Best thing to do starting M1 for Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this has been done to death, and I don't want to be that guy, but I really want to kill the step.

I'm currently an M1 in an organ-based curriculum (biochem/path/pharm/immuno/micro as foundations first, then organ systems) and I want to do as much step prep work as I can during the first 2 years since we have a relatively short dedicated step prep time (3 weeks).

So far I'm on firecracker and FA, but do you think I could supplement my coursework with something else like a qbook/bank (that's not UW/USMLERx/Kaplan) to do alongside class?

Obviously doing well in M1 and esp M2 is the best thing to do for step, but what are things I could do now that yields high dividends for when it comes to my actual, dedicated prep time?

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing. Focus on classes. This has been said over and over because it's the truth. Don't try and get cute with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
As stated above, a great step score starts with a great foundation in the basic science coursework.

Take step one early, as in at the end of the year. that way, you'll make room for research and get step 2 out of the way before anyone even takes step 1. you'll be way ahead of the game.

just joking...yeah, i agree with the above. Focus on classes. For M1 material, you can use outside sources to help you get things. Make sure the scope of your resources is appropriate.

... I'd say First Aid is a piece of shyt to try to use alongside classes. Even during M2 its not all that. The main convenient thing about it is that it has the bare bones physio + path + pharm ( + embryology, histo, and whatever else) in a very condensed number of pages.

... I'd say First Aid is a piece of shyt to try to use alongside classes. Even during M2 its not all that. The main convenient thing about it is that it has the bare bones physio + path + pharm ( + embryology, histo, and whatever else) in a very condensed number of pages.
yep!...good luck trying to understand what the "you know what" is going on by reading first aid.