Best study books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The REAL Doc McStuffins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m planning on taking the MCAT next summer and I wanted to know which books were the best to use for studying. I don’t have money for a prep course. I also would really like to only take it once. My goal is at least a 510. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked The Berkeley Review for the quality of their practice passages/end of chapter phase practice sections. I found that spaced repetition was really instrumental in hammering home concepts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, use any book you like. Supplement your content review with Khan Academy videos and the KA notes compilation.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
I'll say, I hated Kaplan with a passion. Too cutesy, wordy, pedantic (and not in a helpful way).

Literally, the beginning of their first MCAT book I read starts with a story that is way too long for their own good, and took too much time.

This, however, is coming from a guy that would prefer pure outlines for everything; take that book and make it 50 pages of bulletpoints.

I loved EK. Apparently it worked!

I'll say, I hated Kaplan with a passion. Too cutesy, wordy, pedantic (and not in a helpful way).

Literally, the beginning of their first MCAT book I read starts with a story that is way too long for their own good, and took too much time.

This, however, is coming from a guy that would prefer pure outlines for everything; take that book and make it 50 pages of bulletpoints.

I loved EK. Apparently it worked!
Ok Thanks!

In my experience Kaplan and (to a slightly lesser extent) TBR are both very popular. I will always endorse EK personally though because it cuts thru more of the BS and skims the lower-yield content. It'll be hard to get a 528 with them but getting through content review and into practice/FLs faster is super valuable, and it throws plenty of practice passages (not just discretes) both in and after the chapters.

For reference I got a 522 (131/129/130/132) using EK and the KA 300 page doc for P/S.

Either way, good luck!

In my experience Kaplan and (to a slightly lesser extent) TBR are both very popular. I will always endorse EK personally though because it cuts thru more of the BS and skims the lower-yield content. It'll be hard to get a 528 with them but getting through content review and into practice/FLs faster is super valuable, and it throws plenty of practice passages (not just discretes) both in and after the chapters.

For reference I got a 522 (131/129/130/132) using EK and the KA 300 page doc for P/S.

Either way, good luck!
Okay thank you so much! I’ll probably go with EK

No one company is good for everything. I highly recommend the book sets in the SDN official study guide.

EK and NS for CARS (some TPR helps too), KA notes and TPR for P/S, and TBR for C/P and B/B!