Best supplemental book for organic chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passionformed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best book for organic chem?

Members don't see this ad.

The assigned text.

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as I saw that MedPR had replied to my thread, I instantly knew that this was exactly what you were going to say.

I'm glad someone as new as yourself already knows me so well.

Everyone on SDN thinks this is gold.
:thumbup:

Last edited:
I hear a lot of people talking about "Organic chemistry as a second language"

I used http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-John-E-McMurry/dp/0840054440/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357814110&sr=8-2&keywords=organic+chemistry It was an awesome book! The reviews don't look good on amazon on the new version, but its not because its a bad book it is for other reasons dealing with the online access code and how its not much different than the older editions. I would say go with the assigned text because that is what your instructor will test from, I think you can learn it from any book for sure, but you will be picking through the book (if you buy one different from assigned) looking for all the mechanisms that you will be tested on that test.

you asked for a supplemental book.... I would absolutely recommend Pushing Electrons

http://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Electrons-Students-Organic-Chemistry/dp/0030206936/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357814311&sr=1-1&keywords=pushing+electrons

It is an awesome book, you want to complete it the first two weeks of class, its a short book but gets you in the perfect mindset for the semester. Find it used you can get it for less than 10 dollars, look for one without writing in it because it is a workbook. Hope this helps best of luck.

I second this book as a great supplement to the text

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Definitely this. "Organic chemistry as a second language" helped me so much. Just make sure you stay ahead of the lectures by using this book to introduce you to the material. That helped me best when my first exposure to the material was from this book rather than the textbook (wade) or professor.

"Organic chemistry as a second language" is okay book, doesn't really go into detail much, fine as a supplement, but I found it useless.

If its not already your assigned book, Solomons and Fryhle Organic Chemistry is excellent

Organic Chem I for Dummies was my go-to for first semester. I'm not sure if they have an Orgo II book, however.

I also highly suggest orgo as a second language, especially for the first semester. I didn't use orgo as a second language II, designed for orgo II though, because once you get past most of the first semester, orgo is mainly about memorizing reactions (with the exception of material on how to read data from lab machines that identify compounds-NMR, IR, etc)

I thought one of the best books, which I sadly didn't discover until AFTER I took orgo, was "The Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry." I really liked how it went deep into the fundamentals, and this helped me even later on with the MCAT. It focuses on a more "understanding" approach as opposed to what is just rote memorization, which was really refreshing.