Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best Textbooks for Pharm and Micro

Discussion in 'Step I' started by LoneSEAL, Jun 13, 2002.

1. LoneSEAL

LoneSEAL Senior Member

People have made many suggestions as to the best REVIEW books for pharm and micro. However, I'm looking for a textbook on these two subjects to get a firm base on the material. Suggestions on what are the best texts?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0838505988/qid=1024047686/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/104-1621603-0905545" target="_blank">Katzung</a> for pharm is popular.

4. dingiswayo

dingiswayo Senior Member

i would probably stick with lippincott as a primary text for pharm. anything else is too long to read cover-to-cover... as for micro, appleton and lang is pretty solid. it has enough detail to satisfy most med students.

5. sanfilippo

sanfilippo El Gaucho Misterioso

i used katzung and trevor's exam. and review for pharm by appleton and lange (6th ed.)--it's much smaller than the big tome by katzung. for micro, yes, go with jawetz and levinson's exam. and review also by appleton and lange (6th ed.). both these texts have a nice mix between text, review questions, and tables.

some use lippincott for pharm, which i heard was decent. micro made ridiculously simple is also popular but i can't comment on it. there are also bug cards and pharm cards...wait for them to be updated.
    -s.

6. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I used BRS Pharm and the pharm sections of the Kaplan home study program. I felt well prepared for the pharm questions. In fact, there were very few that I had to guess on (I wish that were true for the other disciplines!).

Katzung's review book is excellent and concise. I used it as a supplement to his text for school. You're welcome to my copy if you want it. PM me your snail mail address.

7. LoneSEAL

LoneSEAL Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by dingiswayo:
    <strong>as for micro, appleton and lang is pretty solid. it has enough detail to satisfy most med students.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">boy, appleton and lang's micro is DRY, DRY, and DRY. I don't see how it can be a good book for beginners. Micro made ridiculously simple book is better...

8. WingZero

WingZero Senior Member

I'm a firm believer in the High Yield series - unless you're studying for months for Step 1, I think the retention rate for reading through something like Lippincott is very low. Honestly, between High Yield Pharm and First Aid, I don't think there were more than a handful (literally) of questions on QBank or the actual USMLE that couldn't be answered with those two sources alone. Personally, I think going through something like High Yield Pharm 3 or 4 times will yield you a higher score than going through Lippincott once. But then again, people have their own study style. If you feel like you need the context provided by a larger book, by all means, use something more exhaustive. Although I only used High Yield Micro and Bug Cards for microbiology, I would recommend using Clinical Micro Made Rediculously Simple because it's easy reading and those crazy diagrams/cartoons are cheesy, but you'll never forget them. When it comes to Board studying, knowing the basics very well is far better than knowing everything semi-well.