Best SurgPath Fellowship in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaitanium

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Northwestern or Univ Chicago or Rush for someone interested in private practice? What I am looking for is strong teaching, job placement in the Chicagoland area (or nearby burbs), friendly atmosphere and autonomy.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say University of Illinois at Chicago. U of Chicago would be too research-oriented, UIC allows one to rotate at the various suburban hospitals. I have heard (first-hand) that the teaching at Lutheran General and Advocate Illinois Masonic is phenomenal.

When I interviewed Rush didn't have a SP fellowship, so double check that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay far away from UIC, they spend much of the year grossing at county since county lost its' residency. I do not think their job placement is very good either.

NW or preferably U of C are your best bet by far.

Northwestern or Univ Chicago or Rush for someone interested in private practice? What I am looking for is strong teaching, job placement in the Chicagoland area (or nearby burbs), friendly atmosphere and autonomy.

Thanks.

Go with University of Chicago. All else being equal a private practice group would rather hire a U of C guy over over some place called Advocate Illinois Masonic.

Go with University of Chicago. All else being equal a private practice group would rather hire a U of C guy over over some place called Advocate Illinois Masonic.

depends on if you stay local or not. lutheran and masonic absorbed people who made northwestern great back in the day, before they hemorrhaged senior staff. i think the guy in charge at lutheran was mass gen trained.

they also have super cush jobs and it wouldn't hurt to build some connections there.

depends on if you stay local or not. lutheran and masonic absorbed people who made northwestern great back in the day, before they hemorrhaged senior staff. i think the guy in charge at lutheran was mass gen trained.

they also have super cush jobs and it wouldn't hurt to build some connections there.

That's true. If they happen to have a job opening and you are a superstar and they like you. But since there are probably 100 hospitals in the Chicagoland area, coming from a place like U of C or mass general or having been faculty at NW would increase your chances at all of them.

Ask the ones at Advocate and Lutheran how many of them did their training in their program.

I just checked http://pathology.uic.edu/about/directory.asp
and looked at all the faculty listed as being located at Advocate lutheran and Masonic and only one did their training there. All the rest show a pedigree of NW, Univ of Chi, JHU, MGH, etc.... So even at this desirable community practice Chicago group almost all the pathologists have uber-Academic pedigree.

Listen people, it is in your best interest to shoot for the stars. Go to the biggest baddest program you can get into. It will open doors for you.

I just checked http://pathology.uic.edu/about/directory.asp
and looked at all the faculty listed as being located at Advocate lutheran and Masonic and only one did their training there. All the rest show a pedigree of NW, Univ of Chi, JHU, MGH, etc.... So even at this desirable community practice Chicago group almost all the pathologists have uber-Academic pedigree.

Listen people, it is in your best interest to shoot for the stars. Go to the biggest baddest program you can get into. It will open doors for you.

Thanks pathstudent. You are my guiding light and always will be. :love::love::love:

UIC SP fellows only go to UIC and Cook County. And yes, there is a fair amount of grossing involved. So even though Lutheran and Masonic are nice places to make connections, they are only for residents, and fellows likely won't even meet many of those pathologists, much less work along side them.

I've known people who've done SP at U of C (I think you work directly with Dr. Krausz, who is awesome) and have really liked it. NW SP fellowship is really scutty, as I understand it. Loyola is supposed to be busy, but pretty good.

I'd rank them U of C >> Loyola > UIC > NW. All IMHO.

dr. krausz is a beast. the hungarian accent makes all the path chicks swoon.