Best thing to do summer after M1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enantio1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering preparing for Step 1 during the summer after M1 year. A bit of background: I had to repeat M1 year so I feel like I will really need to devote sufficient time to Step 1. I'm considering going into peds, neonatology, or psych... do any of you have advice on what's the best way to spend summer after M1 year for someone in my situation? Should I hunker down and prepare for Step, or should I do research? Do residencies care that much about research? I already have a publication in a well-respected journal. Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did firecracker during summer along with research. Otherwise I just relaxed and tried to travel a bit. I'd recommend that life to anyone. Peds and psych aren't competitive so research isn't that important, but you never know when you could change your mind.

If you want to do research during your career, and you aren't getting a PhD, then the summer after M1 year is sort of the last stop to dig into benchwork, or serious labwork of any kind. You can squeeze some stuff in during MS3/4, but by then you're in the thick of application season already.

There are a lot of fellowships out there to cover summer students in labs, so you should definitely look into that -- no way you should work for free. You can study some, but most of that should come later.

Some lab work during the day, bars and beaches nights and weekends. It's the last summer vacation of your life. Unless you fail out and become a schoolteacher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think of how much you remember from your first exam of the year. Double that knowledge decay. Still think it's still worth studying a year in advance for step?

Reactions: 1 user
Learn Spanish. If you can get the money together go on one of those Spanish-immersion programs in Central/South America.

As a third-year medical student you're generally a useless appendage grafted onto whatever resident/attending you've been assigned to...unless you speak Spanish and the attending/resident doesn't. Even in an area like mine with a relatively small Hispanic population, the "do you speak Spanish?" question has come up multiple times. And being useful like that is the type of thing that gets remembered at evaluation time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Meh, I just relaxed. Would encourage you to do research if you can find a bearable gig and you enjoy it, but otherwise, just chill. This isn't just the last time of your life to have the summer off (most likely), but it is the last summer where you'll truly be able to just leave medicine behind if you want.
It's the last summer vacation of your life. Unless you fail out and become a schoolteacher.
Or you decide to do locums and just don't pick up an assignment over the summer ;) I know an anesthesiologist that only works the late fall into the early spring and surfs the rest of the year.

Reactions: 1 users
Travel. You are not going to have any other time to really travel and it's a good time to take advantage of it.

Have fun, make memories, generate an interesting story. Research is great if you can find something you're passionate in. Like others have said, there are a lot of fellowships around.

One thing I wouldn't do much of is pre-study for Step 1. You will retain very, very little of what you studied, and just start MS2 stressed (so think of how bad it'll be a year later!). Just have fun, see friends, and embrace normalcy before going deeper down the rabbithole.

I'm considering preparing for Step 1 during the summer after M1 year. A bit of background: I had to repeat M1 year so I feel like I will really need to devote sufficient time to Step 1. I'm considering going into peds, neonatology, or psych... do any of you have advice on what's the best way to spend summer after M1 year for someone in my situation? Should I hunker down and prepare for Step, or should I do research? Do residencies care that much about research? I already have a publication in a well-respected journal. Thank you all in advance!
Consider combining travel with a project if you'd like to be productive and still do something fun. A lot of my classmates did Global Health rotations at hospitals abroad in places like Ireland, Spain and Austria. This allowed them to visit a few countries on weekends and to either go to Europe early or stay a few weeks after and travel around even more. You don't even have to go outside of the US to do this; I have another friend that road tripped for a few weeks to the state where her summer program was.

I was a non-trad with significant work and research experience, so I decided not to pay a program to allow me to "work" and instead took that solo backpacking trip that I had been dreaming about for years. It was one of the best things I've ever done.

Whatever you decide, it is your last summer so don't spend it trying too meet other people's expectations. It is quite literally one of the last times you'll have 2 solid months of "me time." Spend it well.

Best thing I saw classmates do was do some research, then travel. Go somewhere and enjoy if you have the cash.

It really is the last time you are truly free. As a 4th yr, I have months off. But basically, most was used doing stuff. Really only 1 was free.

You are constantly working on your application, Step 2 CS/CK, then interviewing, then freaking out on where you are going, then you finally know, and then you chill a bit, lastly graduate and say you are a doctor while the whole lurking in the background you have the feeling of "oh crap, I am a doctor and July 1st will soon be here!" :eek:

Oh yeah, you do a few "real" rotations that require work.

Learn Spanish. If you can get the money together go on one of those Spanish-immersion programs in Central/South America.

As a third-year medical student you're generally a useless appendage grafted onto whatever resident/attending you've been assigned to...unless you speak Spanish and the attending/resident doesn't. Even in an area like mine with a relatively small Hispanic population, the "do you speak Spanish?" question has come up multiple times. And being useful like that is the type of thing that gets remembered at evaluation time.
This is my plan that I hope works out. I have a cursory Spanish skill from my minor, so I want to spend 8 weeks at a Guatemalan language school. All meals and lodging provided for pretty cheap, plus 4-5 hours a day of personal tutoring. Priceless if you have a Hispanic community.

This is my plan that I hope works out. I have a cursory Spanish skill from my minor, so I want to spend 8 weeks at a Guatemalan language school. All meals and lodging provided for pretty cheap, plus 4-5 hours a day of personal tutoring. Priceless if you have a Hispanic community.
Why Guatemala as opposed to Mexico(I'd imagine travel is cheaper)? How much was it? Was 8 whole weeks necessary?

Why Guatemala as opposed to Mexico(I'd imagine travel is cheaper)? How much was it? Was 8 whole weeks necessary?
I haven't been to the language school yet, but I have been to the cities where they are and I just like Guatemala better than Mexico. It's about $200 per week, all inclusive. 8 weeks wouldn't be necessary, especially if one has some Spanish knowledge, but I would like to attain some level of fluency, so I want to go for most of the summer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the way most medical schools are structured, the only summer you get off is the one after M1. Dude, seriously, do some research in a topic you're interested or just take this time off and chll!

@J DUB is right... only in M4 will you have any time off after M1. Honestly, if you're taking Step 1 at the end of M2, you only really need about 5-6 months of proper studying. Whatever you study now you'll probably just forget in a few months because you'll be busy with whatever you have in fall 2016.

If we had a weak foundation in M1 anatomy, physio, biochem, you guys dont think we should spend some time going through BRS books to build a solid foundation during the summer?

If we had a weak foundation in M1 anatomy, physio, biochem, you guys dont think we should spend some time going through BRS books to build a solid foundation during the summer?

Prior to M1? No, you will likely not pace it right and spend weeks stressing over obscure details and exhaust your knowledge in the first week of each class.
Reviewing M1? Probably not, you will waste your research summer re-learning stuff you will forget and have to re-learn during dedicated Step studying anyways.

Prior to M1? No, you will likely not pace it right and spend weeks stressing over obscure details and exhaust your knowledge in the first week of each class.
Reviewing M1? Probably not, you will waste your research summer re-learning stuff you will forget and have to re-learn during dedicated Step studying anyways.

if you have a weak foundation in those subjects building it during the summer doesn't seem like a bad idea, I'm obv talking about post m1, pre m1 studying is wrong

If you already have a Publication in a well respected journal you are already ahead of where most Peds and Psych residents will be at the end of their residencies.

If you want research, my advice is always to get started on clinical research. Bench work isn't going to get you anywhere unless you have a full year to do it. If you like Peds I have found NICU, PICU, and Peds Heme/Onc doctors usually can all direct you towards a project or two. Just cold call them and ask to do a chart review, or something similar. Peds isn't plastics/ortho where every gunner is banging on the door begging for a research project and a LOR, usually Peds attendings are ecstatic to mentor someone who is actually interested in their field.

Also don't wait for the summer, start now. Clinical research usually takes very few actual hours, but many, many months. Write an IRB, send to advisor, wait a month for edits. Get edits, submit to IRB, wait two months, get more edits. Complete Edits, approve IRB, spend 2-4 weekends actually doing the project, send to stats guy, wait two months. Get stats back, write up paper, send to advisor, wait two months for edits. Accept edits, send to journal, wait four months for comments. Get comments, send back, wait three months for acceptance. Accepted! Wait 6 months for publication. Just start now and you might get it done in time for the match.

I agree with the posters above that step 1 prep is going to be very low yield this far out from the test. Also I agree with the posters above about the Spanish thing if you're not fluent yet. Great investment.

Reactions: 3 users
So for those recommending research during this summer, are you talking about doing research in the field you're interested in? Or just publish whatever you can?

I'm starting medical school in August, and the two fields I'm most interested in now are psychiatry and ophthalmology. If I decide to reach for ophth, and do ophth research, but end up applying to psych, would the research experience raise some eyebrows? And vice versa?

So for those recommending research during this summer, are you talking about doing research in the field you're interested in? Or just publish whatever you can?

I'm starting medical school in August, and the two fields I'm most interested in now are psychiatry and ophthalmology. If I decide to reach for ophth, and do ophth research, but end up applying to psych, would the research experience raise some eyebrows? And vice versa?

Better to do research in a more competitive field like ophtho and change your mind to pursue a less competitive field like psych later on. Ultimately when you get to residency interviews it's more important that you can show you pursued something you were interested in and got it to the publication stage, and can talk about it intelligently, than the particular area of research (though obviously if you can do research in the field you apply to, that's better). You can always take a year or two off after 3rd year if you decide your life will be a failure if you don't do something like plastics at the #1 program and would need research specific to the field.

what about research abroad vs at your home institution? I could stay at my home school and do good research in the field I'm interested in, or do research out east in a city I want to match in eventually. I'll likely be paying out of pocket for the summer if I go abroad, but it's in a city I love and the work is similar. I want to confirm whether my goal is to match there, and also build some relationships at the school and maybe physicians in the city.

Is this too ambitious for nine weeks during the summer, to really make any sort of connections that would significantly help me come residency app time? I plan to eventually do 1 or 2 away rotations in the city too, but M1 summer is the only other time I have off. I could do research at my home school this semester and fall of M2, but again paying out of pocket for what may be no real benefit is a little scary. I also have no real acquaintances in the east coast city as of now...

what about research abroad vs at your home institution? I could stay at my home school and do good research in the field I'm interested in, or do research out east in a city I want to match in eventually. I'll likely be paying out of pocket for the summer if I go abroad, but it's in a city I love and the work is similar. I want to confirm whether my goal is to match there, and also build some relationships at the school and maybe physicians in the city.

Is this too ambitious for nine weeks during the summer, to really make any sort of connections that would significantly help me come residency app time? I plan to eventually do 1 or 2 away rotations in the city too, but M1 summer is the only other time I have off. I could do research at my home school this semester and fall of M2, but again paying out of pocket for what may be no real benefit is a little scary. I also have no real acquaintances in the east coast city as of now...
I would stay at home personally for various reasons:
-paying double rent or dealing with subletting (honestly this is the biggest issue)
-hassle of getting approval to do research at another institution, EPIC access for clinical research, etc
-what are the odds of publishing anything in 9 wks as an M1? Slim to none. Then you are stuck either hoping someone else at that institution is willing to finish your project, or you have to do long distance research during your next x years at school to finish up a project (not impossible, but annoying)
-Building relationships: maybe with your PI but not likely with many other people at that institution that could improve your chances of matching there. And if you end up going into a different field, you've probably gained nothing. An away rotation would likely do more than any sort of research program to indicate your propensity to move to a different region.

That said, you could make it work going out east, so if you are dead set on it don't let me deter you. Factors that would be helpful in making going out east to do research a better proposition would be: a solid stipend for your work, clinical research, clinical project that is likely to be publishable in 2 months, clinical project that you will be able to continue working on from home after you leave (and lose epic access at x institution..), bigwig PI or PD who you are confident is good to work for, etc....

The rest of your post is also confusing.. Are you saying you have to pay out of pocket to do research at your home institution? If we knew the details of your two research opportunities we could give better advice.

Thanks for the ideas. It's unfortunate, I had longtime friends in the area but just found out they were not going to be there over the summer. I would be paying out of pocket to go east, maybe, staying home would not cost me anything extra. I've applied to two national programs in the city but they are obviously rather competitive. What i do have now is a promise to volunteer full time in a researcher's lab at an institution in the city. She has agreed to hold the spot for me until I find out/decide in March about either staying home (where I'm not paying money) or if I got into one of the funded programs out east. The unfunded spot with her could be funded however with one of four national funding grants that go to students working in hepatology.

Her work is basic science, which is something I was slightly against initially because I understand the difficulties in doing anything in nine weeks, however she mentioned that last summer she had an undergraduate come in and do basic science for the first time--and he ended up getting his name on the eventual pub by working on his little project and eventually contributing a figure. This would be my first time doing basic science (which I think I need to eventually gain experience in), and thus am searching and getting involved in clinical stuff at my home school. I'm not against putting in 8-10 hours per week during the school year and next two semesters, so that's helped me in my search. I'm actively finding research/participating at my home school and am being prudent about finding projects here that will lead to good results (whether that's over the next two semesters or possibly the summer).

In the end if my best friends were going to still be in the city, I would likely be going regardless of funding. Now I may just wait to see whether I get into one of the national programs or gain funding from NASPHGAN. This is why I'm still looking for clinical research at home I could continue over the summer if the funding doesn't come into play. But again, if it's worth it to enjoy the city/new environment/meet some people then I would do it regardless of the cost. :/ Depends on my spontaneity and willingness to shell out the cash

The prospective mentor did a great job of selling the overall 'experience' of coming to work with her over the summer. That outside of the lab it would be beneficial to 1. try basic science for the first time after thinking she'd hate it (she did that in residency and loved it--now a academic physician) 2. confirm my desire to do residency in the city 3. she'd be useful to know as she does play a role in residency apps, although by no means was she saying she's some bigwig.

Last edited:
If you already have a Publication in a well respected journal you are already ahead of where most Peds and Psych residents will be at the end of their residencies.

If you want research, my advice is always to get started on clinical research. Bench work isn't going to get you anywhere unless you have a full year to do it. If you like Peds I have found NICU, PICU, and Peds Heme/Onc doctors usually can all direct you towards a project or two. Just cold call them and ask to do a chart review, or something similar. Peds isn't plastics/ortho where every gunner is banging on the door begging for a research project and a LOR, usually Peds attendings are ecstatic to mentor someone who is actually interested in their field.

Also don't wait for the summer, start now. Clinical research usually takes very few actual hours, but many, many months. Write an IRB, send to advisor, wait a month for edits. Get edits, submit to IRB, wait two months, get more edits. Complete Edits, approve IRB, spend 2-4 weekends actually doing the project, send to stats guy, wait two months. Get stats back, write up paper, send to advisor, wait two months for edits. Accept edits, send to journal, wait four months for comments. Get comments, send back, wait three months for acceptance. Accepted! Wait 6 months for publication. Just start now and you might get it done in time for the match.

I agree with the posters above that step 1 prep is going to be very low yield this far out from the test. Also I agree with the posters above about the Spanish thing if you're not fluent yet. Great investment.

Can you elaborate more on what a chart review is? Thanks.

Can you elaborate more on what a chart review is? Thanks.

The most common kind of research project undertaken by medical students (as first authors). You try to prove your hypothesis by reviewing existing medical records, and analyzing statistical trends in the data you obtain. By definition it requires no funding or support facilities (other than access to an electronic medical record and a staff statistician), so its a perfect first step towards building your CV.

Her work is basic science, which is something I was slightly against initially because I understand the difficulties in doing anything in nine weeks, however she mentioned that last summer she had an undergraduate come in and do basic science for the first time--and he ended up getting his name on the eventual pub by working on his little project and eventually contributing a figure. This would be my first time doing basic science (which I think I need to eventually gain experience in), and thus am searching and getting involved in clinical stuff at my home school. I'm not against putting in 8-10 hours per week during the school year and next two semesters, so that's helped me in my search. I'm actively finding research/participating at my home school and am being prudent about finding projects here that will lead to good results (whether that's over the next two semesters or possibly the summer).

The prospective mentor did a great job of selling the overall 'experience' of coming to work with her over the summer. That outside of the lab it would be beneficial to 1. try basic science for the first time after thinking she'd hate it (she did that in residency and loved it--now a academic physician) 2. confirm my desire to do residency in the city 3. she'd be useful to know as she does play a role in residency apps, although by no means was she saying she's some bigwig.
Yeah definitely keep your options open for now and see what falls through.

Few things from your post that you may already know but if not could impact your decision:
-unless you know you want to do basic science in the future you do not need experience in it to do medicine. Not even academic medicine. Between clinician educator tracks and the growth of clinical research (along with the continuing crunch for basic science funding) I would guess that the number of academic MDs doing basic science research percentage-wise is at and absolute low and will only continue to drop.
- her n=1 of an undergrad getting published doesn't do much for me and doesn't assure you a productive summer. Also assuming he/she only contributed 1 figure to the project they are probably way down the author list where clinical chart reviews (as mentioned above) can often be first author papers for students.

A lot of your other points are things only you can answer. I will say it does sound like this mentor is excited about you coming and wants to work with you and help you as much as she can, so that's a plus. Is she a PD or just someone that sits on the residency committee from time to time? That could give you some more info about how much of a feather in your cap this relationship will be come application time.

A lot of your other points are things only you can answer. I will say it does sound like this mentor is excited about you coming and wants to work with you and help you as much as she can, so that's a plus. Is she a PD or just someone that sits on the residency committee from time to time? That could give you some more info about how much of a feather in your cap this relationship will be come application time.

I'm going to be emailing her shortly to touch base and gauge what kinds of projects may be there. I feel comfortable enough to voice my concerns about having an impactful experience, especially if I'm paying, but I know theres only so much she can share with me regarding the professional benefit I would get by being there. I should ask her what her role is on the residency committee, but getting a good LOR from her would surely look good when applying in the city (although same thing could be accomplished during away rotation).
She'll say it's good to know her and meet colleagues but what else is she gonna say? In the coming months I'll learn more about funding and about her specific project for the summer. If I don't go now then I'll just have to wait until an away rotation I guess! Thanks for your help

Research is great if you need it. I spent the summer relaxing: traveled, gardened, visited museums. I came back to school refreshed and relaxed. It still works. I advocate for it.

Get published in research. It's becoming a an unofficial requirement for competitive specialties and residencies.

While we're on the topic of summer research, I thought of something last night that I wasn't entirely sure about. When searching for a research mentor, is there a significant difference between seeking out an MD vs PhD to work with as a medical student? I worked with two different PhDs in undergrad and they were both phenomenal mentors, but I'm wondering now that I'm a medical student if it might be beneficial to work with a physician scientist? Thoughts?

is it hard to get stuff published? Some of you make it sound like cake.

While we're on the topic of summer research, I thought of something last night that I wasn't entirely sure about. When searching for a research mentor, is there a significant difference between seeking out an MD vs PhD to work with as a medical student? I worked with two different PhDs in undergrad and they were both phenomenal mentors, but I'm wondering now that I'm a medical student if it might be beneficial to work with a physician scientist? Thoughts?
Either can be fine, it more depends on the type of research they are doing. I haven't seen many PhDs doing straight clinical research, while MDs are less likely to be doing basic science.

is it hard to get stuff published? Some of you make it sound like cake.
Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes, but vastly differing levels of "hard" depending on the quality of your mentor and likelihood of your project to yield a publishable result.

Short answer: yes
Long answer: yes, but vastly differing levels of "hard" depending on the quality of your mentor and likelihood of your project to yield a publishable result.

Is it possible to get published within that 10 or so week summer break?
What if I join a basic science lab in a desired (competitive) specialty in beginning of M1 (meeting with the PIs and all before M1 starts), do about 8-10 hrs/week through M1; then continue it full-time during that summer break; then devote no more than 4-5 hrs/week during M2? Would this long-term commitment to a single lab relevant to my desired specialty give me the best chance of publishing 1st/2nd author?
And does M3 provide any time for research? Maybe to do a more clinical project to sort of complement the basic science project?

Best thing to do is to take all of the advice to heart then decide given all of this what would make you happiest

Is it possible to get published within that 10 or so week summer break?
What if I join a basic science lab in a desired (competitive) specialty in beginning of M1 (meeting with the PIs and all before M1 starts), do about 8-10 hrs/week through M1; then continue it full-time during that summer break; then devote no more than 4-5 hrs/week during M2? Would this long-term commitment to a single lab relevant to my desired specialty give me the best chance of publishing 1st/2nd author?
And does M3 provide any time for research? Maybe to do a more clinical project to sort of complement the basic science project?
You are asking unanswerable questions. Research, especially basic science, does not follow set timelines very well. You could invest double the amount of time you list above and get nothing concrete, or half that amount and get multiple publications. Just depends on how the data turns out and how well the project is designed.

Due to the above, my advice has always been to find a clinical research project in a field you enjoy with a PI who is motivated to publish and is willing to give you the reins to "own" the project. If you can find that sort of opportunity, then the only barrier to publication is your own work ethic.

M3 has time for research, especially during easier rotations, but is still much more difficult than doing research during M1/2 due to lack of flexibility in your schedule.

You are asking unanswerable questions. Research, especially basic science, does not follow set timelines very well. You could invest double the amount of time you list above and get nothing concrete, or half that amount and get multiple publications. Just depends on how the data turns out and how well the project is designed.

Due to the above, my advice has always been to find a clinical research project in a field you enjoy with a PI who is motivated to publish and is willing to give you the reins to "own" the project. If you can find that sort of opportunity, then the only barrier to publication is your own work ethic.

M3 has time for research, especially during easier rotations, but is still much more difficult than doing research during M1/2 due to lack of flexibility in your schedule.

But would clinical research be better over basic science research if my goal residencies are primarily academic, which (as far as I know) are basic-science-oriented? Also, say in the worst-case scenario, I get no 1st/2nd author pub out of the basic science lab; would writing a review article or abstract or doing multiple conference presentations (each within desired specialty) count?
And M3 is less flexible due to simultaneous rotations and shelf/Step 2 studying, correct?
Thanks for the suggestions.

But would clinical research be better over basic science research if my goal residencies are primarily academic, which (as far as I know) are basic-science-oriented? Also, say in the worst-case scenario, I get no 1st/2nd author pub out of the basic science lab; would writing a review article or abstract or doing multiple conference presentations (each within desired specialty) count?
And M3 is less flexible due to simultaneous rotations and shelf/Step 2 studying, correct?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Academic residencies are not basic science oriented. Pubs >>>> abstracts/presentations, etc. Regardless of basic science or not.

M3 is less flexible due to rotations, primarily.