Best sub-specialty for lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How far should you live from metro area to be able to open these kind of private infusion business? I know some hospitalists earn $500-600k/year in Montana.
Not that far. You just have to be 45-60 min outside of a major metro. That’s the sweet spot for outpatient specialties. Farther out and you won’t have the population density. You want big enough of a market to draw from but one that’s far enough from major hospital systems that patients won’t want to drive (especially with gas prices).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not that far. You just have to be 45-60 min outside of a major metro. That’s the sweet spot for outpatient specialties. Farther out and you won’t have the population density. You want big enough of a market to draw from but one that’s far enough from major hospital systems that patients won’t want to drive (especially with gas prices).
Yes. Exactly. And preferably a locale where the payor mix is still good. One slight issue I’m noticing in semi rural Alabama is that a fair fraction of patients are on Medicaid and/or don’t even have the money to drive to a doctors appt. But 45 min out is about where it’s at. I’m about 45 min from 2 metros. Some of my best patients from a personality (and resources) standpoint are those who drive from the metros.

Other than partners, what pcp has the potential to make 800k?

Plus you would have to deal with everything… the rheum can be more focused on a subject matter.
I mean yeah but on both sides the benefits of being a business owner are large and unlimited theoretically.
Lol. No I do not “have the same job as a PCP”. Rheumatology deals with a lot of things, but I enjoy diagnosing inflammatory illnesses and treating them - I like the knowledge base and the thinking involved. I like seeing the patients get better. I like actually doing physical exams on patients (this is a specialty where that still counts). I also don’t have to deal with a lot of the primary care nuisances that the PCPs do. I sense that you’ve probably never spent much (or any) time in a rheumatology clinic. This is a specialized world with specialized knowledge, and I like it.

Nobody who has spent any time around rheumatologists (or the medicine we practice-or the pts we treat) would think this has much of anything in common with primary care. Most rheumatologists don’t want to be PCPs, either. For me, it was down to ID, onc or rheum-and I chose rheum for the reasons above and more.
Obviously not talking about the subject matter, just more so comparing two clinic based specialties based on objective factors. PCPs probably see more patients but the visits can often be very easy, "DM doing well, htn doing well, refer to GI for colonoscopy" bill a 99214 and keep it pushing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Compensation doesn't match the lifestyle hit you take if you're covering the ICU.

Onc by a mile. GI and cards obviously have a higher compensation opportunity, but you're going to work hard for that. Onc on the other hand is an almost completely outpatient specialty with good hours and (generally) grateful patients. And it pays well too. 2 of my partners who work part-time (3 clinic days a week) will clear >$500K this year, and another couple who work FT (4d/wk) are looking to be in the $600-650K range...and we're having a hard time recruiting because we "don't pay well enough".

This is for ~1.5 weeknight on call each month and 4 weekends a year. I've been doing this for a decade and have never gone in after clinic hours...I guarantee you won't find a GI or cards doc who can say that.

Currently deciding between GI and oncology... my goal is to make over 1M a year and Fat FIRE as soon as possible. Would you recommend GI or oncology for this? Location does not matter, days/week does not matter, and honestly satisfaction with my work environment does not matter as this would be a temporary position as I work to build a sizable nest egg and pay off debt. My goal would to work as hard as possible, even if that includes 120 hr weeks.

It seems from these numbers and > $100/RVU for oncology vs ~$65-70/RVU in GI, oncology would theoretically have a better $/hr ratio. But what I don't understand is that, if an oncologist wanted to grind and become an RVU machine is that theoretically possible? Or are they limited by acillary staff/office hours, etc? What's stopping an oncologist from working 6am - 10pm in the clinic 7 days a week, seeing 60-70 patients a day to generate as many RVU via 99214.5 as possible? Are there oncologists that do this with the current $/RVU set up?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Currently deciding between GI and oncology... my goal is to make over 1M a year and Fat FIRE as soon as possible. Would you recommend GI or oncology for this? Location does not matter, days/week does not matter, and honestly satisfaction with my work environment does not matter as this would be a temporary position as I work to build a sizable nest egg and pay off debt. My goal would to work as hard as possible, even if that includes 120 hr weeks.
Are you even in med school yet? Do you have any clinical experience in medicine, oncology or GI...at all?
It seems from these numbers and > $100/RVU for oncology vs ~$65-70/RVU in GI, oncology would theoretically have a better $/hr ratio. But what I don't understand is that, if an oncologist wanted to grind and become an RVU machine is that theoretically possible? Or are they limited by acillary staff/office hours, etc? What's stopping an oncologist from working 6am - 10pm in the clinic 7 days a week, seeing 60-70 patients a day to generate as many RVU via 99214.5 as possible? Are there oncologists that do this with the current $/RVU set up?
Support staff mostly. And the fact that patients have no interest in 6am or 10pm appointments for the most part. Oh...and the reality that this is not physically or emotionally sustainable in even the short term.

If you can figure out a way to run a clinic 112h a week without killing yourself (and I mean literally putting a bullet in your own head, not figuratively running yourself into the ground), let me know.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

GI can make 1M without 120 hours a week. But if you haven’t even started fellowship yet then I wouldn’t go around assuming making that much money by the time you’re done. Things in healthcare (and the world) are changing rapidly. I would bet my entire net worth that healthcare will be entirely different within 5-10 years and what we discuss now will not apply.

Reactions: 2 users

To be honest, this sounds like a terrible “strategy”. Where I did residency, there was a hospitalist/GIM guy who apparently hated being a doctor and was trying to do this “FIRE” stuff as soon as possible-so he took every single spare moonlighting shift he could possibly sign up for, as well as working in an outpatient clinic. It wasn’t clear when he actually slept. Regardless, whether it was from apathy, sleep dep or actual mental illness stimulated from this insane strategy, he was a terrible clinician and his overall affect and mannerisms deteriorated dramatically during the time I was there to the point that the state PHP was called on him by his colleagues because they thought he may have had schizophrenia.

So no. Don’t do this.

Reactions: 3 users
That poster's entire history here has been about how to make as much money as possible. No apparent clinical interest in any of the fields beyond their compensation. Can't get in to one of the fields that is actually designed to print money like specialty ortho or derm so haunts this board instead.

Legit thought this was a troll post

Legit thought this was a troll post
Scary thing is that some docs actually think this way out there. There was another hospitalist at my institution who worked something like 28 days out of each month because he had no family, apparently no hobbies or anything else to do in his life, and “didn’t know what else to do if he wasn’t at work”.

Do yourself and your potential future patients a favor and go to Wall Street.

• Haha
Do yourself and your potential future patients a favor and go to Wall Street.
That's so true. I've been lucky to be healthy so far to not need regular doctors visit but i'm nearing the age when some regular screening are recommended. If diagnosed with some serious illnesses,godforbid, I'd be more afraid to face jaded & 'FIRE 4 Life' doctors than the actual diagnosis.
Sally, i hope you recalibrate your priorities.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's so true. I've been lucky to be healthy so far to not need regular doctors visit but i'm nearing the age when some regular screening are recommended. If diagnosed with some serious illnesses,godforbid, I'd be more afraid to face jaded & 'FIRE 4 Life' doctors than the actual diagnosis.
Sally, i hope you recalibrate your priorities.
If you don't want to face FIRE mindset doctors, then blame the government. They took away ownership and medical decision making from doctors and gave it on a silver platter to corporate entities, whose sole purpose is to make a profit. Most of us didn't go into medical school wanting FIRE, because that would be idiotic. Most of us see FIRE as a way out after observing the world around us, and the unfathomable decay of medicine year after year. If you get an actual serious illness, I would be more afraid of the cost-cutting hospital system in town or the deny-everything insurance company.

If you pay attention at all to threads on SDN or speak to younger physicians in real life, you'll know that more of us are looking at FIRE than not. That doesn't mean I'll compromise on my care for patients. In fact, a lot of the burnout is DUE to trying hard but failing to be able to provide good care in the current system which strips autonomy from us, while commoditizing “providers” and adding red tape. That all boils down to the fact that once I make enough money, I'm not going to be one of these 70 year old docs still grinding it out 8-7pm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
If you don't want to face FIRE mindset doctors, then blame the government. They took away ownership and medical decision making from doctors and gave it on a silver platter to corporate entities, whose sole purpose is to make a profit.
I'm afraid you stated the obvious. The ills of the medical industrial complex is very apparent to a premed college junior let alone to a practicing physician like myself.
Most of us didn't go into medical school wanting FIRE, because that would be idiotic. Most of us see FIRE as a way out after observing the world around us, and the unfathomable decay of medicine year after year. If you get an actual serious illness, I would be more afraid of the cost-cutting hospital system in town or the deny-everything insurance company.
You can still retire on time (FIR-on-time) with fair financial cushion without having to cut corners or wanting to work to the ground just to be able to retire early. The slow but steady wins the race. This also could help for burn-out.

I also highly doubt the FIRE mindset doctor working 120hr a week is going to be available & advocate for me or doing his/her part to fight the forces you mentioned.
If you pay attention at all to threads on SDN or speak to younger physicians in real life, you'll know that more of us are looking at FIRE than not. That doesn't mean I'll compromise on my care for patients. In fact, a lot of the burnout is DUE to trying hard but failing to be able to provide good care in the current system which strips autonomy from us, while commoditizing “providers” and adding red tape. That all boils down to the fact that once I make enough money, I'm not going to be one of these 70 year old docs still grinding it out 8-7pm.
I'm not oblivious to personal finance, retirement planning & saving. In fact, i intently follow multiple financial forums including the WCI forum where young and old high-net-worth physicians discuss various financial topics including retirement. To your surprise, the majority are often grateful for the profession and propelling them in nice financial path. And continue to practice despite having the nest egg to call it quits anytime.

I'm afraid you stated the obvious. The ills of the medical industrial complex is very apparent to a premed college junior let alone to a practicing physician like myself.

You can still retire on time (FIR-on-time) with fair financial cushion without having to cut corners or wanting to work to the ground just to be able to retire early. The slow but steady wins the race. This also could help for burn-out.

I also highly doubt the FIRE mindset doctor working 120hr a week is going to be available & advocate for me or doing his/her part to fight the forces you mentioned.

I'm not oblivious to personal finance, retirement planning & saving. In fact, i intently follow multiple financial forums including the WCI forum where young and old high-net-worth physicians discuss various financial topics including retirement. To your surprise, the majority are often grateful for the profession and propelling them in nice financial path. And continue to practice despite having the nest egg to call it quits anytime.
I never said the FIRE mindset is working 120 hours a week. FIRE mindset is just that - trying to achieve FIRE. In fact, most people here are entirely against this approach, hence the response to said poster who proposed this. If you aren't oblivious to what is being stated here, then what you would know is that the vast majority of FIRE proponents are for being frugal and cutting costs in order to save up, as opposed to working themselves ragged or compromising patient care.

If you are against someone working 120 hours a week for whatever reason (FIRE or otherwise), then I agree. Just don't conflate this mindset with those who aspire to FIRE.

Last edited:
If you are against someone working 120 hours a week for whatever reason (FIRE or otherwise), then I agree. Just don't conflate this mindset with those who aspire to FIRE.
I'd be more afraid to face jaded & 'FIRE 4 Life' doctors than the actual diagnosis.
Need i explain more? Good luck with your FIRE aspiration.

Need i explain more? Good luck with your FIRE aspiration.
Good luck with finding a young doc who doesn’t FIRE when/if you need medical care.

If you don't want to face FIRE mindset doctors, then blame the government. They took away ownership and medical decision making from doctors and gave it on a silver platter to corporate entities, whose sole purpose is to make a profit. Most of us didn't go into medical school wanting FIRE, because that would be idiotic. Most of us see FIRE as a way out after observing the world around us, and the unfathomable decay of medicine year after year. If you get an actual serious illness, I would be more afraid of the cost-cutting hospital system in town or the deny-everything insurance company.

Preach.

Sure.

$/RVU is not $/hour.

The average GI makes more than the average Onc.
But what is the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE to earn? How do I earn 75 million/year? WHICH FIELD? Is it possible to do a LHC and an endoscopy at the same time using one hand for each in the outpatient surgery center I own while prescribing chemo using telemedicine in the infusion center I own while only doing one fellowship? How much could I make if I did that?????!21

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
But what is the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE to earn? How do I earn 75 million/year? WHICH FIELD? Is it possible to do a LHC and an endoscopy at the same time using one hand for each in the outpatient surgery center I own while prescribing chemo using telemedicine in the infusion center I own while only doing one fellowship? How much could I make if I did that?????!21
I'm not sure about chemo but I could probably send in Tamoxifen with my toes... you will just have to structure your schedule correctly!

Medicine (and the current bizarre state of the medical industrial complex) looks a lot different when you know you can walk away from it at any time. I agree that medicine is a really terrific thing to be able to practice, but I also see the (many) flaws in the current system. (Also keep in mind that many of these “big nest egg” doctors that are still working have already cut their hours back and/or slowed down their practice in other ways. Again, it all looks different when you’re working 2-3 days a week or something.) My solution to this has been to try to get that sense of “ownership” back by switching to private practice and thus being able to (as much as possible) try to practice things *my* way, on *my terms*, which I think is critically important to the happiness and wellness of any doctor nowadays.

Bottom line: while I am personally committed to the profession, I also totally see why people want to GTFO. I’m working on knocking down my debt among other things at the moment, but don’t necessarily knock your colleagues for trying to get out of it earlier. This is the profession with the highest suicide rate out there, as well as hideously high burnout rates and such. It’s OK if you don’t want to do it anymore. You don’t have to give your life over to it.

Last edited:
I think her goal is pretty stupid, but what the hell - I’ll bite. If your goal is just to rack em, pack em, crack em and irresponsibly maximize your income by any possible means while practicing garbage quality medicine, then GI is probably the better choice. Hell, I’ve already encountered a number of GIs whose entire goal seems to be to shove scopes up butts and down throats to the sheer maximum extent possible, whether or not they forget every other cognitive aspect of their specialty in the process (I have had more than one of these GIs tell me something along the lines of “hepatology is that thing the NPs do while we go scope”.) If you truly don’t give a damn about what you’re doing aside from making enough $$$ to GTFO medicine at the earliest possible opportunity, at least you might do (slightly) less damage doing GI.

Heme/onc, meanwhile, is much messier. For one thing, it is one of the more cognitively complicated specialties out there, and nowadays decades of research into cancer biology has come to fruition, manifesting into a bumper crop of new drugs and other treatments to learn every year. Reading up on this stuff and going to conferences will surely slow down your goal of sheer economic maximization, if all you care about is the glorious $$$. Second, it’s also laden with touchy-feely stuff, such as patients bawling their eyes out as you diagnose them with potentially lethal illnesses - and surely that will slow you down in your quest to see 60 patients per day while billing the maximum amount possible.

In reality, Sally, if this is your metric for choosing a specialty, you should probably rethink the whole “doctor thing” altogether. But I digress.

I think her goal is pretty stupid, but what the hell - I’ll bite. If your goal is just to rack em, pack em, crack em and irresponsibly maximize your income by any possible means while practicing garbage quality medicine, then GI is probably the better choice. Hell, I’ve already encountered a number of GIs whose entire goal seems to be to shove scopes up butts and down throats to the sheer maximum extent possible, whether or not they forget every other cognitive aspect of their specialty in the process (I have had more than one of these GIs tell me something along the lines of “hepatology is that thing the NPs do while we go scope”.) If you truly don’t give a damn about what you’re doing aside from making enough $$$ to GTFO medicine at the earliest possible opportunity, at least you might do (slightly) less damage doing GI.

Heme/onc, meanwhile, is much messier. For one thing, it is one of the more cognitively complicated specialties out there, and nowadays decades of research into cancer biology has come to fruition, manifesting into a bumper crop of new drugs and other treatments to learn every year. Reading up on this stuff and going to conferences will surely slow down your goal of sheer economic maximization, if all you care about is the glorious $$$. Second, it’s also laden with touchy-feely stuff, such as patients bawling their eyes out as you diagnose them with potentially lethal illnesses - and surely that will slow you down in your quest to see 60 patients per day while billing the maximum amount possible.

In reality, Sally, if this is your metric for choosing a specialty, you should probably rethink the whole “doctor thing” altogether. But I digress.
GI has become an embarrassment to medicine. Scope reimbursement is the poster child for what's wrong with health care reimbursement. Incentivizing highly trained cognitive clinicians (medicine specialists) to do only rote procedures that can realistically be done by a midlevel is just asinine on so many levels.
I couldn't care less that they love scoping - I like doing injections. But it's just revolting to shove complicated patients to severely undertrained midlevels for the sole purpose of profit-seeking. Albeit not EVERY GI does this but I’ve seen enough first hand examples where this is an arrangement ripe for abuse.

Last edited:
  • Love
GI is honestly an embarrassment to medicine. Scope reimbursement is the poster child for what's wrong with health care reimbursement. Incentivizing highly trained cognitive clinicians (medicine specialists) to do only rote procedures that can realistically be done by a midlevel is just asinine on so many levels.
I couldn't care less that they love scoping - I like doing injections. But it's just revolting to shove complicated patients to severely undertrained midlevels for the sole purpose of profit-seeking.
I've seen a new trend too where the Emtala gi resists coming in to egd actively bleeding cirrhotics outside of banker hours and instead trying to punt straight to a tips and avoid writing a consult note entirely. I feel like there must be some kind of research I am not aware of that espouses the better outcomes in Ugib when they don't undergo egd. I'm sure the fact that they are all uninsured or on government insurance has nothing to do with it of course.

I've seen a new trend too where the Emtala gi resists coming in to egd actively bleeding cirrhotics outside of banker hours and instead trying to punt straight to a tips and avoid writing a consult note entirely. I feel like there must be some kind of research I am not aware of that espouses the better outcomes in Ugib when they don't undergo egd. I'm sure the fact that they are all uninsured or on government insurance has nothing to do with it of course.

There’s evidence that you shouldn’t scope immediately because alot of bleeds will stop spontaneously with octreotide+PPI but I’m sure you know guidelines indicate
On the whole GI vs onc thing I think the factor that people don’t consider is that GI gets paid for call, the more rural you go the higher the pay. I know people getting 1-2k/night for GI panel call in socal. I can only imagine that would be 2–3k/night minimum in the sticks, so that’s a million dollars a year just for call if you’re on every night then you get paid for the scopes as well….

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly!
Or pick a specialty he/she can tolerate start a side hustle on some nights & weekends.
Perhaps doing Botox injections, Hair transplant etc. Or Oncology training to pharma industry

GI has become an embarrassment to medicine. Scope reimbursement is the poster child for what's wrong with health care reimbursement. Incentivizing highly trained cognitive clinicians (medicine specialists) to do only rote procedures that can realistically be done by a midlevel is just asinine on so many levels.
I couldn't care less that they love scoping - I like doing injections. But it's just revolting to shove complicated patients to severely undertrained midlevels for the sole purpose of profit-seeking. Albeit not EVERY GI does this but I’ve seen enough first hand examples where this is an arrangement ripe for abuse.
And I think part of the “love” of scoping is the love of $$$. My understanding is that in the 1970s and 1980s (aka back before GI meant big bucks), it was not a highly desired specialty and was considered kind of gross - who wants to deal with poop all day? Then, of course, reimbursements went up and the specialty turned into the “prestigious” one that it is today.

Back in those days, PCPs were revered and paid better and docs in training actually wanted to do that, too-and then CMS and the government tried their hardest to turn the cornerstone of American medicine into a **** pit of an underpaid specialty, and unsurprisingly nobody wants to do it now…

And I think part of the “love” of scoping is the love of $$$. My understanding is that in the 1970s and 1980s (aka back before GI meant big bucks), it was not a highly desired specialty and was considered kind of gross - who wants to deal with poop all day? Then, of course, reimbursements went up and the specialty turned into the “prestigious” one that it is today.

Back in those days, PCPs were revered and paid better and docs in training actually wanted to do that, too-and then CMS and the government tried their hardest to turn the cornerstone of American medicine into a **** pit of an underpaid specialty, and unsurprisingly nobody wants to do it now…

One of my attendings was talking about in the 80s-90s PCPs were paid very well then reimbursements crashes.

What was the reason for that back then? So random that people testing eczema are the highest paid docs lol.

One of my attendings was talking about in the 80s-90s PCPs were paid very well then reimbursements crashes.

What was the reason for that back then? So random that people testing eczema are the highest paid docs lol.
Because there was no managed care!
Medicine was FFS.

The reason it changed can be sourced back to a series of Harvard studies commissioned by Congress published in the 1980s that served as the (flawed) foundation of the RVU. It needed a lot of work by the time they used up all the funding money so it was up to the government to fix the shell of a system that Dr. Hsiao concocted. The republicans thought it was wrong for the government to dictate what doctors should get paid and surrendered that duty to the AMA which in turn invented the shady RUC although to be fair I think it was an easy political hot potato that nobody wanted to make it look like they were trying to cut funding to doctors.

You can really go down the rabbit hole if you want to understand how it got so messed up.

The AMA makes more than half their annual take charging for CPT code updates that the RUC assigns values to that are essentially de-facto accepted by CMS. Their meetings are confidential and quite secretive and the voting process is never publicized so you dont get to see how bad the surgical fields are reaming the others. The RUC is heavily distorted to subspecialty care, having equal representation between ENT, a specialty with with under 10k active providers in the USA and pediatrics with >50k practicing providers (not counting FM). It is basically impossible to fix because the government created a system where there was a fixed amount for doctors to divide up and the surgical fields have huge voting power in the RUC over the cognitive fields. They would have to essentially vote themselves a pay cut to give a raise to the PCPs, fat chance of that ever happening.

Reactions: 7 users
The reason it changed can be sourced back to a series of Harvard studies commissioned by Congress published in the 1980s that served as the (flawed) foundation of the RVU. It needed a lot of work by the time they used up all the funding money so it was up to the government to fix the shell of a system that Dr. Hsiao concocted. The republicans thought it was wrong for the government to dictate what doctors should get paid and surrendered that duty to the AMA which in turn invented the shady RUC although to be fair I think it was an easy political hot potato that nobody wanted to make it look like they were trying to cut funding to doctors.

You can really go down the rabbit hole if you want to understand how it got so messed up.

The AMA makes more than half their annual take charging for CPT code updates that the RUC assigns values to that are essentially de-facto accepted by CMS. Their meetings are confidential and quite secretive and the voting process is never publicized so you dont get to see how bad the surgical fields are reaming the others. The RUC is heavily distorted to subspecialty care, having equal representation between ENT, a specialty with with under 10k active providers in the USA and pediatrics with >50k practicing providers (not counting FM). It is basically impossible to fix because the government created a system where there was a fixed amount for doctors to divide up and the surgical fields have huge voting power in the RUC over the cognitive fields. They would have to essentially vote themselves a pay cut to give a raise to the PCPs, fat chance of that ever happening.
Oh, I know. And this is yet another reason why I’m utterly disgusted by the AMA and refuse to give it a single cent of my money.

That said, every now and then I think that a big group of docs with their heads on straight should “infiltrate” the AMA, get elected to the proper positions, and start forcing that institution to do good things instead of continuing to do all the stupid nonsense that it does now…

Thank you this makes sense.

Also, why are IM people bashing wanting to maximize earning as a means to escape corporate medicine? If you look at the more cash-centric specialties like radiology, anesthesiology, EM they tend to be a lot more open about this FIRE mentality as a means of personal liberation for corporate medicine. What's wrong with maximizing earning potential in a medical subspecialty?

Also, why are IM people bashing wanting to maximize earning as a means to escape corporate medicine? If you look at the more cash-centric specialties like radiology, anesthesiology, EM they tend to be a lot more open about this FIRE mentality as a means of personal liberation for corporate medicine. What's wrong with maximizing earning potential in a medical subspecialty?
Because based on your posts you don't seem to care what kind of medicine you practice, you just want to make a bunch of money by whatever means.

Its one thing if you go into a field you like AND want to maximize income (most of us have that to varying degrees). But you seem to want to choose a field based solely on the income potential. That rubs people the wrong way.

So who determines the composition of the RUC? You would imagine it would be more like the unions in pro sports, mostly made up of the more common specialties.

Because people are hypocrites and are virtue signaling.

Everyone does this to a degree, but once you’re >5 years out of training as a Subspecialist and you’ve made your money they all seem to forget what it was like to be a poor scared trainee.

• Haha
Because people are hypocrites and are virtue signaling.

Everyone does this to a degree, but once you’re >5 years out of training as a Subspecialist and you’ve made your money they all seem to forget what it was like to be a poor scared trainee.
No we're not. I'm an FP (so not a subspecialist at all) and haven't "made my money" to any significant degree.

Money is a motivator to all of us (I wouldn't do this for free and I'll pick a higher paying job over a lower one all other things being equal). But money should not be the sole motivator. That way leads to burn out.

No we're not. I'm an FP (so not a subspecialist at all) and haven't "made my money" to any significant degree.

Money is a motivator to all of us (I wouldn't do this for free and I'll pick a higher paying job over a lower one all other things being equal). But money should not be the sole motivator. That way leads to burn out.

So if you’re someone, and I’ve met a few who are genuinely this way, who love everything. How else do you make your decision besides $ and lifestyle?

So if you’re someone, and I’ve met a few who are genuinely this way, who love everything. How else do you make your decision besides $ and lifestyle?
That's how lots of us FPs end up here. I enjoyed every single rotation 3rd year.

But, its also very rare that you have someone who could actually see themselves literally doing every single specialty and being happy doing it.

Maximizing income is fine - within the realm of practicing responsible, good medicine that helps patients and doesn’t hurt yourself. I promise you that running a clinic 110 hours a week doesn’t achieve either of these goals. You will be miserable, you will practice terrible medicine, and everyone from your patients to your colleagues to yourself will know it.

If you are GI doc that is not afraid to go anywhere, you basically have a $$$ printing machine... 1M/yr is not impossible to make (or fabricate).

Medicine will likely change in 5-10 yrs. If you are in residency right now, hospital medicine might be a safer bet to be FIRE (not fat FIRE) in 10 yrs since you will be able to make 400-450k without working yourself to death.

Last edited:
GI is not a lifestyle specialty as most of us practice it. It can be I suppose. There are 50% time outpatient only practices out there.

GI is not a lifestyle specialty as most of us practice it. It can be I suppose. There are 50% time outpatient only practices out there.
Ik a GI doc where I work that doesn't see patients in clinic. It's either the NP or a resident if he has one. He scopes then goes home 1-2, and I'm assuming he clears 500k easily. Practicing poorly/unethically, GI is a great lifestyle and money specialty.

Ik a GI doc where I work that doesn't see patients in clinic. It's either the NP or a resident if he has one. He scopes then goes home 1-2, and I'm assuming he clears 500k easily. Practicing poorly/unethically, GI is a great lifestyle and money specialty.
My friend told me his group's GI does the same. No clinic. Scope only.

They need to change the name of the specialty to "endoscopy," and make it a series of weekend courses at a Disney Resort.

This is really horrible practice. his practice should be reported and suspended

There is one general surgeon (not colorectal) in my small city (or town) who does outpatient scope. He is semi retired. I guess scoping is a cash cow.

I wonder what the reimbursement is like to just spend 15-20 mins scoping both upper/lower GI