Best things to do to raise chances of acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfgreen30

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post so I hope I'm posting correctly.

I want to gain acceptance to a DO school in the next 2-3 years. I'm a 21yo male currently attending UF. I am at the end of my junior year about to be a senior. I got my AA in high school and immediately started taking science courses(at least 3 a semester) when I started University. I have a hard time adjusting to the academic rigors that accompany university. I got in over my head multiple times and had to withdraw from some course. I had one really bad semester Fall of 2016 after my girlfriend of three years broke up with me. I have been working as medical scribe in the ER for the last year. I have spent over 800hrs in the ER. I assist with equipment when the physician I'm working with has to preform a procedure(i.e. chest tube, central line, intubation, conscious sedation, LP, I&D, etc.). I check on patients, am present for the initial patient interview, follow all the labs, essentially anything the physician does I'm right next to him assisting and observing. I have worked with over 40 doctors(both DO and MD). I am getting my EMR certification this summer as well. I plan on continuing my part time job as a scribe for at least another year and plan on doing some work as an EMT in the future. I have no research experience. My current sGPA according to the aacomas criteria is 2.85(it was 3.2 before my fall 2016 semester, I was planning on utilizing the grade forgiveness policy but am aware its been discontinued). My overall gpa is 3.4 and my nonscience gpa is 3.6. I have not taken the MCAT but plan on doing a prep course and taking it in January 2018 in order to have scores for an smp, or master's program. Once I learned the grade forgiveness policy was disbanded I picked up a second major to raise my undergrad sGPA. I am now majoring in microbiology and nutrition. If I do well I should be able to raise my sGPA to 3.2 before I graduate(Spring 2018). I then plan on doing graduate work(either smp or masters in science) for a year or two while I strengthen my academic record.

I'm posting this because I'd like opinions and advice in regards to my current plan and suggestions on what I should do differently or ways to raise my chances of acceptance.

Thank you! Any comments help.

cfgreen30

Members don't see this ad.

Attending a DO program within 2 years (applying summer senior year) is perfectly reasonable for you if you can do your grade repair junior year -- this depends on how many science credits you have//will be able to take. Question:
Are you a URM? (under represented minority)
How many science credits have you completed?
What pre-reqs do you have left?

To boost your chances:
1) plan your senior schedule to take a manageable course load so you can ACE your science classes. If you can show a positive trend (i.e. you can HANDLE the academic rigors of med school) you'll put yourself in a great position. Take a few upper level science courses and get A's

2) Spend serious time/effort studying for the MCAT. Do well, >505 and it'll offset a mediocre GPA.

3) Be prepared to apply broadly and as soon as AACOMAS applications open.

Your ECs look great. Applying at the end of your senior year is totally reasonable IMO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Attending a DO program within 2 years (applying summer senior year) is perfectly reasonable for you. Question:
Are you a URM? (under represented minority)
How many science credits have you completed?
What pre-reqs do you have left?

To boost your chances:
1) plan your senior schedule to take a manageable course load so you can ACE your science classes. If you can show a positive trend (i.e. you can HANDLE the academic rigors of med school) you'll put yourself in a great position. Take a few upper level science courses and get A's

2) Spend serious time/effort studying for the MCAT. Do well, >505 and it'll offset a mediocre GPA.

3) Be prepared to apply broadly and as soon as AACOMAS applications open.

Your ECs look great. Applying at the end of your senior year is totally reasonable IMO

Edit -- +1,000 for Goro's advice thread

Continue volunteering, raise your sGPA to 3.2 (average sGPA for DO schools is 3.4), get a 505 (average is 502) or greater on the mcat. Do these three things and you should be golden.