might pick one up and get it engraved as well...

751.jpg

media.nl

You guys have put a lot of thought into hour stethoscope...

Should rename this thread:

"Bring me your tears, re-applicants of 2013." :smuggrin:

Here's what it looks like:
1_wa-5079-dh325_375.jpg

Through Nova, I had the option of the 3M Cardio III (good), the Tycos Elite (better), or the Tycos DLX (best). It's not like I was splurging on the "best" option, either. The difference between the "good" and the "best" was only $11.

cool...thats one I've not seen before. Ill have to check it out.

The Gunner's Oath. ;)

I'm sure there will be many other gunners that had to have the master wherever you end up...point being, I can see it turning out to not be as unique as you might think.

hopefully Im not coming across that way, but ok...haha

Yeah, its def been the most popular for a while. Doesnt mean its not awesome though! haha, but yeah, you see it around a lot. I liked the smoke finish you were talking about on the master...good call

Talking about stethescopes in a sub forum with people who will need to reapply this June.

you're re-applying? I thought you got in somewhere?

Unless this is new form of sarcasm Im not catching...

Stethoscopes, otoscopes and ophthalmoscopes are FSA eligible if you need to use up your funds.

you're re-applying? I thought you got in somewhere?

Unless this is new form of sarcasm Im not catching...

Call me cat in the hat #2.

Applying to pod schools.

Rumor mill says he got an interview spot back at another school this cycle...

Yup, LMU. He got rejected though.

Yup, LMU. He got rejected though.

Ouch...I am partially interested in hearing how you knew the outcome. I had heard it was LMU, but that was the extent.

Talking about stethescopes in a sub forum with people who will need to reapply this June.

Could have started the thread in the "re-applicant" sub-forum??? :smuggrin::eek:

Call me cat in the hat #2.

Applying to pod schools.

haha, can you imagine? Now thats the kind of drama we need around here! liven the place up a bit.

:naughty:;)
You know I love you HL.

haha...awww shucks

Ouch...I am partially interested in hearing how you knew the outcome. I had heard it was LMU, but that was the extent.

me too...like a soap opera with that one

Someone posted about seeing him at the interview. This was in the weirdest people you've met thread in pre allo.

Someone posted about seeing him at the interview. This was in the weirdest people you've met thread in pre allo.

Hahahaha too awesome.

How do you know he was rejected was what I was getting at...

If someone is getting you a gift, get what you like. I still have my Littman Cardio III I got as an MSI 12 years later only having replaced the diaphragms a few times. It works well for me and I use a stethoscope quite a bit in my job.

That said, if I was an MSI not knowing what I was going into I'd buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Sprague...61272688&sr=8-2&keywords=sprague+stethoscopes

Looks cool and you can get it in a multitude of colors, including the favorite all black. At 15-20 bucks you aren't going to get too bent out of shape if it sprouts legs in the hospital as many seem to do. It has good acoustics (rated just below the Cardio III in this review http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review_page7.htm).

When you get toward graduation and you're going into a field in which a good steth is useful, someone will probably want to buy you one for graduation. Go to town then, or just keep the S-R style. Get a few to coordinate your outfits for that matter.

If someone is getting you a gift, get what you like. I still have my Littman Cardio III I got as an MSI 12 years later only having replaced the diaphragms a few times. It works well for me and I use a stethoscope quite a bit in my job.

That said, if I was an MSI not knowing what I was going into I'd buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Sprague...61272688&sr=8-2&keywords=sprague+stethoscopes

Looks cool and you can get it in a multitude of colors, including the favorite all black. At 15-20 bucks you aren't going to get too bent out of shape if it sprouts legs in the hospital as many seem to do. It has good acoustics (rated just below the Cardio III in this review http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review_page7.htm).

When you get toward graduation and you're going into a field in which a good steth is useful, someone will probably want to buy you one for graduation. Go to town then, or just keep the S-R style. Get a few to coordinate your outfits for that matter.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Not all specialties use stethoscopes bro. I second J-Rad. For a gift, that's fine get a nice one. If you're buying a brand new one for yourself, just get the cheap ****. I got some junk throw-away one and it works just fine for what I need it to do. I can afford all this bling-blang, I just choose not to. My classmates all have the Cardio IIIs plus the Pan-Optic and MacroView. Don't need it at all at this stage of the game. Just one more thing to worry about losing. I've touched my stethescope maybe 3 times for ICM practical exams.

Maybe buy a nicer one when doing rotations, but for yrs 1 and 2..... get something cheap.

Not all specialties use stethoscopes bro. I second J-Rad. For a gift, that's fine get a nice one. If you're buying a brand new one for yourself, just get the cheap ****. I got some junk throw-away one and it works just fine for what I need it to do. I can afford all this bling-blang, I just choose not to. My classmates all have the Cardio IIIs plus the Pan-Optic and MacroView. Don't need it at all at this stage of the game. Just one more thing to worry about losing. I've touched my stethescope maybe 3 times for ICM practical exams.

Maybe buy a nicer one when doing rotations, but for yrs 1 and 2..... get something cheap.

IDK, I think a lot of that depends on the program. At SOMA we used our scopes nearly every-week. And now that I'm in 2nd year I literally do use it every week in clinic. If your program isn't going to expect you to use a stethoscope much till rotations then by all means hold off, but if not, then get used to using a proper scope IMO.

Of course my decision was made easy as our school provides all diagnostic equipment as part of the matriculation package. I got the Cardio III, panoptic, and standard otoscope/ophthalmoscope diagnostic set in that package. I would probably have held off on buying anything as well if that weren't the case.

Last edited:
IDK, I think a lot of that depends on the program. At SOMA we used our scopes nearly every-week. And now that I'm in 2nd year I literally do use it every week in clinic. If your program isn't going to expect you to use a stethoscope much till rotations then by all means hold off, but if not, then get used to using a proper scope IMO.

Of course my decision was made easy as our school provides all diagnostic equipment as part of the matriculation package. I got the Cardio III, panoptic, otoscope/ophthalmoscope diagnostic set etc in that package. I would probably have held off as well if that weren't the case.

I got the same diagnostic set, except I had to buy mine.