1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

best subject to start studying early...

Discussion in 'Step I' started by TxMed, Aug 6, 2006.

1. TxMed

TxMed SpottieOttieDopalicious
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i know its a bit early to begin studying for step i...but, what subject is hardest to cram? i was thinking maybe biochem...any thoughts? i have no worries about path or pharm because i can do them along with class. so i guess that narrows the options down to biochem, physiology, anatomy/embrology, microbiology/immunology, histology...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'd cram biochem - fa is usually good enough and you could do it in 3 days. Pharm was my achilles heel, so I'd recommend starting that one early. Again, FA is good enough for that.

4. suckerfree

10+ Year Member

If you memorize BRS Path, you will always be able to relate everyting from every other subject back to it. If you memorize it well enough that you can then read the whole book in 3 days and get approx 100% questions in it correct during the weeks before your actual USMLE, that would be good.

Or, memorizing the information in Qbank = guarantee 260. I wish I did that. I'm on my 2nd run through and am now appreciating it much better.

5. TxMed

TxMed SpottieOttieDopalicious
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

thanks for the info. i have been doing brs path along with class and i have about 1/3 of it memorized. how far in advance would you recommend starting qbank?

6. suckerfree

10+ Year Member

I have my exam on this August 10. I heard on here a few months ago some guy posted that he only studied First Aid, BRS Path, and memorized qbank (1st run through 60 - 70, 2nd run through 85%, then 3rd run through near 100%). He ended up with a 260. I used to wonder how comprehensive qbank would be, and if it doesn't include all the info then could one expect that it wouldn't be enough to just study and 100% memorize these sources. what a bunch of nonsense. I am using a 2004 First Aid, and all the qbank q's are in that book. 95% of the people who say that these sources are only enough to only guarantee a pass are also people who do not have these sources memorized 100%. Also, there is an intangible factor to being able to get in the zone the week before the test and fly through qbank. It DEFINITELY contains all the important concepts, as well as plenty of off the wall things (hence it is quite comprehensive), but if you can fly through q's picking up on buzzwords/concepts, and reflexively find your way to the right answer, that mental process will take you to a whole new level. Wish I'd known this sooner. I have been studying for 3 months and have read every book known to medical students. In the end, the last 3 weeks I did BRS Phys 1 week (I know, burned out so that's why it took so long), BRS path for 6 days (I know it really well), and FA. MY path averages now around 77% on my second run through of it, and my cumulative average is only 69%. I am making my second run through of Qbank this week before my test, but really, this was a dumb, dumb move. I should have just memorized if from the get go 2 months ago. I was one of those med students who learned very little during the first 2 years and I have learned now more in the last 3 months than I have in the last 2 years. The intangible skill of reflexively responding to clinical scenarios after picking up on pathognomonic features veiled in the history has only come together for me about a month ago. Sheesh. I just threw away a 260 is the way I look at it. Another website that is excellent: stepprep.com. Some guy made 4000 q's to help you encode First Aid. If I could do it all over again, I would probably have used this website for a month. You can go through a few hundred q's in an hour or 2 if you're fast and you know FA well. It would be a good excersise to go through every day in the evening. A 260 on this exam will do more to secure your future and your family's future than anything else in your life perhaps. Isn't it worth it?

7. mjl1717

mjl1717 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

well said!