MD Best Strategies/Resources for NBME exams during M1&M2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doctor_14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My school administers final exams that are customized NBME exams. We don't have faculty written exams so I was wondering the best way to optimize my results and what study strategies/resources are the best to utilize.

For reference, our curriculum is a two-pass curriculum in which the first year we cover all the organ systems in regards to normal physiology. During M2, we do a second pass of the organ systems focusing on pathology.

I really appreciate your advice in advance, thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
USMLE RX 360, Sketchy micro, boards and beyond, a premade anki deck, and one other Qbank of your choice.

What are your thoughts on starting UWorld as a M1? We won't be doing any pathology till M2 which is why I am a little hesitant and am not sure if I have enough of a knowledge base to answer the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah don't do Uworld until dedicated, I would say use personally made anki to retain information of normal pathology from your first year, then if you do a good job with that, M2 year will be easier. Also use things like sketchy and B&B whenever applicable.

During M2 year, supplement your learning by doing a bunch of questions via usmle rx and/or kaplan throughout the year. Do second pass of the curriculum with pathoma concurrently so you don't miss anything and so you see the material through a new (and better) lens. Then Uworld and other high yield NBME question banks and practice exams for dedicated.

What are your thoughts on starting UWorld as a M1? We won't be doing any pathology till M2 which is why I am a little hesitant and am not sure if I have enough of a knowledge base to answer the questions.

I have seen mixed reviews on one pass vs 2 passes at Uworld. Personally, I think it would be hard to even have a prayer at understanding Uworld without at least a year under your belt, but it does depend on your learning style. I started Uworld early in 2nd year and the timing felt about right. I'm not sure it would have helped me much in 1st year though.