Best Stethoscope, 2013 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are many different tuning forks frequencies and reflex hammers. Do we really need all of them or do you just choose one? (serious question)

You only need one of each. There are different ones just like there are different stethoscopes.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk. My SO has one and she says it's for Babinski. I guess she could be wrong too though.

:shrug: yeah, I don't know...just looks like it would be painful for that one, but oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Naah, it's definitely the babinski.

cool

Whats the best hammer/tuning fork then? lol

:laugh:

for easy carrying:

3314676421_1b7500d86a_z.jpg

There are many different tuning forks frequencies and reflex hammers. Do we really need all of them or do you just choose one? (serious question)

Two forks, one hammer.

The forks are a 512hz and a 1066 (I think). The low frequency one is used for vibratory sense testing; the higher frequency are for the weber/rinne tests (hearing loss).

But the low frequency fork is something you'll probably only use on Neurology rotation :barf:

Yeah, it just works a little more reliably. For example, I don't have a babinski (normal or abnormal) if someone uses a blunt handle, but the spike works well.

oh thats crazy, I guess its not as sharp as it looks to me. good to know!

Idk. My SO has one and she says it's for Babinski. I guess she could be wrong too though.

You're right, it's for Babinksi. The spike makes it seem like it could also be used for pain, because I wouldn't think you necessarily need a spike like that just to test Babinksi. That's actually the first spike I've seen on a reflex hammer. I'm just used to the standard hammer.

Last edited:
I thought the spike was used to bust out the windows of a car.

Mature Language Warning

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7mh7p85fw[/YOUTUBE]