Best Textbook For Anatomy - Moore or Snell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a medical student in the future and was wondering what individuals ,who have completed the first semester, feel is the best textbook to use for Anatomy? "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore was the required textbook for my school in the past but now "Clinical Anatomy by Regions" by Snell will be the required textbook for the upcoming class. Because the required textbook was changed to "Clinical Anatomy by Regions" by Snell, does this mean that utilizing this textbook would be more helpful than using "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore? In other words, do Anatomy lectures resemble the information and pictures in the required textbook or do the Anatomy lectures follow a distinct style allowing one to use any Anatomy textbook that one is most comfortable with?

I plan on potentially purchasing one of these textbooks in the near future so any input on which textbook - "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore or "Clinical Anatomy by Regions" by Snell is the best textbook to use for Anatomy will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be a medical student in the future and was wondering what individuals ,who have completed the first semester, feel is the best textbook to use for Anatomy? "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore was the required textbook for my school in the past but now "Clinical Anatomy by Regions" by Snell will be the required textbook for the upcoming class. Because the required textbook was changed to "Clinical Anatomy by Regions" by Snell, does this mean that utilizing this textbook would be more helpful than using "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore? In other words, do Anatomy lectures resemble the information and pictures in the required textbook or do the Anatomy lectures follow a distinct style allowing one to use any Anatomy textbook that one is most comfortable with?

I plan on potentially purchasing one of these textbooks in the near future so any input on which textbook - "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore or "Clinical Anatomy by Regions" by Snell is the best textbook to use for Anatomy will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
neither!!!! gray student 2010 second ed.is best

I rocked the course and here is what I used but it takes some serious time committment to do this. BTW, our course was Cell bio, Anatomy, Embryo, and Histo together which I think most schools do it that way anyway.

This sounds like a lot of work, but just break it down in an organized fashion. I basically only read 30 pages of textbook a day every day and I was done with the sections a whole week in advance of the test so I was able to do all the other junk you see down there. It's all about slowly moving through it. I know you only asked about a book, but I thought I would help you because I wish someone did the same for me.

Text Book
  • Gray's Anatomy for Students 2nd Ed. (I read this book Cover to Cover). On a side note, I used Moore, and the blue boxes are amazing. Snell looks good too. To be honest, Anatomy hasn't changed that much in the last 100 years so all the books would be just fine so here is my suggestion: Go to the library and see which writing style is the least boring to you. Whatever you do, you have to read the Moore Blue Boxes and the Green ones in Grays.
Question Books
Review Books
  • High Yield Gross Anatomy This book is just cool beans and great for that last day before the test.
  • High Yield Embryology (Great Resource, I even used it for our Genetics and Neoplasia Block).
  • For Histology, I purchased High yield Histo but it sucked ass.
Atlases
Free Stuff (Web Sites)
  • http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/ (makes me wish I went to UMICH - Don't take your tests without doing the questions here).
  • Blue Histology Website (I just used their quizzes, I suck at Histo and my school had it's own online lab so I just memorized pictures and function, and then did the quiz here and forgot it right after the real test).
Flash Cards
  • Netters Anatomy Flash Cards (I got these for free and they were awsome for those lonely bus rides home or waiting in the grocery line).
Good luck, don't fret and you will rock it, we are all rooting for you man.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If u wanna choose between moore n snell then snell is the best..but do it from a to zee. Actualy anat is a huge course.Along with gross there is histology n embryology too so if snell is done properly that'd be enough.

Honestly, I'd hold off on buying textbooks too soon. (This applies to all your classes) I'd wait until you've been in school for a few weeks to start buying books. Usually med schools provide a lot of support materials (virtual practicals, comprehensive syllabi, online study tools, lecture powerpoints) and a textbook might not be necessary (EVEN IF THEY SAY YOU NEED TO BUY IT.)

Usually if you buy a textbook, ideally it functions to highlight aspects that are deficient in your school's materials. (I bought Lippincott's for Biochem for instance.) Also you'd be surprised how much free content there is on the web like dissection videos, virtual practicals, radiograph image banks, etc. I function fine w/o a textbook. I often use online content to make review powerpoints that I go through on the bus.

That being said I did buy Rohen's cause I just wanted it as a desk reference for myself. It's got beautiful actual photographs of "Netterized" dissections.

You need to utilize the textbook that your school uses. You can look at other texts in the library but spending money for a text that is not the one that your schools uses is a waste of dollars.

Our school had Snell as the required textbook as well. I implore you, for all that is pure and decent in the world, not to get Snell. It has been correlated with increased medical student suicide rates :cool:

Seriously though, Snell is a dull read. And let's face it, how many different ways can anatomy be taught? We were told that we would fail anatomy if we didn't get Snell. One of my labmates ignored that and got Grays instead. He not only honored the class, he also got a 90th percentile shelf score. I played it safe and got the Snell. To be honest, it was a waste of my time. There are barely any real photographs in it, just drawings that look like something a high schooler created. The text is all over the place. He will discuss a topic many times in a chapter, but he skips all over the place before coming back to it again (an example: open the head & neck chapter and see what sense you can make out of the cranial nerves). You deserve a better reading textbook than Snell, especially for a class as straightforward as anatomy.

You need to utilize the textbook that your school uses. You can look at other texts in the library but spending money for a text that is not the one that your schools uses is a waste of dollars.

Not everyone agrees with your blanket statement that "you waste money" buying texts other than the course text.

There's a Moore's Student Edition which I used and it was really good. I used that along with a german series --Platzer, Netter's Anatomy, Netter's Flashcard and Rohen's photographic atlas (for the dissection/practical part of the exam). I also used Snell's Neuroanatomy which was great. I think that's all you need really.

I would agree with nontradfogie and say wait until you start the class to determine if you need the book. Oftentimes in med school, textbooks are used mostly for reference... like if your teacher didn't teach something well, you can go and read it in the text to clarify.

Personally, I rocked anatomy with just Netter and Rohen. I also used Acland video lectures, U Wisc dissection video website, and U Mich anatomy website for practice questions. Our required text was Moore for the clinical blue boxes, but luckily one of my classmates wrote summaries for each blue box and sent out the study guide to the entire class.

But overall, each person has their own learning method, so if you're the textbook kind of person, go for it.

I used my syllabus, Essential Clinical Anatomy, and Netter flashcards. I did also have a Rohen's, but I didn't find it too useful.

Our school had Snell as the required textbook as well. I implore you, for all that is pure and decent in the world, not to get Snell. It has been correlated with increased medical student suicide rates :cool:

I think I know where you go to med school, sadly enough.

I agree, I prefer Moore. Tedious read but I used it through all 4 years of med school especially fourth year on some of my sub-I's.

The clinical correlations make for good preparation as well for clinical rotations.

and Moore was much better, in retrospect, ito Step anatomy knowledge expectations on Step.

don't care too much for Snell.

Upperclassmen would be a great resource, but I can see how it complicates things since the recommended text has changed. That might mean that the course may follow along with the new text... Your best bet may be to attend a week or so of class while trying out both the books.

That said, I'm terrified about anatomy. Gently hounding the upperclassmen may be a good plan for both of us.

Moore is awesome for text and netter for atlas. Get both and you will rock in med school.

Moore is awesome for text and netter for atlas. Get both and you will rock in med school.

Yes! I'll add: don't pay attention to the diagrams in Moore's b/c they're terrible (quite a few mistakes and of course they are looney toones compared to Netter's diagrams), but the text is good. Also, get a copy of BRS.

Glance through both in your library and decide for yourself. There isn't a right or wrong with this as its all preference.

You don't need to buy a big text. Aside from reference (which can be conveniently performed in a library or the internet), it will not be useful. Reading a text is very low yield. Spend that extra time sleeping. Spend the money you save on alcohol.

Hello!!!!
Well I have the same problem as Confused 20. I don't know what textbook I must use. Well I has finished the anatomy course succesfully, but I think that I learnt feww things about clinical part. It's incredible but my textbook was Testud and Latarjet, and I also used Testud Jacobs, believe me!!!! Now I need to learn more about how to apply anatomy in clinic. So I was wondering if I should buy Moore or Snell books.Which is better for clinic???? CAn you help please???????, and what's about Grey's Anatomy.

And sorry about mistakes. I am from Peru and I speak spanish so maybe I had some mistakes. Also, correct me, please!!!!

school im at requires Moore. I find the big moore book too long to read so i use the small moore. even then i dont really read it ... grants dissector is enough.

and netters atlas sucks alone. combine it with rohen or thieme